The Dolphins spend time with Hurricanes’ prospects this week. Experts had this to say | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Dolphins spend time with Hurricanes’ prospects this week. Experts had this to say

I've seen a ton of Berrios. I really love this kid. He has very good quicks to get in and out of breaks, good hands, slot receiver, returns kicks and was a top student. He's a lot like Wes Welker imo.

Is everyone forgetting Notre Dame's TE?

Not interested. Smythe flunked the basic measurement data threshold from the Draft Cobern guy, who does a ton of sophisticated analysis based on NFL success at each position, going back as far as 1969. Cobern also understands the value of age in the scouting process, which is the first thing that drew my attention to him. So many of the subjective scouts try to pretend that doesn't matter.

I wouldn't try to force a tight end in the high rounds this year. It has always looked like a poor crop but per norm in the late going the big picture logic is thrown away in favor of exceptions. Meanwhile the Draft Cobern numbers reject one Senior Bowl tight end after another. It was by far the worst position in terms of guys who flat out don't fit the profile, and many of them are the higher rated guys.

Berrios was the only Senior Bowl wide receiver who flunked the profile. I don't disagree with that. He is a fan favorite and had a big senior season when the Canes really needed it due to injuries at the position, but he lacks elite quickness for a slot guy and his hands aren't great either.

I do like Herndon in the later rounds. I don't mind the Ronnie Brown comparison in terms of frame and style. It may not be perfect but there has always been something unique about Herndon's frame and style of running, kind of a cross between tight end and running back. He can be quite difficult to bring down and sometimes surprises the defender in that regard.

Another late round value at tight end might be Yelder of Western Kentucky. He was one of the few tight ends who managed not to flunk the measurement threshold at the Senior Bowl. Late bloomer who slowly transformed his body from receiver to tight end. He sat behind guys who now play in the NFL. Excellent athlete. I remember when he leaped to block a tying extra point that saved the game and a wager for me. Yelder also had a nice touchdown grab in tight quarters during the Senior Bowl game. As soon as he caught it I was thinking most of the tight ends in this crop would have flubbed that play.

https://draftcobern.wordpress.com/2018/01/23/senior-bowl-measurement-analysis-spreadsheet/

Herndon is definitely a sleeper at TE.

He is a guy that may of flown up the boards with a good combine. Miami threw all those bubble screens to him with Rosier, and in 2016 with Njoku on the team, you really didn't get to see him show any real seam threat ability . . . But he has the athletic build to give you some of that.

Not to mention he can block day 1 without being a liability.

If there is a Cane you roll the dice on day 3 . . . Its this kid.

I also like Walton . . . Such great vision, good hands and good speed. Real good fit for this offense. If medical drops him to day 3, would love adding him.

Not interested. Smythe flunked the basic measurement data threshold from the Draft Cobern guy, who does a ton of sophisticated analysis based on NFL success at each position, going back as far as 1969. Cobern also understands the value of age in the scouting process, which is the first thing that drew my attention to him. So many of the subjective scouts try to pretend that doesn't matter.

I wouldn't try to force a tight end in the high rounds this year. It has always looked like a poor crop but per norm in the late going the big picture logic is thrown away in favor of exceptions. Meanwhile the Draft Cobern numbers reject one Senior Bowl tight end after another. It was by far the worst position in terms of guys who flat out don't fit the profile, and many of them are the higher rated guys.

Berrios was the only Senior Bowl wide receiver who flunked the profile. I don't disagree with that. He is a fan favorite and had a big senior season when the Canes really needed it due to injuries at the position, but he lacks elite quickness for a slot guy and his hands aren't great either.

I do like Herndon in the later rounds. I don't mind the Ronnie Brown comparison in terms of frame and style. It may not be perfect but there has always been something unique about Herndon's frame and style of running, kind of a cross between tight end and running back. He can be quite difficult to bring down and sometimes surprises the defender in that regard.

Another late round value at tight end might be Yelder of Western Kentucky. He was one of the few tight ends who managed not to flunk the measurement threshold at the Senior Bowl. Late bloomer who slowly transformed his body from receiver to tight end. He sat behind guys who now play in the NFL. Excellent athlete. I remember when he leaped to block a tying extra point that saved the game and a wager for me. Yelder also had a nice touchdown grab in tight quarters during the Senior Bowl game. As soon as he caught it I was thinking most of the tight ends in this crop would have flubbed that play.

https://draftcobern.wordpress.com/2018/01/23/senior-bowl-measurement-analysis-spreadsheet/

Love the info Awsi, I would only look at Smythe in the later rounds. He normally wouldn't interest me but it seemed he made a couple crucial plays in the Seen Yore Bowl.

