The dolphins are moving backwards. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The dolphins are moving backwards.

Originally posted by musk
talent around him? you cant blame the losing record on him?

all good points. HOWEVER that is negating the fact that he LOST HIS JOB TO A ROOKIE. do you think that if brady had a small elbow injury he would be benched the whole season? or elway or vick? want to talk about surrounded by talent? the falcons were a good team last year w/ vick. w/o vick they were horrible. what does that tell you about the talent around vick? that it was so good that it could survive w/o him? no. but they were still a good team w/ vick. so why can we say a team is good because of their qb but we cannot say that they are bad because of their qb? and again ncfan makes a GREAT point w/ the pats refrence.

ncfan, welcome to my buddy list. my first and what seems like (with the posts im reading) my only.

I think you should re-read my post. The one where I explained the Jags 2004 QB situation. Would have saved you 5 minutes of typing. :)

alright jaj, you are having a bum season after 3 loses? because thats all the games he played in 03. if thats the case then are we having a super season every time the dolphins win the first 3 games?

and no, everyone that disagree's w/ me is not stupid. ncfan disagreed w/ the philip rivers comment i made and he backed it up w/ facts. i know the facts on brunell and i know the facts on warner. i also have very strong opinions that are backed up by good facts on what the dolphins need. i am in no way a professional and i am in no way stating that "this is what they need and if they dont get exactly this the season will be a bust". what i am saying is that they are looking in the wrong direction and everyone on this site seems to think otherwise. i in no way believe i am the almighty in football knowlege.

what i am saying is that they are looking in the wrong direction and everyone on this site seems to think otherwise.
I wonder why..........

i in no way believe i am the almighty in football knowlege.

I hope not.

i know there are salary cap issues. 17 million dollars worth. but is that a reason to trade for sub-par players and work backwards in talent.

its no secret that the dolphins know what they need. i know that. but its one thing to know and one thing to do the right thing. trading for washed up players is the backwards mentality the dolphins exibited when they brought in jay fiedler who was a backup at jacksonville and griese who was run out of denver and gave him a salary of a starting qb.

I read the opening part of this thread and it was enough.

A). This off-season has been fine. Sullivan is going to make a big difference with our WR. He's helped Boston and Boldin become stars early. Tressman makes a great QB coach. So thats 2 OC now on the staff. Joel Collier is everything I want in an OC. He actually understand you need a system for the players/talent you have. Norv had 1 system, and it blew ***. Unless he has an offense full of play makers his offense is garbage. The only reason he got the job was to groom a young QB. He'll be gone in 2 years and no one will care.

B). Firstly, Your Bernie Parmalee joke sucked. Secondly Bernie was a very good RB. When he carried he always had positive yards. Considering he had a pass blocking line, he was awesome. Not to mention he was an awesome special teams player. He wouldn't be a coach if he sucked.

C). Your QB take is accurate though. Brunell is old and bad. Fiedler has never had talent around him, so no one can say anything until he does. He's injured every season because of a bad line. Give him some weapons...

D). Like Muck said, it's February. There is no response to that. Is there a lot of work to be done? Yes, but this off-season has been pretty good. Marino being hired/resigning won't matter because he was a figurehead anyway.

If the Marino hire never took place, people wouldn't be saying anything bad about the off-season. It didn't matter then, It doesn't matter now. The team is fine.

...forget about marino. he would have done a good job...

Frankly, we really don't know that he would have. He has zero front office experience and just because he was a great player it by no way guarantees that it would translate into front office success. They are two totally different worlds.

...now bernie parmalee is the new rb coach. the guy had his moments when he played but in no way did it make him a good rb. i know hes there for the rookies and 3rd stringers but come ON. BERNIE PARMALEE! is he going to tell them how to deliver a package ontime?...

You're way off base here. Some of the best coaches were not the best players in the league. Ever hear of a guy named Don Shula. Not trying to say that Bernie will be as great as Shula, just that you should give the guy a chance. He has NFL experience and for a guy who didn't possess the most talent he made use of what he had.

...now to the great quarterback situation that is the miami dolphins. yes, i know that we live in the past as dolphin fans and no one will ever amount to marino. fiedler is a great competetor. id love to keep him as a 2nd string once we find a solid started. i respect him because of all the fire he takes from the local media and fans. but brunell is NOT the answer folks. 6-13 in the last 2 seasons, lost his job to a rookie, and is 33 which means he as at most 2 years left....

Feidler is a great competitor, however, he has the accuracy of a blind dart thrower with carpal tunnel syndrome. One more season with him, even as a backup that might have to play more than one game, means one more losing season so i'll take my chances with somebody else. The Jags record has little to do with Brunell. This is a team sport and the Jags as a team are lacking at best. Feildler's record is good because our defense was good and other guys like chambers and ricky bailed him out

...so what do i suggest we do (and of course this is just my opinion)? trade up in the draft. grab a good qb (there are pleny this year. eli and philip rivers amoung some) and build him. keep fiedler for a year or 2 more and let the rookie develop. we are not going to get anything in the free agency market so the dolphins should stop looking for a bandaid to put on the shark bite that is the qb situation...

Fine. Keep in mind though that 1st round QB means we're missing out on young, talented and less expensive OL and WR's that are just as important to the sucess of this team. Also, remember that the Panthers and Pats started QB's that were far from 1st rounders.

