Tavon Austin = Ted Ginn | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tavon Austin = Ted Ginn

If you check out Miamiron's new Wonderlic thread, this discussion is probably moot as it's hard to see Austin's score of 7 (one pt higher than Vince Young) resonating positively with Coach Joe :idk:

Percy Harvin is 5 foot 11. Not 5 foot 8. I am not saying he will be a draft bust, just saying that it is too high to take him at 12. Just my 2 cents.

Why does height equal redzone threat to some of you people.

Was Jerry Rice tall? Marvin Harrison? Is Reggie Wayne tall? Greg Jennings? Mike Wallace? Answer is no. Height isn't the most important trait a player needs to have to be a "redzone" threat. If dude can get open then he's a threat. Austin WILL be able to get open on NFL CBs in the redzone.

Lets compare what Austin and Eifert can do for the Dolphins.

Austin: can return 8-10 punt and kickoff returns each game. Eifert: zero.

Austin: can run the ball 5-8 times a game on reverses , sweeps, etc. Eifert: zero runs.

Austin: likely to catch 5-8 passes per game underneath with Wallace stretching the field. Eifert: might catch 3-4 balls, sharing looks with Keller.

Austin: every time he touches the ball he can go 40-50 yards.

This team has been the worst at big plays the last 5 years.
Its time to get some speed.

You're asking a bit much don't you think? You're assuming that Austin will be able to learn the NFL playbook AND out perform D. Bess. It's very well possible that Austin could not see the field as a WR next year. And we have a pretty good Kick Off returner in Thigpin

Lets compare what Austin and Eifert can do for the Dolphins.

Austin: can return 8-10 punt and kickoff returns each game. Eifert: zero.

Austin: can run the ball 5-8 times a game on reverses , sweeps, etc. Eifert: zero runs.

Austin: likely to catch 5-8 passes per game underneath with Wallace stretching the field. Eifert: might catch 3-4 balls, sharing looks with Keller.

Austin: every time he touches the ball he can go 40-50 yards.

This team has been the worst at big plays the last 5 years.
Its time to get some speed.

Eifert can help block for our QB.

What TE do we have besides Keller? Clay? Yea that'll work great. We just signed the top receiver in FA along with Gibson for "immediate impact." 5-8 runs/sweeps a game? I think Wallace is more tune for that as well, quite an over-use of that play IMO. Austin is very small, and probably would not be this effective at 175 lbs in the NFL.

I'm sorry but getting sick of all this "we need speed" talk. We also need a TE who can block.

I've watched every single one of Tavon Austin's games for the past 3 years. And he's definitely a play maker. We won't know how good he is in the NFL until we get to watch him though.

And it's "AUSTIN", not "AUSTON".

Ted Ginn was a playmaker in college then he got to the NFL and got jammed at the line 500 times in a row and couldn't run a route.

Also, whoever said that we would get him the ball up to 8 times per game via "sweeps and reverses" is straight up delusional.

Anyone who looks at Austin and sees Ginn is probably using the new HD to Braille option that some high-end TVs come with.

LD

#12 is too high for a slot receiver IMO. I like the playmaking potential but that's a reach.

To say that Austin is equal to Ted Ginn is just unfair. Yes, they're similar in size, speed, and ability to create on special teams. But Tavon is very different from Ginn. Ginn has much MUCH better hands, route running, field awareness, and explosiveness. If Tavon had another 3 inches and 20-30 pounds on him, He would undoubtedly be a top 5 pick. He has literally everything you could want from a slot receiver, or a receiver in general. The only thing he is lacking is the ability to be a threat in the red zone.

I personally would rather not Tavon, I would rather like us to end up with Eifert & Swope or Patterson. I'm not saying I don't want him, and if we got him I would be happy. I just think that there are smarter ways to spend our picks than to get yet another receiver with our first pick.

I disagree with the Ted Ginn comparison. While both have elite speed, Ted has a freaky long stride. He takes a little time to get into stride and then he flies. He is designed to be an elite runner. While he's only 5'11", his stride is incredibly long. Ted was basically an olympic class straight-line sprinter who learned how to catch, but he didn't have great hands. He is/was always very light and invariably avoided anything physical.
In contrast, while Tayvon Austin has comparable speed, he appears to have significantly superior initial acceleration. He can also change direction in a nanosecond. His footwork in evading tackles is instinctive and comparable to elite rugby players ability to sidestep. Austin's other significant superiority is his ability to catch the ball. He has natural good hands and appears a lot more confident than Ted at catching the ball.
I enjoyed watching both of their highlights, but the other huge difference is that Teddy seemed an introvert who was naturally fast and uncomfortable in the spotlight, while Tayvon has natural swagger. For someone only 5'8" tall, he struts around like a fiery little rooster. He appears to thrive in the spotlight, he loves the attention, he craves it.

I think Tavon will be better, but the situations do seem to be disturbingly similar.

Back
Top Bottom