Tannehill's play in 7 on 7's helps pave way to the NFL | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tannehill's play in 7 on 7's helps pave way to the NFL

Daytona Fin

Queeks Draw
Club Member
Reaction score
After starting high school football as a defensive back, Ryan Tannehill finally made the switch to quarterback as a junior.

But he didn’t get to pass very much at Big Spring High, which used a run-heavy Wing-T offense. So he turned to 7-on-7 football in the spring and summer to fine-tune his throwing mechanics.

“It was big for me,” said Tannehill, who went on to Texas A&M and was drafted eighth overall by the Dolphins in 2012. “That’s where I got a lot of my throws in. It played a big part in the development of my play and the guys around me, too.”

Tannehill is one of many quarterbacks who benefited from the 7-on-7 craze in Texas and elsewhere. Four of last season’s 12 NFL playoff teams were led by quarterbacks who played high school football in Texas — New Orleans’ Drew Brees, Indianapolis’ Andrew Luck, Cincinnati’s Andy Dalton and Philadelphia’s Nick Foles.

“It has to play a part in the success of Texas quarterbacks,” Tannehill said of 7-on-7. “There’s a state tournament and you all compete against each other. The competition, the repetition, it all goes into becoming a better player.”

“I played with the guys that I was going to be playing with on Friday nights,” Tannehill said. “Before 7-on-7, you went from spring ball to two-a-days in the fall. You’re not going against a real defense in that period in between. 7-on-7 helps keep things sharp.”

The Dolphins want to help grow the sport in Florida. Two weeks ago, the team hosted its seventh annual 7-on-7 High School Football Tournament.
“It’s growing the game of football,” said Twan Russell, the Dolphins’ senior director of community affairs. “It’s competing with AAU basketball and lacrosse. It’s making it a year-round sport.”

But 7-on-7 isn’t limited to the high school level. On the first day of the Dolphins’ recent mini-camp, Tannehill pointed out that he had just completed two periods of 7-on-7.

“We do it every day in practice,” he said. “It’s a huge thing for us.”

- See more at: http://www.pbgametime.com/news/spor...l_twitter_pbgametime_sfp#sthash.B7skTN6b.dpuf

I didn't know that Ryan was a Defensive Back in High School. That's amazing. He must have been a late grower. I assumed that he was a QB or WR.
I am increasingly convinced that his time spent as a WR at Texas A & M has made him a much better QB. His understanding of the nuances of the receiver role is significant. Maybe having played as a DB at school helped him to understand the psyche of a defensive player. At any rate, it's a very unusual combination and he is probably a lot mentally tougher for having had the experience.

He can definitely take a hit better than most QB's, it's been very helpful so far in his career...

He can definitely take a hit better than most QB's, it's been very helpful so far in his career...

It would be more helpful if he avoided hits as a QB.

7 on 7 is part of what is killing the game. This is why fewer and fewer good OL players exist IMHO. If you look around the league, OL play is worse overall than 10 years ago. The Dolphins arent the only team with inept OL play and the idea floating around here that the phins had the worst OL in the league is just not true. Just off the top of my head, the Giants and Falcons OL play last year was even worse. As bad as the Phins OL was, I know its hard to imagine that teams could field an even worse unit, but they did.

Part of the reasoning behind the idea that the Phins OL was so terrible is the number 58. The fact is, thanks to his overall inexperience playing QB and his time spent in 7 on 7, Ryan Tannehill has almost no clue how to utilize an OL and avoid rushers. While other QBs have played 7 on 7 and still had a feel for the pocket, most of those other QBs spent a lot of time playing behind an OL whereas Tannehill had only 2 seasons playing QB coming into the NFL.

7 on 7 is part of what is killing the game. This is why fewer and fewer good OL players exist IMHO. If you look around the league, OL play is worse overall than 10 years ago. The Dolphins arent the only team with inept OL play and the idea floating around here that the phins had the worst OL in the league is just not true. Just off the top of my head, the Giants and Falcons OL play last year was even worse. As bad as the Phins OL was, I know its hard to imagine that teams could field an even worse unit, but they did.

