The 2022 Running Back Debate | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The 2022 Running Back Debate

It seems likely that Grier will take a running back in the 2022 draft, probably even fairly high. I've looked at what many consider to be the top three and my order would probably be....

1. Spiller
2. Walker III
3. Hall

Any one of these guys could be a nice upgrade for Miami and figure to go in that 2nd round range. Although they would all rank behind Harris and Williams from last year at least IMO.

Spiller looks to be the best open field runner and possibly the best pass catcher of the three. He has good visions to the hole. Walker III is shifty and breaks a lot of tackles. His vision is probably third among these backs. Hall gets those tough yards and is pretty consistent, always finding the right hole with really good vision. He might be one of those backs that doesn't necessarily look super impressive, but just finds a way and gets yards.

Lots of talk here about Cook if Miami waits a little bit longer. As things stand right now, I think it's a good bet that the Dolphins get an offensive lineman in R1 and a running back R2. Although, free agency can change that.
I’ve watched spiller and Walker so far. I like them both, prefer Walker due to his strength, breaking tackles, stronger blocker

I’ve watched spiller and Walker so far. I like them both, prefer Walker due to his strength, breaking tackles, stronger blocker
My only potential issue with him is he isn't decisive sometimes in hitting the hole. Those patient runners might not fare well in Miami???

Then again, could be a coachable trait.

I like Chris Rodriguez the best. I will probably have him as #1 RB day 1 value ahead of Hall. I hope we get him. I think he is just what we need.
Yeah Chris is great. He played HS ball about 4 miles from my house. He is a thumper. I prefer a little more speed though.

Another kid from my neighborhood woul be a good later round WR, Jadon Haselwood Oklahoma.

I really like the following:
Tyler Allgeier
Zach Charboneauu
Sincere McCormick
Brian Robinson Jr
Dvonte Price
Zonovan Knight

I think they should double up, draft two RBs.

I strongly believe the Dolphins should consider Dameon Pierce. Would be a very good complement to what we already have in Gaskin. Incredibly tough to bring down with tons of missed tackles, a good pass catcher out of the backfield, and would be a steal in the 3rd round or later. Was criminally underutilized by the Gator coaching staff, so as a bonus, he doesn’t have as much mileage on him as you might expect from a senior.

I strongly believe the Dolphins should consider Dameon Pierce. Would be a very good complement to what we already have in Gaskin. Incredibly tough to bring down with tons of missed tackles, a good pass catcher out of the backfield, and would be a steal in the 3rd round or later. Was criminally underutilized by the Gator coaching staff, so as a bonus, he doesn’t have as much mileage on him as you might expect from a senior.
I know Pierce's uncle. He's a damned good kid by all accounts and would be a positive in the locker room.

As a Gator fan, I dislike Dan Mullen for not using him more.

You can draft a good one late. I liked Elijah Mitchell late and he has worked out for the 49ers. I’d be looking at guys like James Cook, Chris Rodriguez, Brian Robinson, Zamir White. There will be somebody sitting there in the fifth.
You may be right but I’m tired of waiting around to find that gem. I was hoping we could draft Mitchell too and nope

We need one within the first two days of the draft.

I worry that our FO will prioritize all-around polish over just being the best runner. A couple of drafts back I had Jonathan Taylor as the best runner and I didn't think it was close. But the reports were that the Dolphins had JK Dobbins at the top of their RB board b/c he was considered the best all-around back. IMO you take the best runner and if he is a good athlete and has the right personality then he'll develop as a pass blocker and receiver. If you take the best all-around guy you're more likely to end up with the guy who just isn't great at anything.

I worry that our FO will prioritize all-around polish over just being the best runner. A couple of drafts back I had Jonathan Taylor as the best runner and I didn't think it was close. But the reports were that the Dolphins had JK Dobbins at the top of their RB board b/c he was considered the best all-around back. IMO you take the best runner and if he is a good athlete and has the right personality then he'll develop as a pass blocker and receiver. If you take the best all-around guy you're more likely to end up with the guy who just isn't great at anything.
I agree with you on Taylor.

The best part about drafting RBs *late* is that you can't really complain when they suck. All you can do is kick yourself in the arse for all the ones we passed on that are doing good. Then we get to go another year with a league low Running game.

If we wait until round 4 and our targeted back goes before we pick and are stuck with a 5th or 6th round running back, we deserve to lose games.

Sounds like a solid plan.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom