The 2007 Mets Thread | Page 31 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The 2007 Mets Thread

Update on "the chosen one", fernando martinez:

11. Fernando Martinez, of, Double-A Binghamton (Mets)
After a .261/.329/.362 April, Martinez, 18, found his stroke in the EL, going 12-for-25 (.480) with four multi-hit games and four doubles last week. Finally cracked Baseball America's prospects hot sheet...looks like he has adjusted to the higher level of competition. Fernando also went 4-8 with a run and an RBI in a DH yesterday, he's now hitting .316/.385/.418.

i wonder if anyone still wants to worry about the mets starting pitching...and its worse they happen to pitch for one of the best offensive teams in the NL: http://newyork.mets.mlb.com/stats/s...07&groupByTeam=true&Submit=Submit&timeFrame=1

http://newyork.mets.mlb.com/stats/s...07&groupByTeam=true&Submit=Submit&timeFrame=1

thanks for the update on fernando. sometime in 2008?

Looks like it is a 2 team race between the Muts and Braves....the Phils, Marlins and Gnats might as well mail it in.

:err:

Damn you guys sure jumped on Cain early. :(
That was m.o. last year. Our first inning scoring differential was absurd. It's all about Reye

Thanks for the update Matt! I can't wait to see this guy play.

Okay, so CC Sabathia is supposed to be available in a few months if Cleveland is out of the race. Is this something you would want us to be a bidder on?
I would. I am horrible at gauging fair trade values in MLB, so I won't pretend to know what it will take... but, if we had to package up Pelfrey and Lastings you wouldn't hear my complain. This is probably a premature conversation, but I've been thinking about it.

thanks for the update on fernando. sometime in 2008?
Could be. If we actually needed him id say yeah. he didnt look out of place during spring training and typically it hasnt taken him longer then a month to adjust at any level. He adjusted in about three weeks to AA and hes still only 18, an age when most are still in low A ball. Hes going to be exceptional...think along the lines of another beltran.

That was m.o. last year. Our first inning scoring differential was absurd. It's all about Reye

Thanks for the update Matt! I can't wait to see this guy play.

Okay, so CC Sabathia is supposed to be available in a few months if Cleveland is out of the race. Is this something you would want us to be a bidder on?
I would. I am horrible at gauging fair trade values in MLB, so I won't pretend to know what it will take... but, if we had to package up Pelfrey and Lastings you wouldn't hear my complain. This is probably a premature conversation, but I've been thinking about it.
No problem...

As far as CC Sabathia, yeah id want him but with cleveland rolling I doubt theyd move him. And you have to ask why we need him? Sure hes a good SP but arent we leading the league in starters era? And Pedro is ahead of schedule and should be back by late july/early august. Who gets bumped for Pedro? It wont be duque because hes better served being a starter then in the pen. It cant be Maine or Glavine. Ollie could be an option but I doubt it cause thats the last guy we'd want out of the pen. Leaving Pelfrey...And its not an if Pedro's coming back, its when. So where does Sabathia fit in if he ever became an option?

To me the more pressing need is another bullpen arm.

This is a pretty funny excerpt from a piece on the mets all shaving their heads,...except reyes and sele:

"The one person everyone wanted to see in Beltran's chair, though, was pitching coach The Jacket, who has more hair that he has analogies.

"There's a better chance I'll punch out 20 tonight" Glavine said, "than [Peterson will] get that cut off."

"He's hiding in the outfield," Heilman said.

Billy Wagner suggested, "Let's get him. What's he gonna do, soft-toss us to death?"

And when it was nearly time to take the field for batting practice, Glavine, his graying locks untouched, found a silver lining in all the ugliness he saw before him. "At least now we won't spend any time at the mirror," Glavine said, "and the bus can leave on time."

No problem...

As far as CC Sabathia, yeah id want him but with cleveland rolling I doubt theyd move him. And you have to ask why we need him? Sure hes a good SP but arent we leading the league in starters era? And Pedro is ahead of schedule and should be back by late july/early august. Who gets bumped for Pedro? It wont be duque because hes better served being a starter then in the pen. It cant be Maine or Glavine. Ollie could be an option but I doubt it cause thats the last guy we'd want out of the pen. Leaving Pelfrey...And its not an if Pedro's coming back, its when. So where does Sabathia fit in if he ever became an option?

