TB 2016 Draft Thread | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

TB 2016 Draft Thread

EDGE
Joey Bosa Ohio State 9.0
Noah Spence Eastern Kentucky 7.3
Shawn Oakman Baylor 7.2
Shilique Calhoun Michigan State 6.5

That's a little high for Noah Spence. As talented as he is, he's a walking talking failed drug test waiting to happen. That's why Ohio St. finally just cut him loose.

By the way, he just got arrested again a few days ago.

That's a little high for Noah Spence. As talented as he is, he's a walking talking failed drug test waiting to happen. That's why Ohio St. finally just cut him loose.

Looks like Spence is headed straight to UDFA prove-it status. Too bad. I really liked him.

Yeah I saw that, pretty minor arrest, but with his track record he needs to stay squeaky clean. All I know is on 3rd & 7 he can rush the **** out of the passer.

Looks like a much stronger group of linebackers this year, especially for 4-3 defenses. Another couple of standouts at running back as well, with Henry being that power back that I'd love to see Miami get.

My hope is that the offensive line comes together this season for Miami making the offense pretty complete (may need to add at tight end and running back depending on contracts). That would free things up to concentrate on putting together some additional defensive pieces. Cam Wake is getting up in years and Olivier Vernon may command a big contract so defensive end could be a big concern. Linebacker, at least right now, looks like the biggest area of need for the Dolphins. Would love Miles Jack or Jaylen Smith.

QB

Jacob Coker Alabama*
Vernon Adams Jr. Oregon*
Everett Golson Florida State*
Will they start?? ^^^

They'll all start, but I'm not sure Coker will hold onto the job all season. David Cornwell is already pushing him. I wouldn't be surprised to see him take that job from Coker at some point during the season.

Coker's delivery is extremely elongated and slow on those quick screen passes. He takes too long to get the ball out, giving defenders too much time to react and shed stalk blocks. Among other things....

Jacob Coker is a big, strong armed prototype pocket passer... which will automatically make him an NFL prospect in some team's eyes. No matter what his flaws are. Golson is the better prospect for several reasons.

They'll all start, but I'm not sure Coker will hold onto the job all season. David Cornwell is already pushing him. I wouldn't be surprised to see him take that job from Coker at some point during the season.

Coker's delivery is extremely elongated and slow on those quick screen passes. He takes too long to get the ball out, giving defenders too much time to react and shed stalk blocks. Among other things....

Jacob Coker is a big, strong armed prototype pocket passer... which will automatically make him an NFL prospect in some team's eyes. No matter what his flaws are. Golson is the better prospect for several reasons.

I also included Jake Ruddock the Iowa transfer at Michigan into that category as well. As soon as they are named starters I will do a pre-season evaluation on them, but I'd rather not spend time on them until they are.

I'm hearing that it's very likely Sean Maguire starts week 1. Jimbo demands more out of his QB's than any school in the country. Maguire has been in this system 3 years, Golson has barely been there 3 weeks. It's not the simple bubble screen Brian Kelly offense. I'm not sure if mentally Golson is ready to make run checks, slide the protection, work sight adjustments, etc. and all the nuances Jimbo requires of his QB's. I'm not saying Golson won't start at some point in the season, but he has a lot of ground to make up. I think it's likely Sean Maguire starts September 5th against Texas State.

I also included Jake Ruddock the Iowa transfer at Michigan into that category as well. As soon as they are named starters I will do a pre-season evaluation on them, but I'd rather not spend time on them until they are.

Honestly gonna be hard to evaluate Michigan QBs this year. Brady left the the outside bare for the offense. We have one guy who looks solid in Amarah Darboh and a bunch of unknown. TE though you've got Jake Butt (who if healthy I think will shoot up into a Day 2/early Day 3 prospect as a TE in Harbuagh's system) and keep an eye for Ian Bunting who is a RS Frosh. 6'7 with good hands.

Spence, not an OSU fan, but he's from my area. Good kid who just fell into a bad crowd. He was influenced by some bad people in OSU and going to Eastern Kentucky didn't give him a firm support group either. Honestly, he's a kid that would have been better suited going to Penn State, Syracuse, Maryland, or Pittsburgh; schools that were closer to his family.

QB (pre-season) Grades completed, onto RB's

Last edited by a moderator:
honestly are a few QBs I think could shoot up the board and surprise people based on flashes they have shown.

I'm trying a new philosophy of only evaluating QB & OL pre-combine, and evaluating the rest of the positions after combine metrics like SPARQ are available. OL will adjust slightly, but QB will remain the same. It's 2015 and I'm joining the metrics crowd.

The four best players on the field in the Auburn/Louisville game were Montravius Adams, Carl Lawson, Tray Matthews, and Josh Harvey-Clemons.

Adams was consistently disrupting plays in the Louisville backfield. Muschamp would reduce Carl Lawson down inside to rush over the guard in 3rd down and long situations, creating a devastating mismatch in favor of Auburn. In addition to forcing the interception by Louisville on the first play of the game. He had 4 tackles, 3 QB hurries, 2 TFL's, and a sack in less than 2 full quarters on the field. In fact, Lawson's absence in the 2nd half due to a hip flexor is what allowed Louisville to get back in the game.

Josh Harvey-Clemons was everywhere.... being physical, covering all areas of the field, hitting hard, being in the right place to pick off two Auburn passes, and flying downfield to make the tackle on special teams. Ditto for Tray Matthews. The two former Georgia safeties both made huge impacts for their new teams defensively.

Jason Fanaika was an absolute beast for Utah against Michigan. I haven't seen a single defender in the country that sets the edge against the run like this kid does. Extremely, extremely physical player that plays with great leverage on the ball. The very first offensive play of the 2nd half for Michigan won't show up on the stat sheet for Fanaika, but if you watched that play, it's one that will get all the guys in the room going during film study. He single handedly wrecked the entire left side of Michigan's offensive line on that play. He abused the sophomore Mason Cole all game.

Ohio St. wide receiver Michael Thomas abused Kendall Fuller in their matchup. It was either a big catch for a TD or a pass interference call virtually everytime the two were matched up. Fuller can play, but if your technique isn't sound against a kid like Thomas, you're in for a bad day. Fuller got lazy in his technique.

Skai Moore picked off two passes in the endzone that saved two potential North Carolina TD's. They were the difference in that football game that preserved the win for Coach Spurrier.

There's plenty to talk about studying matchups all over the country from last weekend's games, but Christian Hackenberg isn't as bad as he's playing right now. I've pointed out his glaring flaws previously in an attempt to curb some of the embellishment of just how good of a prospect he was being made out to be.... but he's not this bad. There's simply not much you can do when your offensive line is giving up sacks against a 2 man rush.

James Franklin better get this fixed or he'll be back to drawing an assistant's salary before he knows it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom