Tannehill Sucked Today | Page 14 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tannehill Sucked Today

Fannehill people will say hey we are 2-0 and excuse every mediocre trait this guy is still displaying in year seven. Oh yea, he’s still rusty. Truth is he is just ok. Not great, doesn’t completely suck. There are valid points to both sides but sometimes the overall gut instinct on a guy is very different from the stats and numbers. The numbers are solidly undebatable. But that impression of a guy that just can’t deliver the dagger, no killer instinct, the will to win, the imposing of will, pocket presence, the outsmarting and outplaying skill guys is not there. That is from the eyeball test. He doesn’t make your toes tingle, as the great Mandich would say. You can’t put that in a stat. He’s just ok. This team will expose him as being a weak link in time.

Lol, you know nothing about this guy or sport at all. Gonna be a tough year for you haters, I tried to warn you guys but most people thought the entire team was going to suck (wrong!) . 9-1 speaks for itself and it's only the beginning, gonna be a tough year for some...

Last edited:
9-1 must be all smoke & mirrors, amirite? LOL

Ive seen you mention that a couple times. Is there a reason you aren't extrapolating to the 2 loses before that as well? He's technically 10-5 (Sept 11 2016 - September 17 2018) as a starter. Not bad at all, but was just curious why you keep posting that talking point.

Ive seen you mention that a couple times. Is there a reason you aren't extrapolating to the 2 loses before that as well? He's technically 10-5 (Sept 11 2016 - September 17 2018) as a starter. Not bad at all, but was just curious why you keep posting that talking point.

Why do you bring those up? In his last 10 games he's won 9 of them, something that would be talked about with any QB (except RT), especially coming back from injury. People just don't like Tannehill and want to be proven right that he sucks/is mediocre, 9-1 doesn't fit that narrative but too bad, deal with it!

Deep ball is not a high percentage hit. You need to expect to miss half of them.

Think of it like an open 3 point shot. The best shooter in the game, Curry, will probably hit 5/10.

I would like to see more shots, as Gase and RT seem to wait for that one perfect one per game. Id like to see 3-4 per game.

So to say it was a horrible throw, or a game changing play, you need to watch other football games. Brady missed one too yesterday. Its normal.

I swear the haters watch the fins game, then sports center highlights. And think RT has to match the top 10 highlights to be solid.

Watch the other QB's ENTIRE games. Snap by snap. There's always 3-4 bad plays, missed throws, sacks, whatever that's solely on the QB.

Deep ball is not a high percentage hit. You need to expect to miss half of them.

Think of it like an open 3 point shot. The best shooter in the game, Curry, will probably hit 5/10.

I would like to see more shots, as Gase and RT seem to wait for that one perfect one per game. Id like to see 3-4 per game.

So to say it was a horrible throw, or a game changing play, you need to watch other football games. Brady missed one too yesterday. Its normal.

I swear the haters watch the fins game, then sports center highlights. And think RT has to match the top 10 highlights to be solid.

Watch the other QB's ENTIRE games. Snap by snap. There's always 3-4 bad plays, missed throws, sacks, whatever that's solely on the QB.

The simple truth is, a lot of people have been dogging him for years and have a vested interest in watching him f*** up, so they try and downplay his positives and focus on the negatives. Just like how I have a vested interest in watching him succeed, what's great about sports is one group will likely be proven very wrong beyond any doubt and obviously I believe I'm on the right side. Time will tell in the end.

True.. but remember how badly he started and on the basis of that, how his detractors were dancing in delight?

It took awhile for Gase's system and vision to kick in.. and that's the benchmark being used: 9-1 run ever since everything clicked

... but overall in 2016 even before that happened while RT was experiencing some bumps in the road, still he was 8-5 which last I looked equated to a .615 winning percentage.

edit: FWIW I am one of many who reference this streak

This, exactly.

And this is why I don't get the "why are we called haters when we're realists?" crowd.

