The All-Purpose Free Agency thread... | Page 191 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The All-Purpose Free Agency thread...

You seriously doubt CK really believes his own Tweet? WTF? He is not wont to post silliness just for the hell of it. I think you can rest assured he was sincere with his Tweet. He is definitely not clueless. As for whatever most here believe on the subject, that is proof of nothing. Remember what Bertrand Russell said about majority opinions.
“The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widely spread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.”

First, I may have figured something out > Cris Koufmann is CK?
I have great respect for CK. Knowledgeable and even handed. Nonetheless, I disagree Grier or any GM unilaterally making draft picks against the desires of the HC. Grier doesn't make his board or make picks in a closet. NO chance. And no GM wants to be in a meeting with the owner and HC:
Mcd: Yes, Mr Ross, we played poorly, but remember, I, the coordinators, position coaches and scouts wanted Peyton Manning, but Mr. Grier, on his own, picked Iggy. How can I be held accountable for that pick?
Ross: OK, Cris, that's the same reason Gase and Flo gave and the outcomes are consistent. Explain to me how your pick was seen as better than the pick of the entire organization.
No chance. Anyone claiming a GM, by himself, makes draft picks is not understanding the dynamics.

Interesting that a trade from 21 to 29 happened twice because I think thats a strong possibility this year with the Lions needing a CB and having a pick I'd like to take, 73rd overall, which they got from Minnesota as part of the Hockenson trade. They've already traded their later third round pick to TB for Carlton Davis. With this Cam Sutton warrant and subsequent release, I think there back to needed a CB. I'd wait until we're on the clock to make that trade as I'd want to make sure I am not passing on someone I think is great but I am down with pick 73 to trade down 8 spots, otherwise.

Being that the Eagles are at 22, if someone wants their CB, they better come get him at 21. I'd be surprised if the Eagles didn't take a CB at 22. Packers also have a need but OT might be a bigger one. OT and CB are where I think GB will be looking but they might take their chances and not give up anything.

2019 – Jags traded from 21 to 29 for two 4th's
2022- Pats – traded from 21 to 29 for a 3rd and 4th

Lol that's true.

When I saw those examples I was like " that's not what my PFN mocks are showing" lol

One of my favorites was Tennessee offering 38 and their 1st and 2nd next year. I always get Barton/ Morgan or Murphy. Thanks for those picks next year Titans haha.

The thing this year is there appears to be a desperation on QBS
So Miami could get a better offer then recent if say Daniel's or Mccarthy somehow drop to 21.

QBS will always get yah a little more. I think
I got that trade once as well. It was too good to pass up.

First, I may have figured something out > Cris Koufmann is CK?
I have great respect for CK. Knowledgeable and even handed. Nonetheless, I disagree Grier or any GM unilaterally making draft picks against the desires of the HC. Grier doesn't make his board or make picks in a closet. NO chance. And no GM wants to be in a meeting with the owner and HC:
Mcd: Yes, Mr Ross, we played poorly, but remember, I, the coordinators, position coaches and scouts wanted Peyton Manning, but Mr. Grier, on his own, picked Iggy. How can I be held accountable for that pick?
Ross: OK, Cris, that's the same reason Gase and Flo gave and the outcomes are consistent. Explain to me how your pick was seen as better than the pick of the entire organization.
No chance. Anyone claiming a GM, by himself, makes draft picks is not understanding the dynamics.
Last year McD himself said that he wanted to draft Achane a round, maybe two early. It was clear that Achane was the guy he wanted in the draft. McD stated that Grier told him to wait, that they could get him later. The scenario laid out in that tweet was exactly as McD described.

Interesting that a trade from 21 to 29 happened twice because I think thats a strong possibility this year with the Lions needing a CB and having a pick I'd like to take, 73rd overall, which they got from Minnesota as part of the Hockenson trade. They've already traded their later third round pick to TB for Carlton Davis. With this Cam Sutton warrant and subsequent release, I think there back to needed a CB. I'd wait until we're on the clock to make that trade as I'd want to make sure I am not passing on someone I think is great but I am down with pick 73 to trade down 8 spots, otherwise.

Being that the Eagles are at 22, if someone wants their CB, they better come get him at 21. I'd be surprised if the Eagles didn't take a CB at 22. Packers also have a need but OT might be a bigger one. OT and CB are where I think GB will be looking but they might take their chances and not give up anything.

2019 – Jags traded from 21 to 29 for two 4th's
2022- Pats – traded from 21 to 29 for a 3rd and 4th
Imagine this-

Eagles trade up a spot to not get jumped for a cb, we then trade 22 for more picks to the next team wanting a cb

Last year McD himself said that he wanted to draft Achane a round, maybe two early. It was clear that Achane was the guy he wanted in the draft. McD stated that Grier told him to wait, that they could get him later. The scenario laid out in that tweet was exactly as McD described.

It's one thing to give advice . . . He should be available later ("could get him later"). It's another to say 'don't care what you want, it's MY draft.' Your post makes it sound like the former.
I'm not saying, and never have said Grier doesn't have input in the board or specific picks. I'm saying anyone thinking Grier, by himself and against all other voices, makes draft picks is not being realistic. Can you imagine how difficult it would be to get a new HC if previous HCs called up a candidate and said 'if you go to Miami, you have NO input in the draft.'
Or the posts making it sound like Grier identified a FA, negotiated, and signed him without involving the HC or coordinators. That doesn't happen either. No GM makes unilateral/dictatorial choices in the draft or FA.

Except, it almost never happens like that. Every other move down trade was for much less.
Depends on the team and circumstances. The Pats example I used had them going back eight spots which made sense for two picks coming their way. Baltimore in the same year went back three spots which explains why they just did a pick swap.

The Giants last year got a 5/6 to move one spot back. That makes sense too.

What happened prior to the last few seasons I’m not concerned about. New **** happens every year. If Miami can’t get a decent haul (3rd or 4th round), I’m okay with them staying.

Except, it almost never happens like that. Every other move down trade was for much less.
Check this mock out.

Green Bay trades up with Miami

• Packers receive: No. 21 overall, 2025 fourth-round pick
  • Dolphins receive: No. 25 overall, No. 91 overall
Of course they still have GB picking 91 in the mock but I like getting a 3rd rounder to move back. Losing a 4 next year isn’t ****ed bc of the comp picks they’ll be getting.

Back
Top Bottom