I'm surprised about Berrios' hands - I only recall perhaps 3 catches he "should" have made, otherwise I marveled at his ability to come down with some bad throws by Rozier. Also, Landry has been lambasted about his lack of speed (I agree, he's not fast), didn't realize Berrios was slow as well. He seems game quick.

Thanks again - fascinating!

Berrios couldn’t separate from anyone in that game

Hard pass

I think Smythe might make a solid blocking tight end they usually go top 4 rounds but it’s not gonna make much of a flex

The overaged stuff is interesting and something that I would be in the dark on just about all these players with

I saw someone said Sony Michel is overraged. Had no idea

Berrios couldn’t separate from anyone in that game

I saw someone said Sony Michel is overraged. Had no idea
Overraged or overrated??? I think he looks like a very good prospect and would look good in a Dolphin jersey.

The Fins need to draft LBs, TE, OGs, and QB to groom.
Best player available with the first pick.

That is not uncommon in the NFL. Very often NFL teams shy away from hometown guys, so if they grew up near there or went to college near there, they avoid them. Why you ask?

Because the NFL is hard enough when you have a fully motivated young man focusing on his new environment and new team. When he is fully committed to the new social group of the team, it makes things a lot easier. But, when he brings a posse of old friends, hangers on, distractions, and bad influences, teams often run into problems with those young men who now have lots of money and lots of influences that may not be aligned with the team ethos. As a result, teams prefer complete transplants.

That's why you'll see Miami draft more guys from Florida than Miami. Sure, there are exceptions. For instance, we were all-in on Jimmy Graham, because the local coaching staff allowed us great access and scouting, and we thought we'd snag a hidden gem. Unfortunately, New Orleans realized this too and made a pre-emptive strike before we thought we could scoop him up. So, when we felt the same way about Olivier Vernon and Lamar Miller, we pulled the trigger earlier. But each of those guys were very well-adjusted kids with very little baggage. That is uncommon in collegiate athletics. And, most personnel people will shy away even if they find no red flags, simply because they don't want to be wrong.

Plus, local fans over-value their local players, to the point where there is a major backlash against the GM/scouts/front office in general when they do not play them, or do not pay them, or let them walk, or trade them. This backlash has zero positive upside and a huge negative downside ... so most GM's avoid the situation entirely.

When players of similar value are on the board, rest assured we're not taking the guy who is local .... and neither is any other team. Only when the value is distinctly different, or the owner has pushed specifically to get local players do we see those guys drafted. Just the reality faced by GM's and front office types.
The Bucs have always gone after ref$u guys with a passion. I realize tampa and tally are 200 miles of 2-lane road apart, but I still think there is an affinity there. For some reason the Bucs want Florida homegrown players, like the Saints have always wanted Louisiana guys.

I have maintained for years that this team must draft with one eye on talent and the other on South Beach. There are talented players who would simply be radioactive in the South Florida environment. It started with Shula's travails over Don Reese and Darryl Carlton (and to some extent Randy Crowder) and continues. This team would be insane to bring in a Antonio Callaway, for example. Florida-bred players seem to bring the excess baggage.

The Dolphins have traditionally shied away from Gators, Canes and nulls by and large. And I believe rightfully so.

Some Dolphins nuggets and thoughts on a Friday:

▪ Among the players with whom the Dolphins met at the Senior Bowl this week, according to a source:

UM prospects Chad Thomas and Chris Herndon.

Thomas, a defensive end and potential mid-round pick, “put on a show and displayed powerful hands during one-on-ones,” ESPN said after his first practice. “It’s an important start for a player whose tape doesn’t always match his ability.”

NFL Network identified Thomas as one of the players “who made money this week.”

The Dolphins are in the market for a No. 4 defensive end and also another developmental prospect to challenge Cameron Malveaux, who they like.

Herndon, coming off a major knee injury in November, isn’t able to practice but interviewed with teams, including Miami — which is looking for a tight end.

Rest at the link-

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article196845619.html

Chad Thomas has some impressive practices during the Senior Bowl.

Back
Top Bottom