The 2006 Boston Red Sox Thread | Page 164 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The 2006 Boston Red Sox Thread

Something has me drawn to Daniel Bard also.. Read a ton of good things about the guy.. I got to watch him pitch on ESPN one night and I just liked his stuff.. Can't wait to see him in a Sox uniform.. I love great pitching..

GreenMonster said:
Something has me drawn to Daniel Bard also.. Read a ton of good things about the guy.. I got to watch him pitch on ESPN one night and I just liked his stuff.. Can't wait to see him in a Sox uniform.. I love great pitching..

Two names to look for next year are Clay Buchholz (top pitching prospect) and Michael Bowden. Both pitched extremely well in Single A and are part of Theo's long term pitching plan along with Papelbon and Lester.

Buchholz (21 years old) stats: combined 11 and 4, ERA was 2.62 in low A and 1.13 in high A, 24 games, 119 innings pitched 88 hits, 32 ER, 33 BB, 130 Ks, 5.75 K/BB ratio

Bowden (19 years old) stats: 9 and 6, 3.51 ERA, 24 games, 107.2 innings, 91 hits, 42 ER, 31 BB, 118 Ks, 3.81 k/BB ratio.

Ray Finkle said:
The Sox have their work cut out for them next year. The basically need to build a bullpen out of nothing. And I don't think they should be counting on Lester being in the rotation next year at all because really who knows what's going to happen.

Man a total overhaul.. We may have a Braves type bullpen with tons of young arms, and 1-2 veterns hopefully on the backend.. We need a closer and setup guy and there isn't much out there to be had..

GreenMonster said:
Man a total overhaul.. We may have a Braves type bullpen with tons of young arms, and 1-2 veterns hopefully on the backend.. We need a closer and setup guy and there isn't much out there to be had..

Would you take a chance on Brad Lidge? I know he hasn't been lights out since Pujols took him yard in the 2005 playoffs but maybe he needs a new team. Although if he can't handle it in Houston, could he handle it in Boston?

I still say try to sign Eric Gagne to a 2 year deal with options, cheap of course but with tons of bonuses.

Ray Finkle said:
Would you take a chance on Brad Lidge? I know he hasn't been lights out since Pujols took him yard in the 2005 playoffs but maybe he needs a new team. Although if he can't handle it in Houston, could he handle it in Boston?

I still say try to sign Eric Gagne to a 2 year deal with options, cheap of course but with tons of bonuses.

I would take a chance on Gagne and Lidge.. Lidge would be a killer setup guy ala Tom Gordon.. Gagne is gonna get hurt, but I will take him till he doesn't..

GreenMonster said:
I would take a chance on Gagne and Lidge.. Lidge would be a killer setup guy ala Tom Gordon.. Gagne is gonna get hurt, but I will take him till he doesn't..

Probably will get hurt but considering the other options I'd take the chance. Depending on how much the Sox would be willing to give him too of course.

I'd love to have Lidge as the set up man but I think it would take a lot to get him from Houston.

Son of. I was hoping Twins won tonight then they would be tied for first!

Majpain said:
Son of. I was hoping Twins won tonight then they would be tied for first!

The Twins have the O's and KC for the next 7 games. Certainly they can catch the Tigers still.

GreenMonster said:

I'll pass on Lidge... Pujols still has his confidence from the 2005 postseason.

I don't have any clue how the Front Office is going change this team in the offseason (no one does), but I REALLY want them to bring Alex Gonzalez back.

He was a joy to watch at SS this year. And his bat is better than advertised...

FaninPatsyLand said:
I don't have any clue how the Front Office is going change this team in the offseason (no one does), but I REALLY want them to bring Alex Gonzalez back.

He was a joy to watch at SS this year. And his bat is better than advertised...

Agreed. He's the best defensive SS I've seen since Ozzie Smith.

Red Sox targeting Andruw Jones this off season?

http://www.boston.com/sports/nesn/wilbur/sports_blog/blog/2006/09/22/jonesing_for_help/index.html

According to the link the Red Sox would send Coco Crisp to the Rockies and the Braves would ship Andruw Jones to the Sox. I'm not sure how valid this is mainly due to the fact that the Rockies want the Sox to play for some of Crisp's cheap contract. But it is an interesting idea as the Sox need to focus on the off season now.

Also Coco is going to get surgery on his finger because it's still broken (never fully healed) so that could be a big reason why he wasn't very good this year.

Ray Finkle said:
Red Sox targeting Andruw Jones this off season?

http://www.boston.com/sports/nesn/wilbur/sports_blog/blog/2006/09/22/jonesing_for_help/index.html

According to the link the Red Sox would send Coco Crisp to the Rockies and the Braves would ship Andruw Jones to the Sox. I'm not sure how valid this is mainly due to the fact that the Rockies want the Sox to play for some of Crisp's cheap contract. But it is an interesting idea as the Sox need to focus on the off season now.

Also Coco is going to get surgery on his finger because it's still broken (never fully healed) so that could be a big reason why he wasn't very good this year.

that would be a great addition for the Sox, but I've said it before...I really don't think Andruw Jones wants to leave Atlanta. I understand he may get traded anyway, but just something else to keep your eye on.

Rocky Raccoon said:
that would be a great addition for the Sox, but I've said it before...I really don't think Andruw Jones wants to leave Atlanta. I understand he may get traded anyway, but just something else to keep your eye on.

Personally I'd rather have Vernon Wells who's younger and in my opinion better all around than Jones.

The problem with Jones is that he's a 10/5 guy so he can block any trade. The problem with Wells is that I doubt the Jays would deal him within the division, even in a 3 way deal. The problem with both is that they're free agents at the end of the year so Boston risks the chance to trade anyone for them and then Jones/Wells walks at the end of the year. Of course Boston could just wait a year and try to sign them for the 2008 season.

Ray Finkle said:
Personally I'd rather have Vernon Wells who's younger and in my opinion better all around than Jones.

The problem with Jones is that he's a 10/5 guy so he can block any trade. The problem with Wells is that I doubt the Jays would deal him within the division, even in a 3 way deal. The problem with both is that they're free agents at the end of the year so Boston risks the chance to trade anyone for them and then Jones/Wells walks at the end of the year. Of course Boston could just wait a year and try to sign them for the 2008 season.
another year with Coco?...I don't think I can handle that. But Vernon Wells is a nice thought, all though I agree with them not trading him in the division. Maybe the Sox can make a play for Grady Sizemore? :D

Back
Top Bottom