The Elite Discussion | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Elite Discussion

Pretty amazing that we have a head coach and a qb that are heading towards elite.

I've been waiting an awful long time for this.

Sucks that we had to waste a few qb development years with incompetence. We could have been on the cusp at 27 not 29

Last edited:
Pretty amazing that we have a head coach and a qb that are heading towards elite.

I've been waiting an awful long time for this.

Sucks that we had to waste a few qb development years with incompetence. We could have been on the cusp at 27 not 29

At least wait till midseason before issuing that kind of praise especially for Gase.

No reason we can't get top 8 qb play this year and even if tanny did play top 5 level the media would still down play it. Want to see at least a 5 point jump in the qbr although this should be in year 2 of the o and going forward where we yearly top 100.

No reason gase can't get into that top 5 of the head coach rankings either. After belichick no one else is really untouchable.

No reason we can't get top 8 qb play this year and even if tanny did play top 5 level the media would still down play it. Want to see at least a 5 point jump in the qbr although this should be in year 2 of the o and going forward where we yearly top 100.

No reason gase can't get into that top 5 of the head coach rankings either. After belichick no one else is really untouchable.

I don't see why the media would downplay top 5 level play. If Tannehill plays like a top 5 QB that would greatly increase our chances of making the playoffs despite the holes in our roster.

He played like a top 8 qb after week 5 last year and the media still to this day ranks him in the 20s and wonders if he is a franchise qb

Probably would have been better stated if I said won't get the credit he's due from the media.

And I decided I did not want to get involved in that other thread but when you start talking about a .10 3 cone time being the difference in if a guy can be a pro bowler or not considering that said player improved his vertical 5 and 1/2 inches from combine to pro day and sat on his 3 cone combine time I think you are overstating it.

But whatev I've only got a few weeks til I get to see him rush vs NFL tackles

He played like a top 8 qb after week 5 last year and the media still to this day ranks him in the 20s and wonders if he is a franchise qb

Probably would have been better stated if I said won't get the credit he's due from the media.

And I decided I did not want to get involved in that other thread but when you start talking about a .10 3 cone time being the difference in if a guy can be a pro bowler or not considering that said player improved his vertical 5 and 1/2 inches from combine to pro day and sat on his 3 cone combine time I think you are overstating it.

But whatev I've only got a few weeks til I get to see him rush vs NFL tackles

More like week 10 to 14 (excluding week 13 ) as far as top 8 qbs and even then SD,LA,SF,AZ all sold out to stop Jay Ajayi who sparked our turn around by running for 529 week 6 thru 9. Unless Tannehill puts up elite TDs and ints ratios along with great passing numbers the media will question Tannehill eliteness.

.10 is definitely not insignificant when comparing 7.37 to 7.47 again I'm just stating facts when I say there's never been a Pro bowl or All pro player with that level flexibility, Its not that Harris is a bad player its just you can't draft a player at 22 without a least the potential to make the pro bowl. Forrest Lamp, and Jordan Willis in the 2nd would of been the better pick ( I'm not a fan of Jordan Willis Tape but when you test like that 2nd round would have been great value)

San Fran's really the only team that truly sold out to stop the run and he lit them up like a Christmas tree.

I'm not saying harris is gonna be an all pro either. But I do think in a 43 where as a pass rusher they are gonna ask you to play in a 10 yard box primarily it's more critical to have the get off tackles must account for, the ability to bend, the ability to flatten, and the ability to get sideways once you clear the inside shoulder and maintain balance to the qb and ball. And I've seen plenty of evidence of all that on college tape. Ankle flexion is something I don't think he has however on wakes level. Wake doesn't have the ability to turn in from either hip that harris does though either. And it's not like this kid changes direction like an air craft carrier on tape. He dropped his hips and geared down and burst out in lb drills as fluid as any potential stand up edge lb option that worked out at the combine. Hip fluidity in a 43 is more about redirect as a pass rusher it's more my initial rush was nullified can I redirect and go to plan b and adjust to what the tackle is showing me.

There was barely a de or edge in the class that had an inside counter redirect in the arsenal despite badly needing it vs overset tackles.

You picked at 22 not top 10 or even top 5 where the cleanest most sure things all go and you got a plus spin move from either hip, a top 10 pick worthy get off on tape, a bend, a flatten edge rusher 6 foot 3 and 255 very new to the game even and not a 5th year senior but a redshirt junior. And by all accounts you got a high character kid with a top shelf work ethic.

Last edited:
San Fran's really the only team that truly sold out to stop the run and he lit them up like a Christmas tree.

I'm not saying harris is gonna be an all pro either. But I do think in a 43 where as a pass rusher they are gonna ask you to play in a 10 yard box primarily it's more critical to have the get off tackles must account for, the ability to bend, the ability to flatten, and the ability to get sideways once you clear the inside shoulder and maintain balance to the qb and ball. And I've seen plenty of evidence of all that on college tape. Ankle flexion is something I don't think he has however on wakes level. Wake doesn't have the ability to turn in from either hip that harris does though either. And it's not like this kid changes direction like an air craft carrier on tape. He dropped his hips and geared down and burst out in lb drills as fluid as any potential stand up edge lb option that worked out at the combine. Hip fluidity in a 43 is more about redirect as a pass rusher it's more my initial rush was nullified can I redirect and go to plan b and adjust to what the tackle is showing me.

There was barely a de or edge in the class that had an inside counter redirect in the arsenal despite badly needing it vs overset tackles.

You picked at 22 not top 10 or even top 5 where the cleanest most sure things all go and you got a plus spin move from either hip, a top 10 pick worthy get off on tape, a bend, a flatten edge rusher 6 foot 3 and 255 very new to the game even and not a 5th year senior but a redshirt junior. And by all accounts you got a high character kid with a top shelf work ethic.

I liked Harris until his performance at the Combine, Wake's hand placement and pass rushing moves are Tier 1 as far as pass rushers and Wake is way more explosive and much faster you can't compare the two.

You need some impact players...but you also need a deep roster without glaring holes....like Miami's O-line and Defense had last year.

The Sparano led Dolphins made the playoffs with an offensive gimmick and a top 10 defense and the #1 takeaway/giveaway ration in the NFL. The last two factors and crucial to any team's success.

Stating the Patriots missed the playoffs that season is irrelevant as they still won 11 games w/ Matt Cassell.

As I said earlier in the thread: Brady is an elite QB, but if it wasn't for Brady, Belichick would have found success with another QB that encompasses his traits of leadership, work ethic, and intelligence. Much like what he is doing now with Garappolo and did with Cassell.

You say that...but reality says he's never really proven that for a sustained period of time...just facts versus perception.

Back
Top Bottom