Texans trading for Tunsil and Stills (Merged X3) | Page 44 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Texans trading for Tunsil and Stills (Merged X3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
More recently, we traded Jarvis Landry for Durham Smythe and Chandler Cox.

Barf.
Well once you factor in the cap space you should add in Jarvis Landry was traded for Durham Smythe, Chandler Cox, Albert Wilson and one or two others (Danny Amendola?)?

Landry's trade was about his salary cap number to re-sign. The real thing we gained was the saved cap space. We were trying to re-sign him for a reasonable amount for a long time … he just wasn't going to accept anything but ridiculous money for a slot receiver, and we did the right thing by trading him away. None of us wanted him to leave … but everyone has a price, and he required too much money.

They're all in on Tua...devalued the LT position and making the RT more valuable since Tua is left handed. If Tua doesn't come out then the plan is shot but it's typical Dolphins to use hope as a plan and they hope Tua comes out next year.
You're probably right. But, I still think Grier would take Herbert over Tua and Fromm unless Herbert just busts this season. From what I've heard, this front office drools over Herbert's tools. I think as long as we get one of those 3 in 2020, we'll be just fine.

EXTREMELY reductionist logic that shows zero understanding of Pareto optimization. Whether Rosen is the franchise or not (currently unknown), the optimization principal would allow strategic actors to make an optimal decision (in this case huge compensation for a decent WR and a pretty good LT), still with the Pareto parameters of it possibly detracting from a previous choice or belief (in this case whether Rosen is the goods or not). In fact, strategic actors in business, wartime environs, and even courtrooms often can make decisions or choices where they believe garners more potential advantage even to the detriment of other highly valued decision calculus. While no one on this board is skilled enough to evaluate a QB at the NFL level or they would not be a message board pirate, we can apply Pareto logic and should all be intelligent enough to understand the basics of applying Pareto distributions and decision in one area can be weighed as is vice in strategic connection with outcomes we do not have data for.

I am shocked tha the simple idea of trading a good LT somehow cannot be seen through an optimization prism that may not be highly correlated to the decision prism at the Qb position. This is really basic stuff from a betting, econometric analysis, and even algorithmic roster building (aka what commoners call money ball). Lets try to do better and apply more nuanced rigor then falling into the simpleton trap of "oh they trade LT must not like QB."
ceteris paribus

You're probably right. But, I still think Grier would take Herbert over Tua and Fromm unless Herbert just busts this season. From what I've heard, this front office drools over Herbert's tools. I think as long as we get one of those 3 in 2020, we'll be just fine.
That makes sense. Herbert looks like a bust...looked like hot garbage today. Actually threw a hail mary to try and win the game out of the end zone today lol...classic.

That makes sense. Herbert looks like a bust...looked like hot garbage today. Actually threw a hail mary to try and win the game out of the end zone today lol...classic.
I wouldn't say hot garbage but it def wasn't a good showing. That last pass was horrific. He just needs to get into a groove. Lawrence was not impressive by any means either.

Funny weird bizarre thing is...

Historically.

Just for chits and giggles...

The last "great" qb the Saints DRAFTED was Archie Manning in '71.

Odd how historical reality turns out

I wouldn't say hot garbage but it def wasn't a good showing. That last pass was horrific. He just needs to get into a groove. Lawrence was not impressive by any means either.
Lawrence isn't coming out this year. He's a true sophomore. Fromm looked bad, Herbert looked bad, Jordan Love looked bad...only Tua looked good but they played weak competition.

One requires a talented CPA, one requires a lifetime of football knowledge?

Aponte has tons of the former and zero of the latter.
Dawn Aponte did one thing very well--negotiate contracts. If we could have restricted her influence to negotiating contracts, she would have been a very strong resource. But, like everyone in football, she wanted a hand in stirring the pot. Coaches aren't content to coach, they want to also be GM's. GM's aren't content to pick players, they also want to pick rosters and lineups and systems. Everyone in the front office wants more power and blames everyone else. It's really childish, but the organization structures in most NFL teams is very loosely structured and more commonly influenced by in-house politicking. It's a shame really … but it's hard to get good talent without promising them too much power.

Lawrence isn't coming out this year. He's a true sophomore. Fromm looked bad, Herbert looked bad, Jordan Love looked bad...only Tua looked good but they played weak competition.
No I know. I'm just saying the hiesman front runner didn't look good either

I'm right there with you. I think Rosen is part of the plan, he's going to serve as the first experience for Flores' staff at developing a young guy with a high ceiling, and I think he will compete with next years QB pick. Flores will likely want plenty of competition at QB. If next years pick doesn't work out, they can definitely try again in 2021, so I think keeping Rosen is smart if he really starts transcending.
I think this is also a test for the team to try and build a working OL the Patriot Way, without any big name premiere guys like Tunsil who will cost a fortune to keep.

Interesting.

It implies you don't have to be right about Rosen, but you do have to be prepared to replace him before the situation might demand it.

At some point they probably decided in camp this is my worst case long term two deep. But let’s remember this was a late 2nd rounder anyways that’s not even close to the all my chips on the table all in price on a qb.

So barring rosen completely blowing tbe doors off them he will at least have serious competition for the starting job in 2020 and by that I mean top 6 at least qb comp or worst case miamis trading up into it with its assets for its Grier and Flores ride or die draft qb. It it comes to that the draft pick will be plan a for tbe future.

I think more than anything this move should tell everyone prepare for rosen to have serious draft asset competition at qb in 2020

Plans can change but today’s move is very telling in terms of where their mindset is right now
Their QB target might be in the 2021 draft.

Yep, the kid sometimes looks like a Rockstar, and other time's looks like a roadie. That's his challenge this season, be more consistent and consistently accurate. Clean up his footwork. Make good decisions. If he can get it together for the last 3+ games of his college career, don't be surprised if he's the #1 overall pick, because that upside is definitely the highest of the 2020 QB's. The probability that he becomes the best QB is an entirely different story.

Dawn Aponte did one thing very well--negotiate contracts. If we could have restricted her influence to negotiating contracts, she would have been a very strong resource. But, like everyone in football, she wanted a hand in stirring the pot. Coaches aren't content to coach, they want to also be GM's. GM's aren't content to pick players, they also want to pick rosters and lineups and systems. Everyone in the front office wants more power and blames everyone else. It's really childish, but the organization structures in most NFL teams is very loosely structured and more commonly influenced by in-house politicking. It's a shame really … but it's hard to get good talent without promising them too much power.
If anyone deserved more power it was Dawn. Also she was one of the most respected in the organization. The only reason we lost her is she is running Ross's full portfolio now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom