The 2007 Mets Thread | Page 32 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The 2007 Mets Thread

Well lts put it this way, I wouldnt be upset if he became available and we got him for a package of say Humber and Milledge or something but first the Indians would have to go in to a tailspin (theyre playing well) and second the last time Minaya dealt with Cleveland and gave up a five tool OF for a rent a pitcher it was Grady Sizemore and Cliff Lee for Bartolo Colon. Im not sure he really would want to do something along those lines again.....even if the situation is MUCH different (i.e. team not moving, strike looming possibly, having financial resources etc).

As far as the current rotation, im pretty comfortable as it is, let alone when Pedro comes back. I dont expect Maine and Duque to have pristine sub 3 era's all year but collectively as a staff I dont see anyone who should have an era above 4 if they pitch to capability. Pelfrey may be the exception but even he is really just having bad 1st innings/1st time through. For some inexplicable reason hes doing much better the 3rd time he sees a hitter which is just the opposite of how it usually works. Im very confident Pelfrey can improve based on what hes done because its been stated hes too jittery before games; it seems like once he settles in hes fine. His era by pitch count and by inning breaks down as such:
Pitch 1-15 ERA: 0.00 WHIP: 2.14 OPP B/A: .300
Pitch 16-30 ERA: 15.00 WHIP: 3.33 OPP B/A: .417
Pitch 31-45 ERA: 6.14 WHIP: 0.82 OPP B/A: .200
Pitch 46-60 ERA: 0.00 WHIP: 3.00 OPP B/A: .467
Pitch 61-75 ERA: 19.64 WHIP: 0.55 OPP B/A: .154
Pitch 76-90 ERA: 0.00 WHIP: 1.50 OPP B/A: .231
Pitch 91-105 ERA: 0.00 WHIP: 1.00 Opp B/A: .250
Pitch 106-20 ERA: 0.00 WHIP: 0.00 OPP B/A: 1.000

1st inning: 12.60 ERA
2nd inning: 3.60
3rd inning: 12.60
4th inning: 2.25
5th inning: 0.00
6th inning: 4.50

1st 9 batters: 8.38 ERA
2nd 9 batters: 7.45
3rd 9 batters: 1.50

I wouldnt complain if we dealt for sabathia but I just dont see the point in letting Cleveland take Pelfrey back and essentially recycle high salaried vets for young potential stars. If they want to cut payroll they can sell him cheaper and give us some incentive to take him on. Just cause the mets have money to blow doesnt mean we should take the double risk and give up top tiered prospects too and that goes for any team not just the mets. Theres no reason to take a double hit if that moves goes bad, payroll and prospect depth.

I happen to really like CC but I question whether it makes sense to bring him in. We'd have a staff of Pedro/CC/TG/Maine/Ollie and bump Pelfrey and sosa but where too? Pelfrey has accomplished all he can at AA so he's got to take his lumps in the bigs. Sosa can go to the pen I suppose but then where does Sele go and is sosa really an upgrade? Too many bodies not enough spaces...To me 2b is a more pressing need. Just move Milledge there :)
I appreciate the quality response. I would never want a "rent" pitcher either. My entire motivation for getting CC is long term. It would have to be a deal where we could have a contract in place. I don't remember how that works in baseball, but by no means would I want a rented pitcher.
As far as the problems having CC would pose to our current rotation, well you'll have to excuse me for giggling like a school girl at the prospect of having such a problem. Too much starting pitching depth, seriously, that as good of a problem as you could have.

Pelfrey may in fact become a very good pitcher, but CC already is, and his only 28 and getting it done in the AL. I understand the aversion to risk, especially when giving away top prospects, but it's hard for me to see CC as a big risk. IMO you'd be trading for a Ace for the next 5-7+ years.

I'm not just looking at this as a one year fix. Our pitching is OLD. Sabathia is not only a great, Ace type, pitcher, but he's also young. I'd want a deal only if we could sign him long term, but not if he'd want to test the waters.
As far as the current rotation, it almost seems as if you're counting Pedro to come back and stay healthy, El Duque to stay healthy, and Ollie to stay effective. I know I :pray: all these things happen, but it does take quite the optimist :wink:

That's why Sabathia would make a lot of sense, if available. Our rotation looks great right now, but there's just *WAY* too much that can go wrong. IMHO, anything we get from Pedro this year is a bonus; I'm not counting on anything from him. El Duque is constantly hurt. Glavine and Maine are doing great, but they're the only two we can really count on. If Perez is still sitting on a sub-3.50 ERA and working on a 3/1 K/BB ratio at the All-Star Break, then I'll start counting on him. That's three reliable starters.

Getting Sabathia gives the Mets an innings workhorse on a staff full of 6 inning pitchers. The bullpen let the Mets down in last year's playoffs, and I'm sure the tremendous workload they had over the season had something to do with it. He also adds a high-90s heater to a rotation that doesn't have a great fastball in the bunch (though Maine is getting there).

As for Pelfrey, I'm all for letting the kid take his lumps in the bigs, but let him do it as a long reliever/spot starter. A rotation of Sabathia/Glavine/Maine/Perez/Hernandez would still probably give him some opportunities. And if Pedro comes back and looks strong, well, we've got the unfortunate problem of too many good starting pitchers. "Oh no! I've got too many good starting pitchers! Also, my wallet won't hold all my hundreds, and my diamond shoes are too tight!"

It's moot, of course; Sabathia isn't going anywhere. The Tribe are going to be in the hunt until the bitter end. Rich Harden is a much more likely target.

