The dolphins are moving backwards. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The dolphins are moving backwards.

musk

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Miami, FL going to school in Champaign, IL
these offseason team moves are quite possibly the worst things i have ever seen from a team (besides the cardinals). forget about marino. he would have done a good job but he has a nice life now making 7 figures being on tv and has time for his kids. if it makes him happy it makes me happy.

lets start with coaching. Why did we let norv turner leave? he would have been a perfect predecessor when wandstat leaves. (im sorry but the dolphins will not suceed as we all hope they will w/ this current roster). im sure we didnt have much in the matter but it would have been nice to have tried to keep him. now bernie parmalee is the new rb coach. the guy had his moments when he played but in no way did it make him a good rb. i know hes there for the rookies and 3rd stringers but come ON. BERNIE PARMALEE! is he going to tell them how to deliver a package ontime?

now to the great quarterback situation that is the miami dolphins. yes, i know that we live in the past as dolphin fans and no one will ever amount to marino. fiedler is a great competetor. id love to keep him as a 2nd string once we find a solid started. i respect him because of all the fire he takes from the local media and fans. but brunell is NOT the answer folks. 6-13 in the last 2 seasons, lost his job to a rookie, and is 33 which means he as at most 2 years left. i'll admit i thought warner was the answer but after reading posts and thinking about it i will agree w/ the forum that he is not. he too is past his prime and should be pleased to stay in st louis. gresie was a bust obviously. so what do i suggest we do (and of course this is just my opinion)? trade up in the draft. grab a good qb (there are pleny this year. eli and philip rivers amoung some) and build him. keep fiedler for a year or 2 more and let the rookie develop. we are not going to get anything in the free agency market so the dolphins should stop looking for a bandaid to put on the shark bite that is the qb situation.

and last but not least the offensive line needs to be improved. we need run blockers for ricky. it is obvious that we will run ricky but we cannot run efficiently anymore. this is where we test the free agency market or make some trades. the defense is solid as everyone will agree. but the offense needs work and where else could we start but at the o-line.

i believe this is a competent argument. i have been a dolphins fan ever since i've understood the game of football. i want them to suceed just as much as anyone on this forum. but they are working in the wrong direction. wandstat was the problem when he had gm roles. but now he doesnt. so its up to the new gm to make it happen. and if he does, and wandstat cannot produce (even though i can make valid arguments that he has produced in the past 2 years) then its time for him to go.

Worst offseason moves ever?? It's the first week of February. There's A LOT of time left in the offseason.

Why did we let Norv leave?? Because you never stand in the way of a coach getting a head coaching job. That's just the way it is. You never hold one of your coaches down from getting the ultimate gig. Even if Norv was going to New York on New England, you still happily let him interview. Even still, Norv as a head coach doesn't exactly make my toes tingle.

Finally, before you condemn the team's 2004 offseason (and regular season....in early February), lets wait and see what happens first. :)

agreed it is early. and the dolphins recently have done well in the draft. i do understand about norv leaving but i have to be somewhat upset because i was hoping he would take over the dolphins eventually =/ .

even though it is early the talks they are having are just horrible. going after 2 washed up qbs (warner and brunell). henson is a plus side but he will need a lot of work. i am not sure but was he on the texans for the 03-04 season or was he playing baseball?

i am SHOCKED to see all the pro-brunell stuff on this site. (ie: the poll on the homepage where the leaving vote getter is trade trade fiedler and get brunell). hey, at least fiedler has a winning record in his last 2 seasons and didnt lost his job to a rookie. i almost puked when i saw that. and nice picture as your signature. my vote is for rivers but i would be happy w/ either.

