The dismantling of the 43 defense. | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The dismantling of the 43 defense.

Zod,

Great posts.

Carolina runs the 4-3 and is successful. But, they have very good sized, powerful, and quick DE's. Peppers goes about 285 which is big for a DE - but he still gets a pass rush. They've got the right personnel.

Also they have a big, strong MLB who holds up well - but, he's not that fast. Ray Lewis is the perfect 4-3 MLB b/c he's strong, powerful AND quick. However, he is also a rarity.

What I like about the Patriots system is that they can do so much with it. It's flexible. Our problem is that the system we run is just not very flexible. When push comes to shove - Wanny and Bates will go with the base defense. They are afraid (in part b/c they don't know what to do with their blitzes) to put a wrinkle in. The Pats, oth, are able to do whatever they like without fear b/c they DO know what they are doing and the players believe in it.

However, the Pats can be beaten by a good running team with a strong OL - that also has balance. I think they'll beat the Panthers, but that system is ideal for the Pats D - since, other than Seymour and Washington - they are a bit small. That can hurt them. Even the Colts were able to run effectively with Mungro - they never should have taken him out for James.

What I really wish, and I think we do have the players for it, is that Bates had more ingenuity on his blitzes. When you watch the Patriots, they DICTATE to the offense, rather than read and react. You never know where they are coming from - you'll see a 3-4, then a 4-3 and you'll see them overloaded on different sides all the time - and even when they are overloaded, they run tricks out of that and their players have been TAUGHT how to do a simple cross and make it work -

Our players do not do that effectively and our blitzes are not effective.

Great research.

Da fins good point man.

How much easier is it to play "d" when you know what you are giving up ona particular play. It is not like the opponent has too much time to finad other options. They basically force you to make the "right,quick" decision or a spectacular play. Both of which are rare for the Pats opponents. But also like you say, a really good O-line will take care of that too. An extra second against a 6 man rush and most good QB's would eb able to get a big gain out of it.
Problem is WE need to do soemthing about our O-line to take advantage of these blitzes.

Originally posted by Da 'Fins
Zod,

Great posts.

Carolina runs the 4-3 and is successful. But, they have very good sized, powerful, and quick DE's. Peppers goes about 285 which is big for a DE - but he still gets a pass rush. They've got the right personnel.

Also they have a big, strong MLB who holds up well - but, he's not that fast. Ray Lewis is the perfect 4-3 MLB b/c he's strong, powerful AND quick. However, he is also a rarity.

What I like about the Patriots system is that they can do so much with it. It's flexible. Our problem is that the system we run is just not very flexible. When push comes to shove - Wanny and Bates will go with the base defense. They are afraid (in part b/c they don't know what to do with their blitzes) to put a wrinkle in. The Pats, oth, are able to do whatever they like without fear b/c they DO know what they are doing and the players believe in it.

However, the Pats can be beaten by a good running team with a strong OL - that also has balance. I think they'll beat the Panthers, but that system is ideal for the Pats D - since, other than Seymour and Washington - they are a bit small. That can hurt them. Even the Colts were able to run effectively with Mungro - they never should have taken him out for James.

What I really wish, and I think we do have the players for it, is that Bates had more ingenuity on his blitzes. When you watch the Patriots, they DICTATE to the offense, rather than read and react. You never know where they are coming from - you'll see a 3-4, then a 4-3 and you'll see them overloaded on different sides all the time - and even when they are overloaded, they run tricks out of that and their players have been TAUGHT how to do a simple cross and make it work -

Great research.

Hear hear. I'd like to see Bates and Co. take some pointers from some teams with defenses that don't lose all their steam at the end of the season.

Right except for the MLB point. Dan Morgan is considered undersized.

Originally posted by Da 'Fins
Zod,

Great posts.

Great research.

What it really amounts to is "how many of my guys will it take to pressure the QB?". I think our DE's sacks should be chalked up in halves to the DB's and DE's.

There is a hole within every front New England has shown this year. Peyton Manning has played the Patriots close this year. I think one of the reasons why he had success earlier this year was that he was allowed to audible at the line..

Consider this...

If you were coaching in the NFL and you knew most of the league no longer allowed the QB to audible-would you put a predictable defense in front of them?

Originally posted by Jaj

Carolina has had it's fair share of success and LUCK......

Their defense leaves one safety for help and more times than normal none. They bring the house.

What amazed me about the Carolina vs. Dallas game was that they essentially had the same game plans on defense. Dallas looked nothing like the team that attempted to cover our (Miami) receivers. The majority of the game Dallas played a cover 2 scheme against the Dolphins and we killed them. Against Carolina in the wildcard Dallas played cover 1 as the standard. Carolina played a cover 1 against the Dallas offense.

What's so crazy about John Fox and the Panthers is they'll go Cover 0 and not think twice about it. :eek:

Pressure on the QB............:rocker:

Originally posted by Jaj

6-2, 245 seems about right to me. Unless you consider Ray Lewis undersized. :)

Just fyi...

Oakland is rumored to be switching back to a 3-4 defense next season.

Originally posted by Jaj
Muck he is 233 not 245.

Actually, the NFL site has him at 245. I think the 233 (listed on ESPN) was his weight coming into the league - but he's always had the frame to be bigger and when you see him, at 6-2, he doesn't look 233. He's a pretty big dude. See below:

Dan Morgan

Back
Top Bottom