Tannehill Traded To Titans | Page 14 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tannehill Traded To Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
“As it turns out, it’s the Brock Osweiler Trade Light.

The curious ability of the Dolphins to unload quarterback Ryan Tannehill and a 2019 sixth-round pick onto the Titans for a 2020 fourth-round pick and a 2019 seventh-round pick was fueled by Miami’s decision to give Tannehill a $5 million parting gift.The Dolphins will pay that much of Tannehill’s guaranteed $7 million salary for 2019, according to Adam Schefter of ESPN.

So, basically, the Dolphins have purchased for $5 million and a sixth-round pick this year a fourth-round pick next year and a seventh-round pick this year. That’s the only reason to trade Tannehill instead of cutting him, given that Tannehill’s contract had no guaranteed money due in 2019.

Indeed, the Dolphins simply could have cut Tannehill, owing him nothing and accepting nothing in exchange for him. Instead, they get value in the form of net draft-pick gain — but they’re paying $5 million for it.

From Tannehill’s perspective, there was no reason to accept the trade, given that the Dolphins eventually would have released him. With no trigger in his contract forcing Miami to either make a lump-sum payment or guarantee a chunk of his base salary, however, the Dolphins could have squatted on Tannehill, waiting for perhaps an injury or the inability of a team to get a quarterback they may be targeting in the draft. His base salary would have remained not guaranteed until Week One of the regular season.

Of course, the Dolphins would have had to allow Tannehill to participate in the offseason program opening next month, assuming the risk of a fluke season-ending injury that would have put the team on the hook for the full $18.75 million he was previously due to earn.

So it was a win-win-win for a team that needed a backup quarterback, a team that wanted to shed its starting quarterback, and a quarterback whose options likely would have dried up if he’d refused to go along with the trade and the reduced salary.”

We bought the fourth rounder.

That's an awful lot of typing for would have been simpler as stating we got a 4th 6th and 7th and shed the 2020 cap hit on $$$

Ryan's gone and we have 3 draft picks......

I'm living in the future, most of us knew he was gone.

I pretty much knew it after the game 15 post game press conference in 2018. And it was official when Gase was fired.

The winner of the trade is Ryan Tannehill for getting a huge salary (gtd) for a backup, with incentives if (when) he steps in for Mariotta.

We get a 4th round pick next year while giving up a 6th this year. There really isn't any juice there.

The money implications are negligible....Tannehill's agent did well by him.

giphy.gif

Finally

OK we had to pay the Titans to take him off our hand but still.......time to break out the grey goose.

Damn skippy it is. I'll take a shot with you.

We made something out of nothing. Be happy.

These guys went into the war room and finagled a seemingly untradeable contract for compensation. That doesn't get you excited?

So far the FO is chewing gum and kicking arse and they're all out of gum.

I'm excited.

Quit on him? What evidence do you have of that?

42-17 Buffalo vs Miami

Tannehill was outplayed by rookie Josh Allen, who accounted for four touchdowns. It was a sour end to the season for Tannehill, who failed to hit the 150-yard threshold in four of his final five games.

We bought the fourth rounder.

Fourth rounders make 2.5 mil over the four year contract. We bought that for 5 mil additional! A high second round contract, like pick #33 overall for a fourth rounder!

And we had to move out of sixth round to seventh round this year.

And we are taking a much larger cap hit this year.

It's unbelievable this guy has job. I keep telling you. Aint gonna change until we get someone who gets it and gets things done.
Biggest problem having idiots running the team.

Fourth rounders make 2.5 mil over the four year contract. We bought that for 5 mil additional! A high second round contract, like pick #33 overall for a fourth rounder!

And we had to move out of sixth round to seventh round this year.

And we are taking a much larger cap hit this year.

It's unbelievable this guy has job. I keep telling you. Aint gonna change until we get someone who gets it and gets things done.
Biggest problem having idiots running the team.

tenor.gif

42-17 Buffalo vs Miami

Tannehill was outplayed by rookie Josh Allen, who accounted for four touchdowns. It was a sour end to the season for Tannehill, who failed to hit the 150-yard threshold in four of his final five games.

If anything, that's evidence RT quit on the team, not vice versa.

Also, it's a shame we played him on defense and he allowed the bills to score so many points.

That's an awful lot of typing for would have been simpler as stating we got a 4th 6th and 7th and shed the 2020 cap hit on $$$

Ryan's gone and we have 3 draft picks......

I'm living in the future, most of us knew he was gone.

I pretty much knew it after the game 15 post game press conference in 2018. And it was official when Gase was fired.

Except we did not get 3 draft picks. Or did you mistype?

Miami paid 5 mill for the 4th, sent a 6th and Tannehill, received a value sweetener in a 7th.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom