Thanks For The Memories | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Thanks For The Memories

Time to finally move on from this organization. I always enjoy the Hayden Fox assessment and there is some great discussion on this board. I'm sure it'll stop by and check in every few months. You don't just go from 30+ years of following a team to just nothing.

I just feel my time is wasted watching such a deplorable group of management consistently fumbling on their performance. I honestly feel the problems with this team are entirely unrelated to the squad and solely the responsibility management (coaches, etc.). It is unrepairable and now firmly engrained into their core.

I kind of feel the same way. Love football but tired of my Sunday's being ruined by disappointment. Can't fully abandon my love for the Phins but I noticed last year I started skipping games and caring less. Been saying this for way too long but hopefully one day they'll be good

I have been a fan since 1970. In 1972, I proudly wore my Dolphins varsity jacket with white sleeves and Dolphin logo on chest to school. Being a Penn State fan, I was never as happy when we drafted Dan Marino. I saw his greatness while playing at Pitt. IMO, the organization lost its way when we hired Parcells. We had quality people , like Bryan Wiedmeier, and others pushed out the door. The biggest mistake of all, was bringing in Mike Tannenbaum. He took a decent Jets team and destroyed it. So, you bring him to Miami?

I remember the day patiently waiting for my Dolphin Digest to come in the mail. I paid first class postage just so I could get it in a timely manner back in the day. Living in New York it was the only way to get news about the Dolphins.

You make a great point about Parcells. He did absolutely nothing for Miami. However, I would go earlier and say Miami's downfall began the day they pushed Don Shula out the door for Jimmy Johnson. I guess an argument for Johnson could be that he built a decent defense. At the same time he limited the offense. Who in their right mind tells Marino he can't audible - totally wasted the last few decent Marino years.

If watching professional football, good or bad, affects your life so drastically you feel the need to denounce it, you probably should...

I remember the day patiently waiting for my Dolphin Digest to come in the mail. I paid first class postage just so I could get it in a timely manner back in the day. Living in New York it was the only way to get news about the Dolphins.

You make a great point about Parcells. He did absolutely nothing for Miami. However, I would go earlier and say Miami's downfall began the day they pushed Don Shula out the door for Jimmy Johnson. I guess an argument for Johnson could be that he built a decent defense. At the same time he limited the offense. Who in their right mind tells Marino he can't audible - totally wasted the last few decent Marino years.
You had to pay for first class postage to make sure it wouldn't come after the next game!

OH NO!!! You leaving Dolphin nation, never, ever to return...What...will...we...do.

This isn’t a choice. There is no leaving.

i've been a fan since 1974 and have not missed a play of any dolphin game since 1986 or so.. " every time i try to get out, they pull me back in".. i understand the OP's point but i can't do it.

my daughter is a soph at Penn state so i'm trying to make the college transition.

Time to finally move on from this organization. I always enjoy the Hayden Fox assessment and there is some great discussion on this board. I'm sure it'll stop by and check in every few months. You don't just go from 30+ years of following a team to just nothing.

I just feel my time is wasted watching such a deplorable group of management consistently fumbling on their performance. I honestly feel the problems with this team are entirely unrelated to the squad and solely the responsibility management (coaches, etc.). It is unrepairable and now firmly engrained into their core.
I won't even begin to tell you how to feel being a fan for 30+ years and all, but what a shame that an organization with such a rich history has fallen to such lengths that a life long fan has had enough. Hopefully you will change your mind sooner rather than later.

I find it amusing, but sad, when fellow Dolphin fans reply with things like: traitor, we don't need you, don't let the door hit you in the butt on the way out, fair weather fan, never a fan to begin with, etc. I am assuming most of these responses are from fans of 10-20 years or less. I have been a fan for 45 years, and with enough time your perspective changes - particularly dealing with a crap team over and over again. My first year in 1973 was the last Super Bowl win. It was awesome. Then the dam World Football League stole our three best players. The team never recovered from that and lost the "sea of hands" game the following year. Marino years were fun, and at least kept me involved. However, the past 20 years have been very bad. Hard to stay interested. In the off season I buy all the football magazines, read all the Dolphins football articles, study the draft picks and free agents, and get excited for the upcoming year; and then by mid-season it becomes clear that the team either sucks or is only mediocre. I have definitively detached myself the past 5 years. I dropped Direct TV and only watch the few games a year that make it to local TV. Unfortunately, I don't see much hope it the short term. Our owner has a lot of money and is a true fan, but he hasn't been able to pick good football people. I look at the Eagles and Rams and I am jealous, as they have been able to rebuild quickly and get it right. I hope the owner sees this as well and cleans house soon. Maybe one of these rebuild times (with new coach, GM, president or all) he will get it right. If the poster walking away has spent 30 years watching the team, have some sympathy for him because it hasn't been easy. Given that the average marriage only last 7 years, 30 years is a very long time. Hopefully the Dolphins will again be a kick asss team in the near future, which will get me more involved again and bring the poster back with the team! I will welcome him back from his sabbatical - because after 45 years, I understand his frustration of not seeing a light at the end of the tunnel.

I find it amusing, but sad, when fellow Dolphin fans reply with things like: traitor, we don't need you, don't let the door hit you in the butt on the way out, fair weather fan, never a fan to begin with, etc. I am assuming most of these responses are from fans of 10-20 years or less. I have been a fan for 45 years, and with enough time your perspective changes - particularly dealing with a crap team over and over again. My first year in 1973 was the last Super Bowl win. It was awesome. Then the dam World Football League stole our three best players. The team never recovered from that and lost the "sea of hands" game the following year. Marino years were fun, and at least kept me involved. However, the past 20 years have been very bad. Hard to stay interested. In the off season I buy all the football magazines, read all the Dolphins football articles, study the draft picks and free agents, and get excited for the upcoming year; and then by mid-season it becomes clear that the team either sucks or is only mediocre. I have definitively detached myself the past 5 years. I dropped Direct TV and only watch the few games a year that make it to local TV. Unfortunately, I don't see much hope it the short term. Our owner has a lot of money and is a true fan, but he hasn't been able to pick good football people. I look at the Eagles and Rams and I am jealous, as they have been able to rebuild quickly and get it right. I hope the owner sees this as well and cleans house soon. Maybe one of these rebuild times (with new coach, GM, president or all) he will get it right. If the poster walking away has spent 30 years watching the team, have some sympathy for him because it hasn't been easy. Given that the average marriage only last 7 years, 30 years is a very long time. Hopefully the Dolphins will again be a kick asss team in the near future, which will get me more involved again and bring the poster back with the team! I will welcome him back from his sabbatical - because after 45 years, I understand his frustration of not seeing a light at the end of the tunnel.

Thank You ...Yours is a very thought out response & I feel the same. I cant say for sure if this franchise will ever shine again but one thing is for certain, You cannot blame anyone who chooses to mow the lawn or rake leaves instead of watching 3 hours of bad football much less pay to do so.
To ridicule them is just juvenile...Its an immediate mute on my end

Back
Top Bottom