Part of the reasoning behind the idea that the Phins OL was so terrible is the number 58. The fact is, thanks to his overall inexperience playing QB and his time spent in 7 on 7, Ryan Tannehill has almost no clue how to utilize an OL and avoid rushers. While other QBs have played 7 on 7 and still had a feel for the pocket, most of those other QBs spent a lot of time playing behind an OL whereas Tannehill had only 2 seasons playing QB coming into the NFL.

According to football outsiders the Falcons were 7th in pass protection and the Giants were 18th. The Dolphins were 30th with only Philly and Seattle below us but we were also ranked 28th at rushing so according to them our line was indeed the worst overall. Wilson obviously had very good pocket awareness and escaped a lot of sacks with his legs and both the Eagles and the Seahawks had very good run blocking o-lines so sack rate must be much more complicated than just the skill level of the protectors and the pocket awareness of the QB.

Coaching plays a huge role and its no surprise the Broncos were number one in pass pro. Peyton Manning is probably a better o-line coach than a lot of the actual o-line coaches in the NFL. Manning is also most likely one of the best play callers in the NFL. And Manning is one of the best at setting protections and understanding exactly how much time he has to get rid of it.

I'll say the same thing I said even before last season; three parts go into good pass protection and they are all about equally important:

1. the skill level of the protectors
2. coaching/playcalling
3. QB ability

Shouright was right all along though, sack rate doesn't have as much impact on winning as most believe, and if you need proof the SB champs had the worst adjusted sack rate in the league....

Actually, the biggest reason OL has changed so significantly is the huge influx of the west coast offenses. It requires different techniques and skill set that prioritizes elite mobility like never before. There are simply less athletes to play the position that way so the overall talent level has dropped.

In the past, slower footed guys could always compete at OL because the league was heavily power blocking schemes. Guys as small as 6'2 with less lateral mobility had a shot along the interior line as they bulked up and concentrated on power to blow away the guy in front of them.

Nowadays they need to be quicker laterally and have longer arms to run ZBS schemes to support WCO offenses. Because of hat heavy NFL move to WCO, many more DT's are quick gap penetrators. This leads to even more emphasis on quick footed long armed pass blocker's along even the interior line positions.

That is exactly why a power running team like San Francisco can have such success today ... because most defenses lack the stout PoA guys to stop their running for 4 quarters.

According to football outsiders the Falcons were 7th in pass protection and the Giants were 18th. The Dolphins were 30th with only Philly and Seattle below us but we were also ranked 28th at rushing so according to them our line was indeed the worst overall. Wilson obviously had very good pocket awareness and escaped a lot of sacks with his legs and both the Eagles and the Seahawks had very good run blocking o-lines so sack rate must be much more complicated than just the skill level of the protectors and the pocket awareness of the QB.

Coaching plays a huge role and its no surprise the Broncos were number one in pass pro. Peyton Manning is probably a better o-line coach than a lot of the actual o-line coaches in the NFL. Manning is also most likely one of the best play callers in the NFL. And Manning is one of the best at setting protections and understanding exactly how much time he has to get rid of it.

I'll say the same thing I said even before last season; three parts go into good pass protection and they are all about equally important:

1. the skill level of the protectors
2. coaching/playcalling
3. QB ability

Shouright was right all along though, sack rate doesn't have as much impact on winning as most believe, and if you need proof the SB champs had the worst adjusted sack rate in the league....
I'm not inclined to dig it back up, but there was one site that said a sack equaled -2 points per. so if you were going to score 30 points, if you got sacked you lost 2 points and thus your scoring potential was 28. or if we only scored 17 points, but we got sacked 7 times, then we lost 14 points.

Anyway, I agree sacks aren't the end of a drive, but you put yourself in 3rd and long and generally you've screwed up a promising drive.

It was wrong then, and it is still wrong now.

WV like a boss...not!! When Tanny rips it up this year your post are going to be a failure again. Like a boss. Never gets old.

it would even more helpful if his "decent cornfed" could block for more than 2 seconds

Sorry it was a thing someone tried to start.

[video=youtube;He7TnoCM7fo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=He7TnoCM7fo[/video]

Corned has legs. Chainwax no legs, lol.

LD

Back
Top Bottom