...and last but not least the offensive line needs to be improved. we need run blockers for ricky. it is obvious that we will run ricky but we cannot run efficiently anymore. this is where we test the free agency market or make some trades. the defense is solid as everyone will agree. but the offense needs work and where else could we start but at the o-line....

O-line, I agree. Defense, sort of. they are solid but not spectacular. They beat up on lousy offenses and struggle against solid ones like the Eagles and the Colts. I can't quite figure them out. Might be the scheme, might be that we think they are better than what they really are, I just don't know.

As far as you argument being solid, well not so sure about that either. we'll see how this all turns out. :)

no no no. marino's situation is fine. that has nothing to do with the dolphins persuing brunell.

i will admit i am not up to snuff on the coaching staff. i only know very basic info on the coaching staff. like wand didnt do crap in chicago and norv is a solid head coach. who is parmalee there to coach? ricky williams? a hiesman winner? the nfl leading rusher in 03? or travis minor who is another solid back. parmalee never did anything in his seasons worth noteriety. that is why his life as a rb for the dolphins was not very long. (a few years?) if he is a great special teams player then have him on the special teams staff. but who cares, the running back position is not one many coaches can make a impact on just because ricky is a powerhouse. disagree?

yeah its early. but these early moves still effect the upcomming season. "oh so we traded for a horrible qb but it was in febuary so its fine because there is still a lot of the offseason left". regardless of how early it is, the moves made now are still just as important. and the fact that the dolphins are even concidering brunell gives a little hint to the type of mentality they have for this offseason.

Brunnell is the best QB available in free agency..........PERIOD.

Find ONE that's better.

Originally posted by Section126
Brunnell is one year older than Fiedler........how come nobody calls Fiedler old?

Brunell ages in dog years obviously (which makes him 231 years old)...

The difference in age is not much. But Brunell has played 11 years (started 10 years) and Fiedler has played 8 years, and only started 4 years).

Brunell is older in NFL years (similar to dog years).

Originally posted by Section126
Brunnell is one year older than Fiedler........how come nobody calls Fiedler old?

I do. If Fiedler was 5-years younger I would want him be around. But he's not going to get any better, he's too old to get any better. He had his chance.

Oliver...

muck, you are straying from your previous post on why brunell would make a good qb. i dont mean to team up on you but so far you have not really made a good case for him. you have said the patriots have good talent and good coaching. is that to say that jack del rio is not a good coach? he is going to mold leftwhich into a great qb and we saw signs of that little by little towards the end of the season.

You can't team up on me by yourself. That requires more than one person. ;)

I don't have to make a great case for him because it's been made for weeks and weeks on this site. You claim to have been reading, so I'm sure you've seen it.

However, I have not strayed. I have brought physical ability and stats to the table, while you have brought up won/loss records. I have countered that with the won/loss record of an outstanding QB who never had a winning season in 15 years, disproving your W/L assertion.

On the contrary, I feel you have not proven why Brunell would be such a bad choice, aside from false information and W/L records. Tell me why he would not be an upgrade to what we have now.

I made no mention of Jack del Rio or his coaching staff. I couldn't tell you whether or not he's a standout coach because he's only coached one season. I think he'll do pretty well.

But to call him a good coach or a bad coach is not of any relevence here. The point I'm making is in regards to talent. And the Jaguars are not an overly talented team right now. Since you have asserted that he is indeed a good coach, that must mean that the Jags aren't that talented yet. Am I right??

the pats do not have the greatest talent in the league. their qb is, im sorry, a little overratted. not a lot but just a tad. hes a good qb, dont get me wrong. and in a few seasons he will be concidered one of the greatest. but the publicity he is recieving now i would give more to the new england coaching staff for their gameplans every week.

it is obvious that the patriots main talent is on the defense w/ the exception of brady. name a pro bowler on the offense besides brady. you cant. same thing w/ the dolphins.

While I disagree that Brady is overrated, I agree that some media folks are REALLY jumping the gun when they place him among the all time greats.

I find it interesting that you bring up the Pro Bowl. The same entity that left Ladanian Tomlinson out in the cold this year, despite 1600+ yards and 101 receptions.

As I have stated on this site numerous times, the Pro Bowl carries no weight with me. It's a popularity contest, plain and simple. If it weren't, Damien Woody would be there. He is a dominant guard in this league. And again, I ask you to name one player on our OL who is flat out better than anyone on theirs.

I also submit to you this.......

Carolina has arguably the best defensive line in the NFL. Surely they would fair well against New England's Pro Bowl-less offensive line. So why did Carolina's DL get so thoroughly dominated on Sunday?? How come they were completely worn out in the fourth quarter?? How come Tom Brady was largely untouched throughout the game??

Again, it's not about having the absolute most talent. It's about having talented players who step up when the stakes are high and believe in the team concept....combined with leaders on both sides of the ball.

Originally posted by Fisticuff

Brunell ages in dog years obviously (which makes him 231 years old)...

The difference in age is not much. But Brunell has played 11 years (started 10 years) and Fiedler has played 8 years, and only started 4 years).

Brunell is older in NFL years (similar to dog years).

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Back
Top Bottom