Tannehill's play in 7 on 7's helps pave way to the NFL | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tannehill's play in 7 on 7's helps pave way to the NFL

According to football outsiders the Falcons were 7th in pass protection and the Giants were 18th. The Dolphins were 30th with only Philly and Seattle below us but we were also ranked 28th at rushing so according to them our line was indeed the worst overall. Wilson obviously had very good pocket awareness and escaped a lot of sacks with his legs and both the Eagles and the Seahawks had very good run blocking o-lines so sack rate must be much more complicated than just the skill level of the protectors and the pocket awareness of the QB.

Coaching plays a huge role and its no surprise the Broncos were number one in pass pro. Peyton Manning is probably a better o-line coach than a lot of the actual o-line coaches in the NFL. Manning is also most likely one of the best play callers in the NFL. And Manning is one of the best at setting protections and understanding exactly how much time he has to get rid of it.

I'll say the same thing I said even before last season; three parts go into good pass protection and they are all about equally important:

1. the skill level of the protectors
2. coaching/playcalling
3. QB ability

Shouright was right all along though, sack rate doesn't have as much impact on winning as most believe, and if you need proof the SB champs had the worst adjusted sack rate in the league....

Anyone that doesn't see our oline was horrid last year was wearing blinders. When a qb constantly has less than 4 seconds of protection that's on the damn oline.

by almost every methodolgy the OL sucked last season (but it's interesting to see that the great (postseason) Melty more time to throw nevertheless won half the games Tannehill did) And as far as Seattle, if Wilson wasn't so incredibly and elusively mobile, he'd have been in the same boat, so more power to him.

2q86lfq-1.jpg

This thread has been hijcacked by the Tannehill haters.

The subject of last years sacks, including a thread where every sack was analyzed,and the suggestion and theory that it was mostly Tannehill's fault, has been weighed...measured...and been found lacking.

It would be more helpful if he avoided hits as a QB.

7 on 7 is part of what is killing the game. This is why fewer and fewer good OL players exist IMHO. If you look around the league, OL play is worse overall than 10 years ago. The Dolphins arent the only team with inept OL play and the idea floating around here that the phins had the worst OL in the league is just not true. Just off the top of my head, the Giants and Falcons OL play last year was even worse. As bad as the Phins OL was, I know its hard to imagine that teams could field an even worse unit, but they did.

Part of the reasoning behind the idea that the Phins OL was so terrible is the number 58. The fact is, thanks to his overall inexperience playing QB and his time spent in 7 on 7, Ryan Tannehill has almost no clue how to utilize an OL and avoid rushers. While other QBs have played 7 on 7 and still had a feel for the pocket, most of those other QBs spent a lot of time playing behind an OL whereas Tannehill had only 2 seasons playing QB coming into the NFL.

I'll bet if Matt Ryan said he played 7-on-7 you'd be praising it.

I'll bet if Matt Ryan said he played 7-on-7 you'd be praising it.

WVDOLPHIN cant make up his mind on Tannehill now he is a bust. You know Im a big fan of Matt Ryan the player who even last year was not a bad qb in any way esp with the injuries they had, He still made Douglas have a pretty damn good year.
People praise and blame the qb too damn much, Football is never won by one player. I think Tannehill is on a good path but we definitely need better line play.

---------- Post added at 07:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:32 AM ----------

This thread has been hijcacked by the Tannehill haters.

The subject of last years sacks, including a thread where every sack was analyzed,and the suggestion and theory that it was mostly Tannehill's fault, has been weighed...measured...and been found lacking.

people seem to see things however they want their opinion to be. If they don't like Tannehill then the sacks are the majority his fault. Kind of like how some see Belichek as only winning because he has Brady or that because a qb has a good receiver its really not him

7 on 7 is part of what is killing the game. This is why fewer and fewer good OL players exist IMHO. If you look around the league, OL play is worse overall than 10 years ago. The Dolphins arent the only team with inept OL play and the idea floating around here that the phins had the worst OL in the league is just not true. Just off the top of my head, the Giants and Falcons OL play last year was even worse. As bad as the Phins OL was, I know its hard to imagine that teams could field an even worse unit, but they did.

Part of the reasoning behind the idea that the Phins OL was so terrible is the number 58. The fact is, thanks to his overall inexperience playing QB and his time spent in 7 on 7, Ryan Tannehill has almost no clue how to utilize an OL and avoid rushers. While other QBs have played 7 on 7 and still had a feel for the pocket, most of those other QBs spent a lot of time playing behind an OL whereas Tannehill had only 2 seasons playing QB coming into the NFL.

