The 2007 Atlanta Braves Thread | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The 2007 Atlanta Braves Thread

DolfinDave

FinHeaven VIP
Reaction score
Well the season got under way today. We fought back to beat the Phillies in extra innings. McCann had a nice day. And Renteria kept us in it with two big HRs to tie it in the 8th and to take the lead in the 10th.

By most accounts I have heard, they are predicted to finish 3rd in the NL East. They should have a good year. But it will be tough to beat out the Phils and Mets.

We made a few changes here and there. Hopefully the bullpen is solidified after the debacle that was last year.

If things go right, we could grab what should be a tough and close division this year. But at worst, I think we should be in the mix most of the year.

What do you guys think? How do you like the Braves' chances?

I think second place we slip in on a wild card spot. We just need to hope our bullpen gets better with time. A couple of hits were made that shouldn't have been there IMO.

What was soriano throwing, most of what he throws seems to go right down the pipe, i was on the internet so I couldn't see what he was throwing exactly.

I think the Braves are good for 2nd. Turner is no longer a burial ground for my beloved mets but at the same time Im not going to say its our stomping ground either.

Like I wrote in the prediction thread last night, I think the right side of the infield and left field spots could hold ATL back but knowing the braves they'll get more production then they should from no names/backup types and rookies.

People forget you guys actually scored more runs then NYM and Hudson has looked like himself this spring and if that carries over thats obviously big. If thats the case imo you have the best top 3 (smoltz/Hudson/James) in the division at least until Pedro comes back and we can revisit this then.

What was soriano throwing, most of what he throws seems to go right down the pipe, i was on the internet so I couldn't see what he was throwing exactly.

Same here. I was on the net chatting with another braves fan so I couldn't really see.

I think the Braves are good for 2nd. Turner is no longer a burial ground for my beloved mets but at the same time Im not going to say its our stomping ground either.

Like I wrote in the prediction thread last night, I think the right side of the infield and left field spots could hold ATL back but knowing the braves they'll get more production then they should from no names/backup types and rookies.

People forget you guys actually scored more runs then NYM and Hudson has looked like himself this spring and if that carries over thats obviously big. If thats the case imo you have the best top 3 (smoltz/Hudson/James) in the division at least until Pedro comes back and we can revisit this then.

I agree that the left side of the IF and LF are trouble spots. But like you said, we scored a lot of runs last year. And for the most part, that middle of the order with Chipper, Andruw, and McCann can carry the offense.

Hudson had a solid spring and should get back to more of his career average. Last year was his worst year ever.

The bullpen just killed them last year. They had close to 30 blown saves. With Wickman closing and Soriano and Gonzalez back there, it should be improved. But I am still concerned with it.

I agree that the left side of the IF and LF are trouble spots. But like you said, we scored a lot of runs last year. And for the most part, that middle of the order with Chipper, Andruw, and McCann can carry the offense.

Hudson had a solid spring and should get back to more of his career average. Last year was his worst year ever.

The bullpen just killed them last year. They had close to 30 blown saves. With Wickman closing and Soriano and Gonzalez back there, it should be improved. But I am still concerned with it.
My question is if McCann is this good, how good is Simontachi that they consider mcCann the 2nd best C in their system? I mean from what I have seen, McCann is some kind of hitter. Hes not mauer but hes damn good.

The other thing I see is that when Chipper inevitably misses his 20-40 games per for whatever injury it is this year, that lineup just doesnt look the same. And I think that could seperate you from winning the division. However I still have the braves pegged as a 87-88 win team (capping out at 93-94 if things fall right) and a wc berth.

My question is if McCann is this good, how good is Simontachi that they consider mcCann the 2nd best C in their system? I mean from what I have seen, McCann is some kind of hitter. Hes not mauer but hes damn good.

The other thing I see is that when Chipper inevitably misses his 20-40 games per for whatever injury it is this year, that lineup just doesnt look the same. And I think that could seperate you from winning the division. However I still have the braves pegged as a 87-88 win team (capping out at 93-94 if things fall right) and a wc berth.

Yeah I don't get the Simontachi thing either. McCann hit .333 with 24 HRs and 93 RBIs. That is only 14 points lower than Mauer, with more HRs and more RBIs. I haven't seen Simontachi but he must be an absolute beast.

Chipper might be the key to the offense. If he can not miss significant time, he will be great because you know he will hit. I am worried about the loss of LaRoche at first. He had 30 HRs and I think about 90 RBIs. That will be tough to replace.

But Giles was killing me last year. He really struggled in the leadoff spot. If we can get more production from that spot, I think it will help the offense. It will be tough to outscore the Mets again this year though. I agree with your prediction though. Should be solid. Could be pretty good if things fall into place.

I think if hampton returns to two year ago form our pitching rotation will be solid. Only problem spot again is the bullpen but with starters like that, as long as the offense puts us up we should be very hard to contend with. Hopefully Chipper stays healthy, but andruw did not look good from taht cleanup spot. I believe he was 0-5 today.

Looks like the dodgers lost today. Last I saw 7-1 to the brewers I think it was.

I think if hampton returns to two year ago form our pitching rotation will be solid. Only problem spot again is the bullpen but with starters like that, as long as the offense puts us up we should be very hard to contend with. Hopefully Chipper stays healthy, but andruw did not look good from taht cleanup spot. I believe he was 0-5 today.

Looks like the dodgers lost today. Last I saw 7-1 to the brewers I think it was.

My friend said that maybe if Andruw plays like he did today for the rest of the year we can get him at a discounted price next year. I don't think that is something I will hope for because I don't see us doing much if he struggles.

Really. I think we had to make a deal like that. Ramirez could be a solid left handed pitcher. Is Soriano that good of a reliever?
soriano has dominating stuff...he just dominates..i havent seen ramirez that much, he didnt have the best spring training and he is moving to AL, thats always tough for pitchers

Back
Top Bottom