The Dolphins spend time with Hurricanes’ prospects this week. Experts had this to say | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Dolphins spend time with Hurricanes’ prospects this week. Experts had this to say

If we do lose Landry, then this guy BERRIOS I would draft, even if we draft him higher than expected. He is a leader. A great slot, and special teamer. DO IT.

How high do you draft a player with 1 year production?

Last two drafts have been good. Not excellent or anything, but still early to make a final verdict on them. Need a third just like those 2.
They could turn out to be excellent if at least 2 of those players reaches elite status. At this point Howard stands out with that kind of potential. We don't know about RM yet but he's a good prospect. The drafts have been solid but need some stars. I agree is still too early to tell but there is potential there.

Ozzy rules!!

Is everyone forgetting Notre Dame's TE?
I'm not. He had a great week of practice. Was catching everything on the drills and beating every defender. I couldn't want the game but saw that he did pretty good there too

Ozzy rules!!

Durham Smythe. He's got tons of tape as a blocker. He'll be there for our first fourth. If we don't get a blocker before the draft, he'd be in the mix.

Man its still so early and why do I already get the feeling I will be disappointed come draft day.

Although I have to admit I wasn’t a fan of he Drake and Grant picks especially in the same draft but they are contributing.
I know that no matter what the FO does not everyone will be happy. I've been wanting us to draft a TE like Goedert for so long. You watch his tape and see him making one handed catches and beating guys for the ball. I'm not saying he'll be the next Gronk but he reminds me of him. Who knows, maybe I'm totally wrong about him but I'll say this. It's not often I say that a player will be much better than people think. The only time I said that before was Ajayi. I really wanted us to draft him and now I really want us to draft this TE

Ozzy rules!!

I'm not. He had a great week of practice. Was catching everything on the drills and beating every defender. I couldn't want the game but saw that he did pretty good there too

Ozzy rules!!

When do you recall the last time a Miami TE abused the defense?

He looked good ;)

Kieth Jackson and a couple of games for Charles clay

Dolphins staying away from Hurricanes players has always been a puzzler for me...
That is not uncommon in the NFL. Very often NFL teams shy away from hometown guys, so if they grew up near there or went to college near there, they avoid them. Why you ask?

Because the NFL is hard enough when you have a fully motivated young man focusing on his new environment and new team. When he is fully committed to the new social group of the team, it makes things a lot easier. But, when he brings a posse of old friends, hangers on, distractions, and bad influences, teams often run into problems with those young men who now have lots of money and lots of influences that may not be aligned with the team ethos. As a result, teams prefer complete transplants.

That's why you'll see Miami draft more guys from Florida than Miami. Sure, there are exceptions. For instance, we were all-in on Jimmy Graham, because the local coaching staff allowed us great access and scouting, and we thought we'd snag a hidden gem. Unfortunately, New Orleans realized this too and made a pre-emptive strike before we thought we could scoop him up. So, when we felt the same way about Olivier Vernon and Lamar Miller, we pulled the trigger earlier. But each of those guys were very well-adjusted kids with very little baggage. That is uncommon in collegiate athletics. And, most personnel people will shy away even if they find no red flags, simply because they don't want to be wrong.

Plus, local fans over-value their local players, to the point where there is a major backlash against the GM/scouts/front office in general when they do not play them, or do not pay them, or let them walk, or trade them. This backlash has zero positive upside and a huge negative downside ... so most GM's avoid the situation entirely.

When players of similar value are on the board, rest assured we're not taking the guy who is local .... and neither is any other team. Only when the value is distinctly different, or the owner has pushed specifically to get local players do we see those guys drafted. Just the reality faced by GM's and front office types.

Personally I believe in talking to as many local guys as possible. Particularly guys that went to non power 5 schools but stills caught the eye of area scouts. Rarely do lower level schools have a adequate strength and conditioning to develop a player to his potential.
The question becomes is this player worth a roster spot, can he block out the noise, and put in the work.

Back
Top Bottom