TB 2016 Draft Thread | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

TB 2016 Draft Thread

Entire thread has been updated. My draft work is done. Everything you see is final.

Not going to lie. I really like this Memphis QB Paxton Lynch. Where is he projected to go at?

According to some reports, he will be the first QB taken. I can't see him falling out of the top 10. That size, arm talent, and athleticism along with his decision making doesn't last long.

I remember watching him as a high schooler at Trinity Christian. He was a converted RB after a growth spurt playing in a Wing T offense. With the rate he's been able to progress, the sky is the limit.

After being MVP of the Central Florida All-Star game, Charlie Weis (then at UF) offered him a scholarship but when Brent Pease came in, he offered Skyler Mortinwhieg instead, based off his relationship with his father and longtime NFL coach Marty.

Paxton is being talked about as the #1 pick, while Mortinwhieg is currently playing for Columbia.......

So right now IMO the 2 best players in college football (and it's not even close) are Leonard Fournette and Jabril Peppers... and neither are draft eligible yet.

And to go back to the Lynch stuff, to be fair, Skylar Morningwhieg was a fairly highly touted QB in high school in his own right. He was committed to Penn State for a long time (decommitted during Penn State's scandal) and had offers from Bama, Illinois, Stanford, and Tennessee. Sometimes (all the time) the recruting of QBs is a crap shoot. I can pull up rankings from several classes and show you the top 10 QBs and you'd be shocked at how few have developed into top QB prospects.

I do like Calhoun (Mich St) & Lawson (Clemson) as DE's, Myles Jack, and the Fuller kid (Va Tech).

That said, Jalen Ramsey caught my eye yesterday. He or Su'a Cravens could be the LB/S hybrid (i.e. Bucannon w/ AZ) this D needs IMO.

They'll all start, but I'm not sure Coker will hold onto the job all season. David Cornwell is already pushing him. I wouldn't be surprised to see him take that job from Coker at some point during the season.

Coker's delivery is extremely elongated and slow on those quick screen passes. He takes too long to get the ball out, giving defenders too much time to react and shed stalk blocks. Among other things....

Jacob Coker is a big, strong armed prototype pocket passer... which will automatically make him an NFL prospect in some team's eyes. No matter what his flaws are. Golson is the better prospect for several reasons.

Curious; How are things looking for Cooper Bateman (from the SL Valley) for the remainder of his stay in Tuscaloosa?

Not going to lie. I really like this Memphis QB Paxton Lynch. Where is he projected to go at?

I think we need to draft a QB in 2016 to replace Matt Moore, and to let Tannehill know that he cannot just coast on his big contract. There are things Tannehill needs to get better at: throwing the long ball, putting more touch on his throws, knowing when to run and knowing when to throw it away, being smarter in the Red Zone, etc. i also like Lynch, but i think we need an O-lineman, and probably a LB or DE first. There could be some decent QB's in rounds 3-5.

There isn't a QB that will push Tannehill besides the big 3. And if they were to draft one of them they'd ship Tannehill off.

There isn't a QB that will push Tannehill besides the big 3. And if they were to draft one of them they'd ship Tannehill off.

I watch a lot of PAC-10 games and Kevin Hogan of Stanford often looks really good, but then he has some bad games thrown in as well. He might be worth a look if he is there in Round 3. I think the Top Three prospects will be off the board in the first round, and I can't see us taking a QB in round one.

I watch a lot of PAC-10 games and Kevin Hogan of Stanford often looks really good, but then he has some bad games thrown in as well. He might be worth a look if he is there in Round 3. I think the Top Three prospects will be off the board in the first round, and I can't see us taking a QB in round one.

Slimm and CK are much higher on Hogan than I am. I have a friend who really likes him, I just don't.

I don't like his release, and I don't think he sees the field well

If we were to look at another QB, I would take Carson Wentz from North Dakota State. I don't believe in the "developmental QB" as they hardly ever pan out, but he's a really good developmental QB. He's probably 6'5 maybe 6'6 ~240 pounds, is athletic and has arm talent.

The big thing for me obviously is level of competition. Some will point to Flacco or Jimmy Garoppolo (who I really liked), but the difference is one, they played in 1AA, or what they now call FCS, and two they jumped off the tape. I don't get the same feeing from Wentz.

But again, if you're looking for a developmental QB, Carson Wentz is the guy. Not Cardale or Hack.

Curious; How are things looking for Cooper Bateman (from the SL Valley) for the remainder of his stay in Tuscaloosa?

I'll give you two points of view on that, mine and what I believe the program's perspective is.

Personally, I don't think he's a good fit here.

As for the program's view, he did manage to convince Lane Kiffin and the staff that he deserved a shot at starting a game. He started one game this season against Ole Miss. The only game we lost. Coker came in and nearly led the team to a comeback win. Jake Coker has been a different quarterback since that happened. He's been a leader and displayed incredible toughness.

Blake Barnett and David Cornwell are the future of the program. I can't see Bateman doing anything here.

Back
Top Bottom