Enough with coach blashing, we've had Shula, Jimmy Johnson, and now Wanny and of the 3, Wanny's been closer in the last 10 years in getting us a champion. That's saying alot, but it says that it's not the coaches, we've had 2 of the best and didn't win the SB. It comes back to players in my mind. This is where we need to do a better job. The new coaches may add favor that we've been missing the last 2 years, but it's players that ultimately get it done on the play. I stated last year that it's heart that been lacking, we need an emotional leader on both sides of the ball. We haven't had that. Except for Randy...We need a couple more of them like him. But this is the NFL, anything can happen..

uhm. did you read the whole post? most of it was the personel. and wandstat has done well. HOWEVER he did not get the personel we needed in the last 2 years. and that was part of his job. now he has lost that part since he has failed. did he think he could just get ricky and stop? what happened to the upgrades the o-line needed? what happened to maybe getting a few better recievers? what happened to maybe looking for a quarterback?

wandstat has had 2 no playoff seasons of which both are not his fault for missing the playoffs (totally). 1st he went 9-6. ray lucas' stunning what 1-4 performance just distroyed that season. (again, who was in charge of personel) so that season is not wand's fault. this season the AFC was stacked. and the nfl champion happned to be in our devision. again, not wand.'s fault. but, excuses can only get you so far in this league. if we have 3 straight no playoff seasons or just get embaressed (sp) in the first round (which has been the recent style of the fins) then i will find it hard to support him much longer.

and who is not to say that coachs dont make a big difference. i have to examples: Parcells and Lewis. both lead their previous losing teams to playoffs and playoff contention. but coaches don't make a big difference right?

and shula was getting into retirement. not many coaches leave the game on top. he was tired and just didn't have it in him anymore. great in his time (70's and 80's) but just got old.

Well I for one agreed with just about everything you said. The only exception would be concerning Rivers. I'm from NC and although I have not seen EVERY game like some people on this site say they have, Rivers takes a lot of plays off. He makes good plays but they are mixed in with a BUNCH of horrible plays. All you see is the highlights and he looks awesome, but if ya watch the whole game he is not a down and distance QB. He has faith in his arm and figures 3rd and 10s are fine with him. That won't work in the NFL.
As for Brunell I couldn't agree more. I thought I was the only one on here who thought JF is still much better than Brunell. I think we need a upgrade at QB but not a change unless it is a upgrade. If we can get Henson, Manning, or the guy from Miami OH then great but not some washed up over the hill one year bandaid. They will have their shortcomings just as JF does.
Nobody is going to come in and flourish behind the OL we have unless it is a guy like Vick, so that is where we need to start. But start is what we need to do b/c this team is not on the same playing field with the Pats. This team plays above their heads for the first part of the year and then when other teams turn it on we are out of gas.
As for Wanny, I know he has won some games that he should not have won, but he does not have the ability to make in game changes that change the out come of the game. This combined with his overly conservative offense play calling make me believe he is not the coach that wins game. He rather tries in the clutch not to lose them.
This is not a playoff team next year. We had a much better chance last year and a slighty better chance this year. I agree we are heading in the wrong direction. We will get worse before we get better. This opinion does not make me a Dolphin hater just a fan who sees things the way they are.

Originally posted by musk
i am SHOCKED to see all the pro-brunell stuff on this site. (ie: the poll on the homepage where the leaving vote getter is trade trade fiedler and get brunell). hey, at least fiedler has a winning record in his last 2 seasons and didnt lost his job to a rookie. i almost puked when i saw that. and nice picture as your signature. my vote is for rivers but i would be happy w/ either.

If you can hear WQAM, you'll get even more of it. Brunell has the arm, the legs, and the ability. And he wasn't pulled in favor of Leftwich. He suffered an injury to his elbow. And it was a hinderence during the season. So the Jags decided....with that young team....to give their young gun a head start.

You can't judge a QB soley on their W/L record. In 15 seasons, Archie Manning never played on a team with a winning record. But he was one of the best QBs you'll ever see. He just had no talent around him.

You can argue the same for Brunell. The talent level around him simply fell off after the 1999 season. But you look at that 2002 season and you see that he threw 17 TDs and only 7 INTs in 416 attempts. That's one INT every 59 attempts.

That same year, Jay Fiedler threw two more INTs in 158 less attempts.

Originally posted by MDFINFAN
Enough with coach blashing, we've had Shula, Jimmy Johnson, and now Wanny and of the 3, Wanny's been closer in the last 10 years in getting us a champion. That's saying alot, but it says that it's not the coaches, we've had 2 of the best and didn't win the SB. It comes back to players in my mind. This is where we need to do a better job. The new coaches may add favor that we've been missing the last 2 years, but it's players that ultimately get it done on the play. I stated last year that it's heart that been lacking, we need an emotional leader on both sides of the ball. We haven't had that. Except for Randy...We need a couple more of them like him. But this is the NFL, anything can happen..

