The dismantling of the 43 defense. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The dismantling of the 43 defense.

'98 Atlanta and '96/'01 New England ran the 4-3. I know NE was running the 3-4 in the beginning of the the 2001 season. But Belichick scrapped it and went to the 4-3 immediately after we destroyed them in Miami (which happened to be Tom Brady's first start at QB). '96 New England also ran a 4-3, with Willie McGinest lining up at DE. They might have run alot of zone blitz, I couldn't tell ya. But they lined up 4-3.

Atlanta didn't switch to the 3-4 until last season. They ran the 4-3 in '98.

Aside from the Steelers, the last team to reach the Super Bowl running a straight up 3-4 was Buffalo in the early 90s. Before that, the SB was dominated by 3-4 defenses in the 80s and into the 90s.

From 1980-1990, the only Super Bowl teams that didn't run the 3-4 were the '80 49ers, '82/'83/'87 Redskins, and the '85 Bears. THAT'S IT. The other 15 groups ran the 3-4. Plus, you have the '90-'93 Bills and the '90 Giants.

That said, there were a lot more teams running the 3-4 back then. In the 90s, Buffalo and Pittsburgh were the only teams running it.

Either way Jim Bates needs to mix things up on D because its obvious opposing offenses know exactly what were trying to do. And tackling, we need to learn how to tackle(except for Zach).

Originally posted by Disgustipate
No, the Tiger is 3 down linemen, 3 linebackers(Seau/Taylor/Thomas), and 5 defensive backs.

It's technically a "Nickel" package.

I've also seen the variation where we have Zach lining up in a down position on the right side (where JT usually is) with Arturo Freeman way up over the TE.

Originally posted by inFINSible

maybe I'm not using the right wording, my understnding of the tiger defense is that we have JT in an upright stance(4 LBs) and three down lineman....essentially a 3-4, right?:confused:

I know what it looks like. :D

The author of the article said it originated from the Dave's daze at the bears and the leftovers of the 46.

What you guys are grouping is a linebacker playing defensive end for the 34.

In the 46 a defensive end must be able to cover. JT is a defensive end.

Originally posted by ZOD

I know what it looks like. :D

The author of the article said it originated from the Dave's daze at the bears and the leftovers of the 46.

What you guys are grouping is a linebacker playing defensive end for the 34.

In the 46 a defensive end must be able to cover. JT is a defensive end.
I understand now. :up:...thanks.

Originally posted by Muck
I know NE was running the 3-4 in the beginning of the the 2001 season. But Belichick scrapped it and went to the 4-3 immediately after we destroyed them in Miami (which happened to be Tom Brady's first start at QB). '96 New England also ran a 4-3, with Willie McGinest lining up at DE. They might have run alot of zone blitz, I couldn't tell ya. But they lined up 4-3.

That's the point Muck. They are running a 43 alignment out of a 34 group. The personel is out on the field and the offense does not know where the attack is coming from. Hell, this year it was Vrabel playing the supposed DE the majority of the time. But they would mix it up and send Mcginest from the other side and Vrabel would drop back into coverage. Offensive lines don't know who is coming and it leaves at least one of them (Perry) standing there looking like a dumbass while their QB is slammed to his ***.
Now throw in Harrison coming in from the same side as Mcginest with Vrabel dropping back to play coverage and you've got one side stacked and it's disquised. They are still only rushing 5 and they get turnovers. Check the hit on Fiedler in December from Harrison not once but twice.

The 34 is essentially only referring to personel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by Disgustipate
No, the Tiger is 3 down linemen, 3 linebackers(Seau/Taylor/Thomas), and 5 defensive backs.

It's technically a "Nickel" package.

You are looking at personel, not assignments.

Since no one is making the defense of our 43, I guess I'll mention it ;) ....

The purpose for all attacks in the present NFL is to put pressure on the QB. It is assumed that all defensive alignments have their varying degrees of success in defending against the run, so the question is "how many to send after the QB?"

The logical answer to all of this is that we have 2 Defensive ends with double digit sacks and we are getting the pressure on the QB with the minimal front four.

Getting back to the original post-

It's become obvious to me that our middle linebacker has shown some wear late in the season.

I might even mention that the sack tally that the DE have recorded may equate to coverage sacks in the amount of time the QB is left standing. The breakdown comes when the coverage is not perfect.

I'm battling within myself. :lol:

As the Patriots enter the Superbowl and Philly is still hanging in there, I say........

Bump :lol:

Originally posted by ZOD
As the Patriots enter the Superbowl and Philly is still hanging in there, I say........

Bump :lol:

ZOD, how would you line up the fins in the 3-4? Would you convert JT to outside linebacker?

BTW, Philly and Carolina are base 4-3 teams.......

Originally posted by Section126

ZOD, how would you line up the fins in the 3-4? Would you convert JT to outside linebacker?

Nah, I'd cut him. :lol:

Doesnt Philly run the 4-3 and 46, not the 3-4?

Btw, sort of on topic..I switched the Dolphins to the 3-4 in Madden. Works real well for me.

When I started, I had Timbo at NT, Chester at LDE and Zgonina at RDE. Taylor was the LOLB, Zach LILB, Seau RILB, Greenwood ROLB.

Taylor works pretty good at OLB. He is a much, much, much, MUCH more effective pass rusher there then he was at RDE in Madden. If you do it, you might want to get rid of Chester or Zgonina, and get better pass rushers(Stroud is a good one).

I think you will see Eddie Moore at MLB this year. The reason is because he is a great coverage LB and when you have the lead he can play well and take the pounding off of Zach. He will also play for Seau at times. Moore will have a great effect on our D this year.

Was it a 3-4 the giants used all those years that lawrence taylor wreaked havoc on the NFL?

Now only to have LT!

But really with the cover guys we have, the 3-4 might be a good idea. All it takes is one missed read and you have a big play for the "D".

What is the drawback of the 3-4, is it as stout v the run?

Back
Top Bottom