The 2006 Boston Red Sox Thread | Page 165 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The 2006 Boston Red Sox Thread

Rocky Raccoon said:
another year with Coco?...I don't think I can handle that. But Vernon Wells is a nice thought, all though I agree with them not trading him in the division. Maybe the Sox can make a play for Grady Sizemore? :D

There's no way the Sox can get Grady Sizemore (who I wanted them to get last offseason instead of Coco). Sizemore is probably the best young OFer in baseball.

I'm not sure that Coco can't handle Boston. Especially considering reports are out that his finger never healed from breaking it in April and he rushed back. I think that's more of a reason for his poor play than him being another Renteria.

The Red Sox were officially eliminated from the playoffs tonight. So I guess all the World Series talk earlier in the year was just that....talk! :D

FinsNYanksFan13 said:
The Red Sox were officially eliminated from the playoffs tonight. So I guess all the World Series talk earlier in the year was just that....talk! :D

well you'll be joining us after you lose in the wild card round :D

The yankees thread is ridiculous. There is no point in arguing anything with mikeo or finsny because they say the same thing every time, you have to be in the playoffs or whatever. Yes its true, you guys beat us this year and your in the playoffs and we are not. But then talk **** because we aren't talking anymore when anything we say you have the same comeback.

Buster Olney says the Sox will shop Manny again and this year there will be some takers for the right price... Not sure I am ready to see a Sox lineup without Manny but it may happen this year.. Board insiders told us last year was a lock, but it may happen this year.. I am not yet convinced Manny is that much a problem to get 40cents on the dollar for him..

So who is on the Sox fans' wishlist for the offseason?

Motion said:

Great question.

Well I think EVERY Red Sox fan would agree with me that they hope to have Jon Lester back pitching next year because that means he beat cancer and is healthy again.

The FA corp isn't really that great. I don't want any of the big names on my team i.e. Carlos Lee, Soriano, Schmidt, Zito, Mulder etc. For whatever reasons (and I have reasons for each) I know they're good but I don't want them on this team.

I'd love to somehow get Vernon Wells, so he'd be my first priority. I would shop Manny around and only make a deal if it landed us some nice players (i.e. Scot Shields, Brandon Wood, Ervin Santana, Howie Kendrick types). The need abotu 5 relievers and a closer too. Like I said before I'd take a flier on Gagne and pray he'll be healthy.

Resign Gonzo just for his defense. Maybe shop around Lowell for a young 1st baseman prospect so Youkilis could move back to 3rd (his stronger position) down the road.

The Sox are a mess right now though. I don't expect much from them in 2007 as of today.

GreenMonster said:
Buster Olney says the Sox will shop Manny again and this year there will be some takers for the right price... Not sure I am ready to see a Sox lineup without Manny but it may happen this year.. Board insiders told us last year was a lock, but it may happen this year.. I am not yet convinced Manny is that much a problem to get 40cents on the dollar for him..

Manny only goes if we can land 3 or 4 players in the deal. We would also need to get a big bat (Vernon Wells/Andruw Jones) to bat behind Ortiz or Ortiz will have an OBP of .800. Manny's really not as big of a problem as everyone (i.e. reporters, media) make him out to be and he is a very popular player inside the clubhouse. His contract is more attractive than it was last year but I think the Sox would have to eat some of it.

Motion said:

I think we could use some younger studs both with pitching and hitting. Manny is a question mark again. I don't really want Wakefield or Schilling back.

Rocky Raccoon said:
I think we could use some younger studs both with pitching and hitting. Manny is a question mark again. I don't really want Wakefield or Schilling back.

Excellent point!

I'll take Schilling back but Wakefield is interesting. Because of him (and not to really blame him) the Sox traded a young catcher (Bard) and young pitcher (Meredith) and Wake got himself hurt and was a non factor.

I really think the Sox need to think about Wakefield and what to do with him and if he's really needed.

Ray Finkle said:
Excellent point!

I'll take Schilling back but Wakefield is interesting. Because of him (and not to really blame him) the Sox traded a young catcher (Bard) and young pitcher (Meredith) and Wake got himself hurt and was a non factor.

I really think the Sox need to think about Wakefield and what to do with him and if he's really needed.

You don't make moves because of what a guy forced you to acquire. Wake's injury was a freak one and has nothing to do with his arm or any other nagging injury. For a staff that so desperately needs innings, Wakefield is a guy who can still rack up 200 of them. I'd hold onto him.

RWhitney014 said:
You don't make moves because of what a guy forced you to acquire. Wake's injury was a freak one and has nothing to do with his arm or any other nagging injury. For a staff that so desperately needs innings, Wakefield is a guy who can still rack up 200 of them. I'd hold onto him.

Wakefield is 39 years old though. Yes Wakefield's injury was a freak one and I'm not blaming him for the lost season but I do think he handicaps the team a bit when it comes to back up catching because like I said because of him the Sox got rid of a young Bard for an old Mirabelli who isn't even hitting his weight. Plus when he pitches the Sox don't field the best team because they don't let Varitek catch him because they don't want his body beaten up trying to catch the knuckleball.

Be honest Red Sox fans, how many of you thought you would be in third place on September 26th before the season started?

Back
Top Bottom