To me the more pressing need is another bullpen arm.
I'm not just looking at this as a one year fix. Our pitching is OLD. Sabathia is not only a great, Ace type, pitcher, but he's also young. I'd want a deal only if we could sign him long term, but not if he'd want to test the waters.
As far as the current rotation, it almost seems as if you're counting Pedro to come back and stay healthy, El Duque to stay healthy, and Ollie to stay effective. I know I :pray: all these things happen, but it does take quite the optimist :wink:

good win by the mets today... coming from behind... 2 off of benitez in the 9th. wright with a huge hit... good win.

Wright with the GW RBI. Man, I miss that stat. I used to look at the paper every morning to see who would have it, and I swear Ho Jo had for every win over a 5 year span.

I'm not just looking at this as a one year fix. Our pitching is OLD. Sabathia is not only a great, Ace type, pitcher, but he's also young. I'd want a deal only if we could sign him long term, but not if he'd want to test the waters.
As far as the current rotation, it almost seems as if you're counting Pedro to come back and stay healthy, El Duque to stay healthy, and Ollie to stay effective. I know I :pray: all these things happen, but it does take quite the optimist :wink:
Well lts put it this way, I wouldnt be upset if he became available and we got him for a package of say Humber and Milledge or something but first the Indians would have to go in to a tailspin (theyre playing well) and second the last time Minaya dealt with Cleveland and gave up a five tool OF for a rent a pitcher it was Grady Sizemore and Cliff Lee for Bartolo Colon. Im not sure he really would want to do something along those lines again.....even if the situation is MUCH different (i.e. team not moving, strike looming possibly, having financial resources etc).

As far as the current rotation, im pretty comfortable as it is, let alone when Pedro comes back. I dont expect Maine and Duque to have pristine sub 3 era's all year but collectively as a staff I dont see anyone who should have an era above 4 if they pitch to capability. Pelfrey may be the exception but even he is really just having bad 1st innings/1st time through. For some inexplicable reason hes doing much better the 3rd time he sees a hitter which is just the opposite of how it usually works. Im very confident Pelfrey can improve based on what hes done because its been stated hes too jittery before games; it seems like once he settles in hes fine. His era by pitch count and by inning breaks down as such:
Pitch 1-15 ERA: 0.00 WHIP: 2.14 OPP B/A: .300
Pitch 16-30 ERA: 15.00 WHIP: 3.33 OPP B/A: .417
Pitch 31-45 ERA: 6.14 WHIP: 0.82 OPP B/A: .200
Pitch 46-60 ERA: 0.00 WHIP: 3.00 OPP B/A: .467
Pitch 61-75 ERA: 19.64 WHIP: 0.55 OPP B/A: .154
Pitch 76-90 ERA: 0.00 WHIP: 1.50 OPP B/A: .231
Pitch 91-105 ERA: 0.00 WHIP: 1.00 Opp B/A: .250
Pitch 106-20 ERA: 0.00 WHIP: 0.00 OPP B/A: 1.000

1st inning: 12.60 ERA
2nd inning: 3.60
3rd inning: 12.60
4th inning: 2.25
5th inning: 0.00
6th inning: 4.50

1st 9 batters: 8.38 ERA
2nd 9 batters: 7.45
3rd 9 batters: 1.50

I wouldnt complain if we dealt for sabathia but I just dont see the point in letting Cleveland take Pelfrey back and essentially recycle high salaried vets for young potential stars. If they want to cut payroll they can sell him cheaper and give us some incentive to take him on. Just cause the mets have money to blow doesnt mean we should take the double risk and give up top tiered prospects too and that goes for any team not just the mets. Theres no reason to take a double hit if that moves goes bad, payroll and prospect depth.

I happen to really like CC but I question whether it makes sense to bring him in. We'd have a staff of Pedro/CC/TG/Maine/Ollie and bump Pelfrey and sosa but where too? Pelfrey has accomplished all he can at AA so he's got to take his lumps in the bigs. Sosa can go to the pen I suppose but then where does Sele go and is sosa really an upgrade? Too many bodies not enough spaces...To me 2b is a more pressing need. Just move Milledge there :)

Wright with the GW RBI. Man, I miss that stat. I used to look at the paper every morning to see who would have it, and I swear Ho Jo had for every win over a 5 year span.
I still gasp at HoJo not wearing #20 anymore :err:

Back
Top Bottom