Tannehill isn't perfect; far from it. He made some mistakes, and frustrated the hell out of me on a couple plays. He did that Week 1, too. MOST Quarterbacks did. But there are people on this board just waiting to pounce on anything he does that ISN'T perfect. And then they say stuff like "It doesn't take a genius to see that the team won in spite of Tannehill today."

THAT is what makes a hater. Continually pointing out the negatives, minimizing the positives, framing it as a logical argument, then implying that anyone who disagrees with them lacks intelligence.

And regarding that previous comment? No. No they didn't. They won because of a team effort, and because Tannehill made plays when it counted the most. People have been clamoring for that, and now that it's been happening in his last handful of starts, all of a sudden that's not what's important to some.

Last edited:
Adam- you went a loooong way to explain what everyone gets:

QBR is limited because it uses only predefined objective standards.

However it's far ahead of the THill Detractor Method:

Pick out a few bad plays out of 40 or 50 good ones, and then compare those to what happens when a play works perfectly and conclude you have a bad qb.

THIS is the main point the haters miss. I honestly think they know very little about football and likely never played the game.

I mean, how can you be any kind of knowledgeable fan and not understand that? ALL QBs make a few bad plays almost every game- especially when facing adversity.

They honestly dont get it (giving them the benefit of the doubt that theyre not intentionally obtuse).

That throw was spot on on line just a little bit deep. Maybe dvp with his length catches it.

I didn’t have a problem with his foot work on that one maybe a little bit tighter than ideal. 2 yards from a walk in.

Get em next time

E30M3- it makes perfect sense to only count the last 10 to make the point RT is the right
guy. Gase himself said (and most agreed here) that it would take some time for everyone to learn the new system. He never panicked or wavered in that 1-4 beginning.

Look, if youre implementing anything, it's correct to look hiw things WERE vs how they are now after things changed.

1-4 to 9-1 is an obvious difference and far exceeds a normal statistical margin of error. I think all mathematicians and most 2nd graders could draw a line on where things changed.

oh, and to be clear, this isnt just a THill stat- it shows the Gase system working when all
essential parts are there. I think most THill supporters believ this reflects more of a chamge in the system/personnel/culture than it does a change in THill.

So true.

And since 2016 RT17's deep ball has been top ten -- even higher, usually.

LD

This, exactly.

And this is why I don't get the "why are we called haters when we're realists?" crowd.

Tannehill isn't perfect; far from it. He made some mistakes, and frustrated the hell out of me on a couple plays. He did that Week 1, too. MOST Quarterbacks did. But there are people on this board just waiting to pounce on anything he does that ISN'T perfect. And then they say stuff like "It doesn't take a genius to see that the team won in spite of Tannehill today."

THAT is what makes a hater. Continually pointing out the negatives, minimizing the positives, framing it as a logical argument, then implying that anyone who disagrees with them lacks intelligence.

And regarding that previous comment? No. No they didn't. They won because of a team effort, and because Tannehill made plays when it counted the most. People have been clamoring for that, and now that it's been happening in his last handful of starts, all of a sudden that's not what's important to some.

Conversely, there are those here (labeled "Tannelovers" , etc.) who are too quick to credit him with doing well or only being positive about him and won't admit, disregard or even unable to see some of the bad things he does. The majority of this group also implies that anyone who disagrees with them lacks intelligence.....you're throwing stones while living in a glass house.

I've been victim to it.....I've criticized Tannehill but while also mentioning that he was tough as nails, a fighter, a good person and a good athlete......what does the "pros only" Tannehill respond with...exactly - focusing only the negatives I posted.

He is mediocre at best. We can win with him, but he isn’t winning us games.

His biggest issue yesterday was pocket presence. He will take a million sacks and fumble a ton because he doesn’t feel pressure around him and doesn’t know when he needs to get the ball out. And this is something he has been bad at since day 1. It isn’t changing. He is what he is.

Back
Top Bottom