Rich Harden is a hell of a good pitcher. And his injury to wins ratio is almost HOF caliber...i mean what he at now, 2 wins for every one injury suffered for his career? I like him but unless we got him discounted (not likely) I wouldnt go near him.

Rich Harden is a hell of a good pitcher. And his injury to wins ratio is almost HOF caliber...i mean what he at now, 2 wins for every one injury suffered for his career? I like him but unless we got him discounted (not likely) I wouldnt go near him.

That's the big concern. Billy Beane will sell high with that kid. He'll wait for a string of 5 or 6 healthy starts and deal him to some pitching-desperate team. How much he'll get is another question. Honestly, he'll probably sell for more than the Mets would want to pay given his injury history. Still, unlike Sabathia, he's likely to be available, and there's a good chance he'll be the most talented pitcher on the market unless the Cubs free-fall and decide to move Zambrano.

Great game today all-around. Perez threw a gem. Easleys bat is on fire. Gomez hits a double in his first at bat, gets a SB, and had a great catch in right field. David Wright got 3 SB today. after yesterdays beating we really came out strong to take 2 out of 3 from the brew crew

so carlos gomez got called up and went 2-4, diving catch, stolen base....
good for him. is lastings still hurt? is that why gomez got the call?

so carlos gomez got called up and went 2-4, diving catch, stolen base....
good for him. is lastings still hurt? is that why gomez got the call?
Yes Lastings is still hurt. And now you see why I was raving about Gomez (and Martinez) in preseason. This is just the begining fellas, reyes says Gomez beats him when they race all the time. I dont think this kid is going back down.

And I hate to say it, I think Milledge is getting dealt for pitching....unless they get some brilliant idea to move him to 2b. :rolleyes2

faster than reyes? holy **** if that is true... really, can you imagine 2 guys on the mets stealing 60+ each?
so the lastings milledge experiment is over due to lack of arms? i can see that, but i really would like to see the guy get a shot at playing. but i guess the outfeild is pretty stacked for the future.

faster than reyes? holy **** if that is true... really, can you imagine 2 guys on the mets stealing 60+ each?
so the lastings milledge experiment is over due to lack of arms? i can see that, but i really would like to see the guy get a shot at playing. but i guess the outfeild is pretty stacked for the future.
I dont know that Gomez will ever be the base stealer that Reyes is but he can certainly run and at 6'4" thats pretty remarkable. He leads the Eastern League with 17 steals but he does so mostly because he has great wheels not because he has yet become great at reading pitcher's moves or deliveries. We'll have to be patient on Gomez power to develop but expect mostly a gap/doubles hitter who can make contact. He may be our future 2 hole guy at least until his power develops further.

With Milledge, Im just wondering who it will be for at this point. I like our pitching staff as it is, but i have a gut feeling something is going to happen soon. I just cant see us keeping Milledge through the year in the minors, when he belongs on a big league roster somewhere. And the only 3 areas we really need significant help are the pen (hes not getting dealt for pen help), 2b (I dont see many 2b available Id deal him for), and SP, and this is the only spot we have an open spot (#5). So if we dealt say Edge and a B level prospect for Cliff Lee and Rafael Betancourt (I think theyre more expendable for Cleveland then Sabathia) that woud make some sense for both sides. I know its not a sexy name but Lee is also an innings guy. Peterson could probably work some magic with him and get him back to the 15-17/4-ish era win pitcher hes capable of being.

I dont know that Gomez will ever be the base stealer that Reyes is but he can certainly run and at 6'4" thats pretty remarkable. He leads the Eastern League with 17 steals but he does so mostly because he has great wheels not because he has yet become great at reading pitcher's moves or deliveries. We'll have to be patient on Gomez power to develop but expect mostly a gap/doubles hitter who can make contact. He may be our future 2 hole guy at least until his power develops further.

With Milledge, Im just wondering who it will be for at this point. I like our pitching staff as it is, but i have a gut feeling something is going to happen soon. I just cant see us keeping Milledge through the year in the minors, when he belongs on a big league roster somewhere. And the only 3 areas we really need significant help are the pen (hes not getting dealt for pen help), 2b (I dont see many 2b available Id deal him for), and SP, and this is the only spot we have an open spot (#5). So if we dealt say Edge and a B level prospect for Cliff Lee and Rafael Betancourt (I think theyre more expendable for Cleveland then Sabathia) that woud make some sense for both sides. I know its not a sexy name but Lee is also an innings guy. Peterson could probably work some magic with him and get him back to the 15-17/4-ish era win pitcher hes capable of being.

Again, I'm really not up on the trade values, but I do think Cliff Lee could be valuable.

Well alou wont be returning anytime soon so we may be getting a longer look at Gomez then we planned. The book on Alou is that he ets hurt a lot and as usual the book is right....

"Alou said the MRI showed bleeding in the quad, and the Met outfielder knows he's probably making his 15th trip to the DL if things don't turn around quickly in the next day or two. "

"I don't feel very good right now," he said. "I'm not very optimistic about it. How long? I'm not going to come back any time soon."

http://www.nypost.com/seven/0514200...for_alou_____again_mets_michael_morrissey.htm

The unfortunate reality of the inevitable. Hopefully I'll be able to catch a few games with Gomez.

When Chipper is right, hes right: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...c.bbn.braves.cjones.interleague.ap/index.html

Id be more worried if I didnt feel the Braves were our only legit threat but it still sucks that we get to play good AL teams while some of the good NL teams like Florida get to play bad AL teams like TB. The level of competition should be equalized.
It drives me crazy. I guess there can be an argument made that most of the tougher matchups involve teams of means, thus making it a more level playing field. I still hate it, and it just doesn't make sense.

Back
Top Bottom