Tannehill And Sacks | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tannehill And Sacks

I thought the protection for the most part on Sunday was good. This often comes back to pocket presence, decision making and unloading the ball to avoid negative plays.

There was a play that clearly demonstrated RTs lack of awareness in that a blitz is coming, Jets are telegraphing it, and RT merely succumbs to it and gets crumbled in 2.5 seconds instead of a hot read or throwaway.

These types of negative plays kill any drive.

We didn’t play stunts/twist well on the road. Maybe it was communication maybe it was Larsen not doing well on them. He was the primary culprit but tanny needs to also show better awareness and understand that I don’t care if for example gesicki is responsible for the strong safety post snap coming across the formation you can’t trust him. Stuff like that.

Gase also needs to know who will get the qb killed in pass pro and take them out when he wants to take shots.

Tannehill climbed the pocket multiple times into sacks where Larsen blew the pass off/pick up.

Another time Jesse davis didn’t have good awareness but overall I have been happy with him.

They couldn’t win on the edge vs our tackles so they went to hoping that scheme would get to the qb and it did when we didn’t handle assignments and the qb didn’t show awareness.

Play more smythe. I don’t care if it’s considered somewhat of a tell he’s the best blocking tight end by far.

I've been blaming Tannehill's errors on rust. He's little more than a game manager in this offense unless they start taking some more shots. I'd like to see more mid range throws on third down, PAST THE STICKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When you climb the pocket towards your target in the progression and you get sacked it’s not on the qb in a progression based scheme.

The game clincher 3rd and 19 to gore he climbed the pocket on. He just didn’t have a guard blowing an assignment despite the vertical concepts he has to wait to develop on.

I would like to see a screen pass or 2 to help slow the rush down. I may be wrong but I dont remember us attempting one. Also if u notice, what the Jets did with Darnold, which kept him from holding the ball mostly, was he had 2 reads of not there then he moved with his feet to buy time. So no sitting back and checking multiple reads. This way your not sitting back there for 5 seconds expecting your line to hold. The Jets front 4 is too strong to expect that long to throw. Against teams with a solid pass rush, you need plays where your getting the ball out less than 3 seconds. If it's not there scramble and see what you can do with your feet to buy time.

There was one play I recall I felt like Tanny had the ball in his hands for over 5 seconds and he was sacked. I was screaming at the TV for him to just throw the damn ball away. There was another sack here he started to roll to his right with a corner blitz coming from his left. I felt like he almost looked right at him as he started to roll to his right and still he was sacked from behind while he was outside the pocket and a simply throw into the stands would've saved us yards

I'm real excited to be 2-0 so please don't see this as a sky is falling or negative Nancy type post, but something I am curious about.

One thing I wanted to watch closely going into this game was how the O-line would play after the loss of Sitton. So normally with 4 sacks on Tannehill you would assume the pass pro wasn't so good. However, I'm not so sure.

I feel like at least 2 of those sacks were from RT holding the ball too long or not being able to throw it away. Is he trying to play it safe and not throw an INT? Are we trying deep plays so thats why he holds it so long? Or is this (and always has been) a weakness of his?

Or am I wrong and those 4 sacks are indeed on the line? We used a ton of short crossing routes and screens, perhaps to help get the ball out fast.

Anyway, my question to all the resident experts here: Do we have poor pass protection, or is Tannehill just holding the ball too long? Or are the Jets just a tough pass rushing team?

I'm watching Bears/Hawks. Wilson has held the ball too long a time or two. Let's not pretend Tannehill is by himself

Only one I remember the he was out of the pocket was the fumble. And he lost it on a pump fake. And that guy was on him so fast I don’t know if he could of safely thrown it away on that one.
The other one was where he was running to the sideline and nowhere to throw and got caught from behind.

He did hold the ball too long Sunday. Pocket presence is not something i don’t think he’ll ever fully grasp. It’s one of the most uncoachable things in football. You have it or you don’t.

I don't believe it is a matter of coaching him. He knows how to do it. He showed that later in the game where he just tossed the ball out of bounce. So he knows how to do that.
It is always such a fine line between "throw it away", holding on too long and something might open up. I always was of the opinion that Tannehill should have sat the first year. It is a tough transition from college to NFL especially with a QB who only played half his college career at the QB position. The forced sidelining last year and looking at the game from a coaching perspective did wonders to him. His pocket presence is so much improved.
Initially I thought it was still a pocket presence problem but as the game went on and when that sack - where he was running to the sideline - happened I am pretty sure that this is not a flaw anymore. I think he is trying to do too much and is looking to make a play. That is not a QB flaw or coachable. It is actually an admirable trade to have a QB who is looking to make a play the very last second. He has to realize that sometimes there is really no play available. I think he will get to that as the season goes on.

Numerous posters are suggesting that Tannehill should throw it away to avoid the sack. Two of the sacks were on third down and throwing it away would result in a punt. Here is what actually happened on the plays and the following play:

3-8-MIA 42(7:46) (Shotgun) 17-R.Tannehill sacked at MIA 27 for -15 yards (96-H.Anderson).
4-23-MIA 27(7:00) 2-M.Haack punts 63 yards to NYJ 10, Center-92-J.Denney, out of bounds.

3-5-NYJ 44(7:56) (Shotgun) 17-R.Tannehill sacked at MIA 48 for -8 yards (51-B.Copeland).
4-13-MIA 48(7:26) 2-M.Haack punts 44 yards to NYJ 8, Center-92-J.Denney, fair catch by 19-A.Roberts.

Punts to the 10 and 8 yard line. So, two of the plays that have caused so much angst had ZERO impact on the game. I still would like to see him take off a bit sooner, but please keep some perspective.

Numerous posters are suggesting that Tannehill should throw it away to avoid the sack. Two of the sacks were on third down and throwing it away would result in a punt. Here is what actually happened on the plays and the following play:

3-8-MIA 42(7:46) (Shotgun) 17-R.Tannehill sacked at MIA 27 for -15 yards (96-H.Anderson).
4-23-MIA 27(7:00) 2-M.Haack punts 63 yards to NYJ 10, Center-92-J.Denney, out of bounds.

3-5-NYJ 44(7:56) (Shotgun) 17-R.Tannehill sacked at MIA 48 for -8 yards (51-B.Copeland).
4-13-MIA 48(7:26) 2-M.Haack punts 44 yards to NYJ 8, Center-92-J.Denney, fair catch by 19-A.Roberts.

Punts to the 10 and 8 yard line. So, two of the plays that have caused so much angst had ZERO impact on the game. I still would like to see him take off a bit sooner, but please keep some perspective.

We are real damn lucky he was wearing a brace on that Henry Anderson sack. His left leg was pinned underneath of him.

The football gods will only give you so many mulligans.

The second sack was a blown pass off and pick up it’s not on the qb. Hopefully that cleans up with reps left tackle left guard

RT has been known to hold the ball to long and take the sacks. I am sure Sittons loss contributed to this issue. I also read that our recievers were not getting separation at times which also could have contributed to the sack situations.

Back
Top Bottom