Tannehill Extension - When is it due? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tannehill Extension - When is it due?

FrankP

Starter
Reaction score
Hello all,

Actual question here, amidst the new mess this team made...

Is it anywhere in a rumor that Tannehill will get an extension? From my calculations, next year is the last year of his rookie contract... Are they correct?

Do the Dolphins do the 'Dolphins thing' and let it go to the end of the season and then have to overpay or loose the only good QB option we had since forever and a year?

I wonder because with this cluster-F of a management structure that is bound to create power-struggles ALL OVER the place, I can see his case being an item that is the case of a power-trip and him just walking out the door...

Frank

no extension. The Dolphins will need to make a decision on picking up his 5th year option for 2016. That will cost the team a one year salary equivalent to the transition tag at his position. In 2016 the can franchise tag if they want. Technically the can now redo his contract if they want to be it's likely they will just use the option and see how it goes next season as it may be too early to fully commit to him on a full new contract.

Hello all,

Actual question here, amidst the new mess this team made...

Is it anywhere in a rumor that Tannehill will get an extension? From my calculations, next year is the last year of his rookie contract... Are they correct?

Do the Dolphins do the 'Dolphins thing' and let it go to the end of the season and then have to overpay or loose the only good QB option we had since forever and a year?

I wonder because with this cluster-F of a management structure that is bound to create power-struggles ALL OVER the place, I can see his case being an item that is the case of a power-trip and him just walking out the door...

Frank

No extension at this time.

Tannehill is still under contract for his 4th year which will pay him crumbs (honestly), around $4.5 in 2015.

Team then has a 2016 option, around $15 basically full guaranteed (injury).

The better question becomes does the team want to take that $15 guaranteed and spread that into a new 'franchise' deal, I assume something similar to what Andy Dalton got...

6 Year / $96 / $17 Guaranteed / $12 Sign Bonus

Basically, the real noise will start at the end of the 2015 season when it's either his 5th year option, or a franchise deal.

If 5th year option is picked up, then the noise becomes a 2017 franchise deal.

Same situation with Pouncey, team has a 5th year option availalbe NOW around $7.5, team can either let him hit FA, hit him with the 5th year option, or try and get a franchise deal done.

Won't be shocked to see this team pick up the 5th on Pouncey and see how he bounces back from a OK year at Guard (rumors are he is getting kicked back to Center).

The issue with Pouncey becomes the franchise deal. His brother just got paid...big time.

6 Year / $45 / $13 Sign / $13 Guaranteed.

Mike Pouncey (our guy) looks for the same deal or walks. (FH chatter will tell you his drama and bully-gate, drug parties not worth the squeeze).

:idk:

Tannehill is still under contract for his 4th year which will pay him crumbs (honestly), around $4.5 in 2015.

The better question becomes does the team want to take that $15 guaranteed and spread that into a new 'franchise' deal, I assume something similar to what Andy Dalton got...

Basically, the real noise will start at the end of the 2015 season when it's either his 5th year option, or a franchise deal.

Same situation with Pouncey, team has a 5th year option availalbe NOW around $7.5, team can either let him hit FA, hit him with the 5th year option, or try and get a franchise deal done.

Won't be shocked to see this team pick up the 5th on Pouncey and see how he bounces back from a OK year at Guard (rumors are he is getting kicked back to Center).

The issue with Pouncey becomes the franchise deal. His brother just got paid...big time.

Mike Pouncey (our guy) looks for the same deal or walks. (FH chatter will tell you his drama and bully-gate, drug parties not worth the squeeze).

Wow, great answer! Thanks!!

It would be really dumb not to resign pouncey. He will calm down and fly right soon. He's just young.

If I'm Tannehill I decline signing an extension unless they fix the OL. If they don't, I go on the open market.

Miami has until march or may 3rd this year to decide if they want to pick up Tannehill's 5th year option.

Tannehill is going to get north of 100 mil which equates to 20 ish per season whether we pay him or lose him to someone else.

If I'm Tannehill I decline signing an extension unless they fix the OL. If they don't, I go on the open market.

Let him go then. That would be an awful move for Ryan IMO. He's not a Marino type QB, it's clear Ryan needs a system around him to bring out the best of his abilities and Miami seems intent on putting that system around him. The OLine is being worked on, Jeff Ireland was just a guy who was in love with untalented cornfed beef. Hickey (if still here after this Tannenbaum mess) did well for what he had to work with, and the oline is closer than at any point during the Jeff Ireland era (08-09 I attribute to Parcells). Injuries suck, but lack of depth when you have then is an even worse thing.

Ryan can build his own legacy with the Dolphins if he keeps improving and certainly it's the most profitable situation for him . . . his wife can do what she wants . . . he's not leaving here on his own will.

And yea, Miami has no pressure on them right now. They have him for 2 more years if they want him. Can't just throw him 20 million a season right now when next season looks bleak as hell. We can afford to be patient.

I still think that if the Phins let Tannehill test the open market...he will be come a Pat and the bane of our existence for the next decade...

I still think that if the Phins let Tannehill test the open market...he will be come a Pat and the bane of our existence for the next decade...

if it hits the open market they are morons...nothing else to say really...teams will line up for that...i think though in his 2nd year in the o and provided the oline is adequate not a train wreck it's gonna play itself out and they will end up spending more money in the long run to retain him if they dont pick up that option

which if they do pass that option up but have not worked out an extension prior they are as dumb as they come...he's the best player on the team...lock that **** up for another year and worst case buy yourself time

if it hits the open market they are morons...nothing else to say really...teams will line up for that...i think though in his 2nd year in the o and provided the oline is adequate not a train wreck it's gonna play itself out and they will end up spending more money in the long run to retain him if they dont pick up that option

which if they do pass that option up but have not worked out an extension prior they are as dumb as they come...he's the best player on the team...lock that **** up for another year and worst case buy yourself time

He has shown progress (significant) each year he has been in the league...no regression...just improvement. He will be going into next season with a full year in the offense and hopefully a more adequate o-line....if he does....Ross will need to order one of those big ass novelty checks....

He has shown progress (significant) each year he has been in the league...no regression...just improvement. He will be going into next season with a full year in the offense and hopefully a more adequate o-line....if he does....Ross will need to order one of those big ass novelty checks....

lazor needs to give him the opportunity next year to check out of crap play calls at the los that he sees especially those pa ones where they send more than we can handle and the qbs staring at the freaking blitzers presnap but cant do anything but roll with it...and he rolls right into it

i better see some damn kill calls and audibles at the los next year...not in that read option but in the regular step drops and shotgun etc...every other freaking team in the league does it...there was more kill calls at the los by qbs in the wildcard weekend than i could freaking count

and of course this season would be a GREAT time to roll with fast tempo and no huddle and instead of expose your weaknesses if you have them mask them with that tempo...but i'll die before that happens

as for the qb extension if by picking up that option you buy yourself an extra year and can lower that cap hit in 2016 with a long term extension prior to that league year beginning it is a plain no freaking brainer...pick it up...period

Fins have until the end of April to make a decision on Tannehill's 5th year option. If the option is exercised, it is fully guaranteed for injury in 2015. Once the new league year begins in March of 2016, the option year if fully guaranteed for injury and skill.

I think they should just give him a 4 or 5 year deal instead of exercising that option. It could save them a lot money down the road imo.

Back
Top Bottom