The 2022 Running Back Debate | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The 2022 Running Back Debate

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
It seems likely that Grier will take a running back in the 2022 draft, probably even fairly high. I've looked at what many consider to be the top three and my order would probably be....

1. Spiller
2. Walker III
3. Hall

Any one of these guys could be a nice upgrade for Miami and figure to go in that 2nd round range. Although they would all rank behind Harris and Williams from last year at least IMO.

Spiller looks to be the best open field runner and possibly the best pass catcher of the three. He has good visions to the hole. Walker III is shifty and breaks a lot of tackles. His vision is probably third among these backs. Hall gets those tough yards and is pretty consistent, always finding the right hole with really good vision. He might be one of those backs that doesn't necessarily look super impressive, but just finds a way and gets yards.

Lots of talk here about Cook if Miami waits a little bit longer. As things stand right now, I think it's a good bet that the Dolphins get an offensive lineman in R1 and a running back R2. Although, free agency can change that.

Im not a fan of drafting RBs high this year. We'll know more after the combine, but I would be okay with let's say Jerome Ford CIN, Kennedy Brooks OK, one of the runners from Ok St, there will be good runners later.

You can draft a good one late. I liked Elijah Mitchell late and he has worked out for the 49ers. I’d be looking at guys like James Cook, Chris Rodriguez, Brian Robinson, Zamir White. There will be somebody sitting there in the fifth.
You were spot on with Elijah Mitchell.

With a cursory look, this class of running backs isn't nearly as exciting as the prior two years. But there are always surprises.

Building up the offensive line should be the primary goal.

You can draft a good one late. I liked Elijah Mitchell late and he has worked out for the 49ers. I’d be looking at guys like James Cook, Chris Rodriguez, Brian Robinson, Zamir White. There will be somebody sitting there in the fifth.
Gaskin - not the answer
Doaks - Hasn't been seen
Perry - gadget guy, not a true RB
Cox - who
Ballage - hahaha...strong but zero vision
Drake - couldnt hold the job against these guys mentioned above.

I think we either spend big in FA or draft one early - Walker/Hall/Spiller/Williams. I think we have to.

Isaiah Spiller will be a day 3 value for me. He has not had 200 carries in a season the last two years, has not broken over 6.0 average in the last two seasons. has not scored 10 TD in a season, and he is skinny at 6-1 215. There are just better backs than Spiller to be had in the draft. I would not draft him.

Keneth Walker will be a day 2 value for me, mainly because he weighs 210 at 5-10. He has a smallish frame. And for that smallish frame his production is a little wacky so there are concerns there. Also there are some inconsistencies between this season and the previous season in his average. So for those reasons, Id say round 3 value for me.

Breece Hall at 6-1 220 runs a bit upgright, but has a decent frame and size, I think he is a workhorse back, has had great consistent production over the last two season, and is dangerous when he breaks loose. For those reasons I would put him as a late day 1 early day 2 value. Kinda like Zeke Elliot, Melvin Gordon, those 6-1 thick workhorse runners with athleticism.

Last edited:
Isaiah Spiller will be a day 3 value for me. He has not had 200 carries in a season the last two years, has not broken over 6.0 average in the last two seasons. has not scores 10 TD in a season, and he is skinny at 6-1 215. There are just better backs than Spiller to be had in the draft. I would not draft him.

Keneth Walker will be a day 2 value for me, mainly because he weighs 210 at 5-10. He has a smallish frame. Amd for that smallish frame his production is a little wacky so there are concerns there. Also there are some inconsistencies between this season and the previous season in his average. So for those reasons, Id say round 3 value for me.

Breece Hall at 6-1 220 runs a bit upgright, but has a decent frame and size, I think he is a workhorse back, has had great consistent production over the last two season, and is dangerous when he breaks loose. For those reasons I would put as a late day 1 early day 2 value. Kinda like Zeke Elliot, Melvin Gordon, those 6-1 thick workhorse runners with athleticism.
I like Hall a lot. He's just what Miami needs.

I don’t see a RB that would be value with the 2nd round pick unless Miami makes the playoffs and that pick is later in round 2. I want Burks in round 1 and the best tackle available in round 2. Hopefully a RB can be had in the 3rd.

Back
Top Bottom