The 44th pick | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The 44th pick

that being said i don't know if any of you guys are gonna get me to come around on derrick morgan as a solb...lol

that being said i don't know if any of you guys are gonna get me to come around on derrick morgan as a solb...lol

Your opinion is a valid one. He may, or may not. And you should only change your mind based on what you see, should you do so.

After watching Morgan last night, I do believe he can transition to SOLB. He was playing well in space. Pretty much all of the big run plays went opposite of him. He displayed a great bull rush and his spin move is pretty clean as well. When I did see him drop into coverage, he was right there with his man (even though they ran it away from him). He's not the fastest, but he's got pretty good speed and a relentless motor. When I saw them rush 3, and Morgan tried to get through 3 people to get to Stanzi, I was impressed. Stanzi scrambled and Morgan still broke off the blocks to catch him after a few yards.

I've read through all this twice and I'm still not sure what the hell I read....

Bottom line is the Patriots are the best in the league at stockpiling future draft picks.....especially 2nd rounders....that's where the VALUE is...even over 1st rounders in the latter part of the round....

I'll just about trade you my 25th overall pick for your 45th overall pick (and pick up extra picks in the process) every time....the Patriots are the best at doing this....they know how to do business...

The talent in 2011 is extremely rare....especially at positions that are perceived positions of need for Miami....(and positions that will be soon)..

If you expect Miami to do well in 2010....then their 2nd round pick is going to be late in the 2nd round anyway...

I'd rather have two 1st round picks and a 2nd round pick in 2011..... than a 1st and 2nd round pick in 2010....

Hell, if you want you can even trade down with one of those extra 1st rounders and have a 1st rounder...two 2nd rounders....and two 3rd rounders, etc...

The draft is a game played by 32 teams in 32 different war rooms 32 different ways......you need all the ammunition you can get to manipulate it in your teams favor...

Picks = Ammunition

Not if you draft players like Pat Turner :chuckle:

Exactly...and they made up for it with Hartline in the 4th...

It's why you double up on draft picks at the same position....it's a strategy....to increase your odds of hitting on a position that you're trying to upgrade...

You break even on your picks in that scenario....but you come out with at least ONE player at the position that can contribute.....which was your only goal in the first place....

Your opinion is a valid one. He may, or may not. And you should only change your mind based on what you see, should you do so.

After watching Morgan last night, I do believe he can transition to SOLB. He was playing well in space. Pretty much all of the big run plays went opposite of him. He displayed a great bull rush and his spin move is pretty clean as well. When I did see him drop into coverage, he was right there with his man (even though they ran it away from him). He's not the fastest, but he's got pretty good speed and a relentless motor. When I saw them rush 3, and Morgan tried to get through 3 people to get to Stanzi, I was impressed. Stanzi scrambled and Morgan still broke off the blocks to catch him after a few yards.

i'm gonna rewatch that 4th quarter when ck said morgan was showing olb skills

I am with you, 100%. I do feel, however, that if Dez Bryant is available at 12, we don't need to double up on WRs and we can focus on defense the remainder of the draft. This would be the ideal situation IMO.

yep...barring oline or rb i agree

you get dez you don't need another wr

Derrick Morgan can certainly translate to a SOLB. His pass rushing technique's are beautiful. He uses his hands, bends well, has solid closing speed. Needs work in coverage but that's why coaches get paid

I do get your point, CK. A 2011 first round pick is worth as much as a 2010 first round pick, except that the talent field looks ridiculously deep next year.
I guess the next question would be this: How do you determine what positions to cover this year vs next year? And do you see players falling to the 3rd-4th round this year that could contribute quickly at a position of need?

I appreciate the sentiments guys. I've come to respect a lot of peoples' opinions and a lot of peoples' eyes. I've had hundreds of people over the years come out acting like an *** hat, thinking they're suddenly going to prove in one sitting that I have no clue what I'm talking about. It's nothing new.

Above all just keep in mind that what I respect most of all is work, the work people put in to know what they're talking about. I'm a believer that if you're going to do something you might as well be good at it and with this stuff there's one pretty good way to be good at it and that's to work on it and care about it.

And as the the 2010 vs 2011 thing, Slimm put it very well and to the point. The 2011 draft looks like a rare gem to me right now and yes I'd give up 2010 picks to get a bigger piece of that pie. And absolutely the draft is a war game and you're much more maneuverable with more ammunition.

One thing I'm trying to communicate though is that winning in 2011 is going to seem just as important to us all in 2011 as winning in 2010 feels to us now...and so I question why a 2010 draft pick should by default be more coveted than a 2011 draft pick.

Back
Top Bottom