Tavon Austin = Ted Ginn | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tavon Austin = Ted Ginn

I've said it before, his size worries me because I'm not sure if it will effect his durability in a positive light. That being said, I don't think it's fair to compare him to Ginn. We knew when they picked Ginn, it was the wrong choice. Given, Quinn ended being a bust as well, but that would have been the right pick at the right time, and Ginn wasn't. We need another WR, and if they think he is the guy, then it's the right pick. He's not the guy I would go with per say, but you would be addressing a need with who you believe is the best option out there.

Ginn was a joke from go, Austin isn't.

If you check out Miamiron's new Wonderlic thread, this discussion is probably moot as it's hard to see Austin's score of 7 (one pt higher than Vince Young) resonating positively with Coach Joe :idk:

Huh. I hadn't heard about that. No way to spin it as a positive.

Austin doesn't sound dumb. I've seen a few interviews. He's hardly a polished speaker, in fact below average, but nothing cringe worthy. Often we draft guys who I want to throw off the cliff as soon as they open their mouth.

Austin has remarkable field smarts. Better than anyone in this draft. From cleverly altering speed, to setting up moves, to dragging his feet, it's textbook and beyond. Scary talent.

Granted, lots of it has been within a college type framework. Catches at or near the line of scrimmage. He would thrive in a Redskins or Seahawks type offense. We'd have to adjust, and that wasn't exactly a strength last season, regarding the way we used Reggie Bush.

The only other top rated receiver is markedly different. Patterson can run reverses but he's more a speedy downfield seam threat, along the lines of Tennessee receivers dating to Stanley Morgan and earlier. Most of the time they connect. This league is designed for them, with safeties more careful. That's why I'm hesitant to knock Patterson, even though there's plenty in his game I don't like. His field smarts are subpar, not even close to Austin's. Poor hand positioning and often clueless toward traffic or the sideline. Looks back too early on occasion. He sounds dumber than Austin, and ****ier. My sense is he's less team oriented. Of course, I typically assign that to guys who bounce around in college. It fits. I'm not sure what he scored on Wonderlic but I'd doubt it could be too high.

---------- Post added at 03:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:09 PM ----------

I forgot to mention that comparing Austin to Ginn is like comparing a jackrabbit to a greyhound.

Ted Ginn was a playmaker in college then he got to the NFL and got jammed at the line 500 times in a row and couldn't run a route.

Also, whoever said that we would get him the ball up to 8 times per game via "sweeps and reverses" is straight up delusional.

Ted Ginn made his living in special teams in college. He was an all American by virtue of his all purpose yardage, definitely not as a receiver, considering he never eclipsed 59 receptions and 800 yards. Just listen Damn Cameron's press conference when introducing Ginn to Dolphin Nation; kick returner was the highlight of his introduction. Tavon Austin averaged over 100 receptions, 1,200 yards and 8 TDs his junior and senior year; hell, his sophomore year was arguably better than anything Ginn did in college.

Again, I'm not for or against drafting Austin, just dispelling this ridiculous comparison.

To say that Austin is equal to Ted Ginn is just unfair. Yes, they're similar in size, speed, and ability to create on special teams. But Tavon is very different from Ginn. Tavon Austin has much MUCH better hands, route running, field awareness, and explosiveness. If Tavon had another 3 inches and 20-30 pounds on him, He would undoubtedly be a top 5 pick. He has literally everything you could want from a slot receiver, or a receiver in general. The only thing he is lacking is the ability to be a threat in the red zone.

I personally would rather not Tavon, I would rather like us to end up with Eifert & Swope or Patterson. I'm not saying I don't want him, and if we got him I would be happy. I just think that there are smarter ways to spend our picks than to get yet another receiver with our first pick.

fixed! i hope this is what you were trying to say and not say Austin and not ginn ;)

This is an opinion by the OP, one that I agree with. To take him at 12 is too high. I would rather have Eifert at 12. Austin, is 5 foot 8 and 174 pounds. This is the NFL not College ball. This would be a mistake, just like taking Ginn at 9 was a mistake. He is fast, so what? So was Ginn. I see you guys saying bad evaluation, or comparison. Prove that it is a bad evaluation or comparison. Has Austin played in the NFL? Nope, so this is all conjecture at this point. I don't like the pick at 12.

So it's a bad evaluation because you make it with no evidence. You said it yourself, he has never played in the nfl. The comparison is a bad one though. Ginn was an outside WR with nothing but, straight line speed. Ginn had none of the moves or escapabillity of Austin. I don't want Austin at #12 either though. He is a luxury. We need foundation.

Yeah I agree, this is soo far off of a comparison it's not even funny. Ginn was all straight line speed, Ginn has no hands, and Ginn lacks the passion. I'm not a big fan of taking Austin at 12... But if the board falls the why I think it will the 2 best players left may just be Austin or Eifert. Austin is just as quick as he is fast and Ireland and company have already stated that their goal this offseason was to give Tannehill weapons and add speed on this offense that we've lacked for soo long.

No way does Philbin take Austin or Patterson after their putrid Wonderlich scores (7/11).
Plus Patterson already turned off numerous GMs during his interviews at the combine.

No way does Philbin take Austin or Patterson after their putrid Wonderlich scores (7/11).
Plus Patterson already turned off numerous GMs during his interviews at the combine.

wonderlich scores mean nothing to coaches. If we dont draft either of these players, its NOT because of there low wonderlich scores

You may be right, but every time I watch the Tavon Austin highlight video, I shake my head in disbelief. He is a simply a freak with great hands and extremely fast legs. Dan Marino also got a bad Wonderlic score and he turned out OK. Next year, when Tavon Austin is outrunning everyone on the field, (for whatever team drafts him), please remind us of the importance of observing the zero tolerance for low Wonderlic scores. There is only one Tavon Austin and we may have the chance to draft him.

You may be right, but every time I watch the Tavon Austin highlight video, I shake my head in disbelief.

And every time some Dolphins fan watch Tedd Ginn they shake their heads in disbelief as well.
I'm a Tedd Ginn fan, but that was too easy to not take a shot.

Sounds like almost the same player to me. Dynamic with ball in hands. Too small. Horribly unpolished at WR. Is going to get jammed constantly in the NFL. Not a good route runner. These players have very minimal success in the league. Try a real WR.

Will all due respect, Ginn never got 570+ total yards against a defense like Oklahoma, or tore up the Texas Longhorn's defense like Austin did. I hate when people make the "too small" argument without ever having watched him.

Ted Ginn was a giant bearded clam. he was terrified if getting hit. if Austin plays with aggressiveness he will do fine. this comparison is pretty weak, its only based on measurables.

Back
Top Bottom