The 2006 Tampa Bay Devil Rays Thread | Page 16 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The 2006 Tampa Bay Devil Rays Thread

UF Fin Kat said:
well, tonight should be a doozy. scott kazmir vs. francisco liriano.

yea i cant wait. to bad ill be watching it on espn gameday...how the hell do you not have this game on tv!?!? :tantrum:

Jonny Gomes is a clown, but the man at the same time. everything that surrounds him is hilarious..

THERE'S JONNY: Jonny Gomes' ejection might have been the shortest in history. With Navarro rolling on the ground after a sixth-inning collision at the plate, first baseman Greg Norton waved for someone on the Rays bench to get a towel. Gomes grabbed one and tossed it out on the field, and before Norton could pick it up, Foster tossed Gomes.

"I heard, 'Jonny, you're out of here.' I wasn't looking that direction or anything so I said, 'Why?' He said, 'You can't throw a towel on the field,' " Gomes recalled. "I said, 'Well, our catcher's bleeding, and he needs a towel, and he called for a towel.' And he said, 'Oh, I guess you can stay in then.' "

Today was a BIG day..

We traded Julio Lugo(who will be missed) for Joel Guzman and Sergio Pedroza.

Sergio Pedroza isnt a GREAT thing, but hes not exactly a throw in. The dodgers drafted him in the 3rd round in the 2005 draft. First the good news...He was hitting .281/.437/.562 good for a .998 OPS. He had 21 HRs and 75 RBIs with 73 walks in only 89 games! Now the Bad. He did that at 22 years old and in low A ball..He got called up to high A recently and through 13 games hes struggled.

Joel Guzman has big time potential. He was signed at age 16 by the dodgers from the Dominican. Originally a SS, he completely out grew the position. Now at about 6'6, hes got some nice pop, and is only 21 years old and holding his own at AAA. Ive seen him with my own eyes when he was in A ball. Never heard of him before and walked away amazed by him. He hit a bomb for a HR, and 2 doubles off the wall. A great swing to. So far the 21 year old is hitting .297/.353/.461(good for only a .814 OPS) through 85 games. Hes been known as a guy that hasnt always played hard to. But at 21 years old and putting up decent #s in AAA, with his body type, you have to take the chance.

Also with the trade, Kazmir and Wigginton going to the DL.

We called up JP Howell, who we aquired for Joey Gathright from the Royals. the 23 year old lefty only hits about 85 on the radar gun, but has absolutely NASTY breaking stuff. Hes pitched really, really well in AAA for us. Going 3-2 with a 2.11 ERA and 35K/9BB in 38 1/3 innings so far. Hes going to get the start tomorrow agaisnt the Tigers.

We called up Ben Zobrist as well. Ben was the 25 year old SS that we aquired for Aubrey Huff. Many questioned that trade, myself included, but so far through 18 games in AAA, hes played solid Defense and hit .304 with a .400 OBP. Walkin 10 times and only striking out 9 times. He has no power, good speed, and average glove, but with his eye and speed, he could definitely help the team. With Lugo being traded, hes coming up to play SS, and unless he struggles, most likely for the rest of the year.

And finally we called up BJ Upton. Hes going to be playing 3B for us. Since moving to 3rd hes made only 1 throwing error. Hes clearly ready with the bat. Most know about him so i wont go through his details...

Tomorrow our lineup will look like this most likely..

3B Upton
LF Crawford
CF Baldelli
2B Cantu
1B Lee
RF Branyan(should be, but could be Hollins or Greg Norton)
DH Gomes
C Navarro
SS Zobrist

SP Howell

Loved it..

btw, i went to the game yesterday for Howells first start for us...he was horrible...

Upton started at 3rd, made a great play over there, also had 2 hits including a smashed double down the line...

Zobrist started at short...showed little range and a small arm, so i think his future with us is at either 2nd base, or just a utility guy. He was worked some decent ABs though, but went 0-4.

Phins28 said:

clear.gif

this might be something youve never seen before...but its called a "class"...you might want to take some...See you go inside a "school" and you learn things...

might be kind of late for you, but i reserve hope....

Back
Top Bottom