I couldn't disagree more. Your going to tell me the Pats have more talent than anyone in the league?? They are in the bottom half of the league if you add in the injuries during the year.
I would rather have the Pats coach than the Falcons QB.

FINALLY SOMEONE WITH SOME FOOTBALL KNOWLADGE! everywhere on this site i see praise for brunell. i couldnt believe my eyes and almost puked. but you have saved me.

your rivers comments are very interesting. i have not seen all of his games. i have seen bits and pieces and all i see is his stat line at the end. they are always impressive. and he always has like 300-400 yards passing. which coinsides with what you just said about his faith in his arm.

wanny is not a playoff caliber coach. he plays not to lose. instead of playing to win. that is why he wont have a long life here in miami just like in chicago (i now go to school 2hrs south of chicago and none of their fans liked him).

if the team heads in the same direction they are going now (ie: horrible offseason decisions regardless of how early) then in 2 or 3 years ricky will want out. he has 5 good years left. as a power back and the amount of carries he gets a season his body can only take so much more. and he does not want to sit on a team that is not making the best moves possible. not many guys are built w/ the heart that marino has. that is just my prediction.

on a side note: did you read that zach thomas agreed to have his salary garunteed in order to save the team money. he wants to help the team rather than be greedy. did i say how much i loved him?

It's not about who has the most talent in the league. It's a mixture of coaching and talent. But the point MD is making is that we ARE NOT talented enough n the offensive side of the ball. We have four good players on offense, followed by 7 average or below players. That just doesn't cut it. Name one offensive lineman on our team who is flat out better than any of New England's five starters.

New England isn't THE most talented team. But you'd better believe that they're one of them. Much better than offensively. Their offensive line is excellent (and their best lineman didn't even play in the SB). Brady is among the elite. And their WRs do their jobs and get wide open.

Defensively, Ted Washington and Richard Seymour could easily start for us. So could Rosy Colvin (who didn't play very much this year). Bruschi played great all year.

Ty Law and Rodney Harrison sure looked as good or better than what we had back there. And Tyrone Poole could have subbed for Madison.

As I've stated before, I feel that mental toughness and leadership are also talents. And New England is as talented as their is in that department.

What seperates the Patriots from the rest of the league is the belief in the concept of "team". They are about as good as it's ever been in that department. That's part coaching

talent around him? you cant blame the losing record on him?

all good points. HOWEVER that is negating the fact that he LOST HIS JOB TO A ROOKIE. do you think that if brady had a small elbow injury he would be benched the whole season? or elway or vick? want to talk about surrounded by talent? the falcons were a good team last year w/ vick. w/o vick they were horrible. what does that tell you about the talent around vick? that it was so good that it could survive w/o him? no. but they were still a good team w/ vick. so why can we say a team is good because of their qb but we cannot say that they are bad because of their qb? and again ncfan makes a GREAT point w/ the pats refrence.

ncfan, welcome to my buddy list. my first and what seems like (with the posts im reading) my only.

No he didn't. He got injured and they were having a bum season so they said let's start Leftwich.

Originally posted by musk
FINALLY SOMEONE WITH SOME FOOTBALL KNOWLADGE! everywhere on this site i see praise for brunell. i couldnt believe my eyes and almost puked. but you have saved me.

Wow, that's quite a way to make an impression. So anyone who disagrees with you "lacks football knowledge" and/or "makes you almost puke"??

I hope some of that omnipotence rubs off on me one day.

muck, you are straying from your previous post on why brunell would make a good qb. i dont mean to team up on you but so far you have not really made a good case for him. you have said the patriots have good talent and good coaching. is that to say that jack del rio is not a good coach? he is going to mold leftwhich into a great qb and we saw signs of that little by little towards the end of the season.

the pats do not have the greatest talent in the league. their qb is, im sorry, a little overratted. not a lot but just a tad. hes a good qb, dont get me wrong. and in a few seasons he will be concidered one of the greatest. but the publicity he is recieving now i would give more to the new england coaching staff for their gameplans every week.

it is obvious that the patriots main talent is on the defense w/ the exception of brady. name a pro bowler on the offense besides brady. you cant. same thing w/ the dolphins.

Back
Top Bottom