Tannehill's play in 7 on 7's helps pave way to the NFL | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tannehill's play in 7 on 7's helps pave way to the NFL

I think this WV poster is pretty ignorant about 7 on 7. Let a Texan help you out here.

1. It is played at times when otherwise there would be NO football team activity taking place.... It takes absolutely NO time away from OL development or OL play.

The problem is that 7 on 7 has become so popular that its leagues are now hyper competitive to the point that as much emphasis is placed on it as regular team football. It has become a way to get noticed by scouts. As a result fewer players want to play OL.

2. The purpose is to develop and keep good mechanics and timing for receivers and quarterbacks. Not sure what else you think QBs and WRs should be doing in offseason that will develop OL- your premise is ridiculous- at least as far as I can make it out.

I understand the practice element. Even MLB players take batting practice vs 65 mph pitches. Just as this is different from hitting 95mph pitches with some bite, playing 7 on 7 with no rushers coming at you is different than when 300lb DTs and 275lb DEs are coming at you from different angles. The practice is fine. But, you have to be able to sense and avoid rushers in real football and the only way to develop that skill is playing 11 on 11.

3. OL are not lacking in numbers or skills in an way because of 7 on 7. OL don't and can't play 7 on 7- it is a game for WRs and QBs (and DBs and RBs)

Its basically flag football with tackling. It does hurt OL skill and numbers when it becomes popular to the point that scouts put emphasis on it and people who play OL know they are missing chances to get noticed by not playing it. When more kids want to be involved in these leagues more than they do regular football leagues, it creates an evolutionary effect.

4. There is a time element which forces QBs to make quick reads and get rid of the ball- again, playing it is NOT going to make a QB WORSE at avoiding sacks- anything that develops timing and reads between QB and WR is going to help.

You mean like Tony Sparano and his air horn or whatever it was he had to help Henne get the ball out quicker? There is no substitute for real situations of large people chasing you and trying to hit you. Sensing pressure is not just about time. You have to be able to sense where the rush is coming from and adjust by moving to the correct spot. The time in which a rusher may or may not arrive at your location varies from play to play. There is no set amount of time for a QB in the pocket. You dont want to take the check down if you have another second available and that is the time needed to hit a homerun play.

5. There is no other alternative currently unless you think that somehow there is going to be year round tackle football. that doesn't exist at any level, and for good reason. Do you really think they should be playing 11 on 11 with rushing DL and blocking OL? I'm just not sure what you are talking about- tying together 7 on 7 and a perceived lack of OL development.

Of course there shouldnt be year round 11 on 11. I understand you arent sure what Im talking about. Its obvious you didnt understand that there is an evolutionary effect going on that is devaluing OL play and therefore decreasing the overall ability at the position. It isnt just 7 on 7, but its emergence is playing a huge role. Its also these terrible college offenses as well as the rule changes in the NFL that are geared towards passing, scoring, offense, and concern over certain types of injuries. A lot of the NFL rules are of course due to lawsuits and media pressure.

If you want to criticize lack of OL development at some level- h.s. college or pro, fine- but don't blame it on 7 on 7. that's like blaming the lack of good pitching on baseball players practicing their fielding.

Actually its nothing like that. I think this LoneStar poster is pretty ignorant about fielding. Let a baseball purist help you out here.

Improved fielding leads to much better pitching numbers for several reasons.

When you speak matter of fact like and include a bunch of opinions, with NO supporting evidence, it damages credibility. Unfortunately ive been assigned to West Virginia for the last two years, I learned quickly not to bother engaging the locals with intelligent football conversation. No offense buddy, but you may want to stick to Baseball on this topic. Most, if not all will disagree with every straw you reached for while making those "points".

I think this WV poster is pretty ignorant about 7 on 7. Let a Texan help you out here.

1. It is played at times when otherwise there would be NO football team activity taking place.... It takes absolutely NO time away from OL development or OL play.
The problem is that 7 on 7 has become so popular that its leagues are now hyper competitive to the point that as much emphasis is placed on it as regular team football. It has become a way to get noticed by scouts. As a result fewer players want to play OL.

LONESTAR: Seriously, so the problem is that those big 250lb linemen are all becoming QBs and WRs and DBs.

2. The purpose is to develop and keep good mechanics and timing for receivers and quarterbacks. Not sure what else you think QBs and WRs should be doing in offseason that will develop OL- your premise is ridiculous- at least as far as I can make it out.