Sorry but I live in nj and watched many giants games, their o line was bad but not worse....

7 on 7 is part of what is killing the game. This is why fewer and fewer good OL players exist IMHO....
thanks to his overall inexperience playing QB and his time spent in 7 on 7, Ryan Tannehill has almost no clue how to utilize an OL and avoid rushers

I think this WV poster is pretty ignorant about 7 on 7. Let a Texan help you out here.

1. It is played at times when otherwise there would be NO football team activity taking place.... It takes absolutely NO time away from OL development or OL play.
2. The purpose is to develop and keep good mechanics and timing for receivers and quarterbacks. Not sure what else you think QBs and WRs should be doing in offseason that will develop OL- your premise is ridiculous- at least as far as I can make it out.
3. OL are not lacking in numbers or skills in an way because of 7 on 7. OL don't and can't play 7 on 7- it is a game for WRs and QBs (and DBs and RBs)
4. There is a time element which forces QBs to make quick reads and get rid of the ball- again, playing it is NOT going to make a QB WORSE at avoiding sacks- anything that develops timing and reads between QB and WR is going to help.
5. There is no other alternative currently unless you think that somehow there is going to be year round tackle football. that doesn't exist at any level, and for good reason. Do you really think they should be playing 11 on 11 with rushing DL and blocking OL? I'm just not sure what you are talking about- tying together 7 on 7 and a perceived lack of OL development.

If you want to criticize lack of OL development at some level- h.s. college or pro, fine- but don't blame it on 7 on 7. that's like blaming the lack of good pitching on baseball players practicing their fielding.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think this WV poster is pretty ignorant about 7 on 7. Let a Texan help you out here.

1. It is played at times when otherwise there would be NO football team activity taking place.... It takes absolutely NO time away from OL development or OL play.
2. The purpose is to develop and keep good mechanics and timing for receivers and quarterbacks. Not sure what else you think QBs and WRs should be doing in offseason that will develop OL- your premise is ridiculous- at least as far as I can make it out.
3. OL are not lacking in numbers or skills in an way because of 7 on 7. OL don't and can't play 7 on 7- it is a game for WRs and QBs (and DBs and RBs)
4. There is a time element which forces QBs to make quick reads and get rid of the ball- again, playing it is NOT going to make a QB WORSE at avoiding sacks- anything that develops timing and reads between QB and WR is going to help.
5. There is no other alternative currently unless you think that somehow there is going to be year round tackle football. that doesn't exist at any level, and for good reason. Do you really think they should be playing 11 on 11 with rushing DL and blocking OL? I'm just not sure what you are talking about- tying together 7 on 7 and a perceived lack of OL development.

If you want to criticize lack of OL development at some level- h.s. college or pro, fine- but don't blame it on 7 on 7. that's like blaming the lack of good pitching on baseball players practicing their fielding.
Great post!

Tannehill displayed some natural pocket awareness as a rookie but he regressed in this department last season for whatever reason, probably because of information overload. I'm pretty sure it'll come back when the game slows down for him but that may not happen this season with the new offensive coordinator.

Tannehill displayed some natural pocket awareness as a rookie but he regressed in this department last season for whatever reason, probably because of information overload. I'm pretty sure it'll come back when the game slows down for him but that may not happen this season with the new offensive coordinator.
He got rattled I think. It may have been the first Bills game, when Super Mario ran right by Clabo and went helmet to helmet and didn't get called for it. I think after that Tannehill became hyperaware of the collapsing pocket very often. I just hope he can get over it.

That right there is the type of post one conveniently never sees or responds too. Well said.

Thanks- im still honestly confused by WV's post, and wish he would respond to how 7 on 7 affects OL. If he was ignorant about 7 on 7, no shame in that. It is just starting to get more popular in other parts of country. Maybe someone can start a 5 v 5 played by dl and ol that focuses on footwork and other technique!

I disagree with this. As a former player in college and semi-pro and a coach on multiple levels, this is advantageous to QBs. In the meantime, offensive linemen are able to work on strengthening and technique. They are not lacking practice time. They still work against defensive linemen and such. They work on their art while the 7 on 7s work on theirs. The separate practices should be ran in such a way that they meld together when TC starts. The bottom line is: every team does the same things. It boils down to talent, system and execution. Lately we seem to be lacking in system and execution. Talent ihas been questionable in multiple areas. Can't be great in every aspect. But you have to good enough to disguise and overcome those weaknesses.

Back
Top Bottom