I understand the practice element. Even MLB players take batting practice vs 65 mph pitches. Just as this is different from hitting 95mph pitches with some bite, playing 7 on 7 with no rushers coming at you is different than when 300lb DTs and 275lb DEs are coming at you from different angles. The practice is fine. But, you have to be able to sense and avoid rushers in real football and the only way to develop that skill is playing 11 on 11.

LONESTAR: so you're saying they should be playing 11 on 11 year 'round. So THAT'S how 7 on 7 is hurting OL, because it is keeping teams from practicing 11 on 11 year round?

3. OL are not lacking in numbers or skills in an way because of 7 on 7. OL don't and can't play 7 on 7- it is a game for WRs and QBs (and DBs and RBs)

Its basically flag football with tackling. It does hurt OL skill and numbers when it becomes popular to the point that scouts put emphasis on it and people who play OL know they are missing chances to get noticed by not playing it. When more kids want to be involved in these leagues more than they do regular football leagues, it creates an evolutionary effect.

LONESTAR: quite simply, no it doesn't. It might take away from kids playing other sports like baseball, or swimming, or basketball, but it in NO way keeps an OL from doingwhatever an OL would be doing (or not doing) in the offseason. by the way, 7 on 7 doesn't involve tackling... I question whether you fully understand what 7 on 7 is.

4. There is a time element which forces QBs to make quick reads and get rid of the ball- again, playing it is NOT going to make a QB WORSE at avoiding sacks- anything that develops timing and reads between QB and WR is going to help.

You mean like Tony Sparano and his air horn or whatever it was he had to help Henne get the ball out quicker? There is no substitute for real situations of large people chasing you and trying to hit you. Sensing pressure is not just about time. You have to be able to sense where the rush is coming from and adjust by moving to the correct spot. The time in which a rusher may or may not arrive at your location varies from play to play. There is no set amount of time for a QB in the pocket. You dont want to take the check down if you have another second available and that is the time needed to hit a homerun play.

LONESTAR: So you are saying that these players should either be a) playing 11 on 11 year round or b) QBs and WR and DBs should avoid this practice because it is not just like a game. By your standards, 95% of what a team does throughout the year would be detrimental to their football development.

5. There is no other alternative currently unless you think that somehow there is going to be year round tackle football. that doesn't exist at any level, and for good reason. Do you really think they should be playing 11 on 11 with rushing DL and blocking OL? I'm just not sure what you are talking about- tying together 7 on 7 and a perceived lack of OL development.

Of course there shouldnt be year round 11 on 11. I understand you arent sure what Im talking about. Its obvious you didnt understand that there is an evolutionary effect going on that is devaluing OL play and therefore decreasing the overall ability at the position. It isnt just 7 on 7, but its emergence is playing a huge role. Its also these terrible college offenses as well as the rule changes in the NFL that are geared towards passing, scoring, offense, and concern over certain types of injuries. A lot of the NFL rules are of course due to lawsuits and media pressure.

LONESTAR: Finally, you completely moved away from your 7 on 7 argument; you should have just done that in the beginning above and saved everyone time. 7 on 7 is an outgrowth of the spread offense, run and shoot, air raid,west coast.... it is not a CAUSE of anything (except sharpening skills of the skill players- which it does). Your "evolutionary" arguments are a whole nother topic which I'm not going to address here. Bottom line, I just don't see any way for anyone to logically connect the growth of 7 on 7 with any supposed decline in offensive line skills or numbers.

If you want to criticize lack of OL development at some level- h.s. college or pro, fine- but don't blame it on 7 on 7. that's like blaming the lack of good pitching on baseball players practicing their fielding.

Actually its nothing like that. I think this LoneStar poster is pretty ignorant about fielding. Let a baseball purist help you out here. Improved fielding leads to much better pitching numbers for several reasons.

LONESTAR: yes, and likewise improved timing and technique between QB and WR improve the OL numbers too. Oh, and you DO realize your statement above SUPPORTS my position, right?
After you bone up on sports, a logic class would also be helpful for you. :)

But seriously, thanks for responding and sharing your thoughts

p.s. I edited my bolded replies to remove some of the harshness. We should all be more civil and I went a little too far in demeaning WV's points.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom