**The Fire Larry Coker Thread** | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

**The Fire Larry Coker Thread**

Man another thing I just thought of with Coker and why I don't really like him. Is it me or does it seem like he really enjoys the spotlight alot. LIke I'm reading on ESPN about the suspended Canes players and his whole response gave me the impression of "Oh, I'm the Coach of Miami so I do as I please, I don't have to give reasons why I suspended a player, I have the power to do so" type of ordeal. He just seems to like being the center of attention more than even the players. I'm not sure if anybody else has noticed this about Coker but I always have, like he gets off on being interviewed at halftime down 10 or something of that nature.

Iono, he just seems like the kind of coach who would have accepted the invitation with Bush Sunday night to dinner. This is all my opinion . . but thats another thing I haven't liked about Coker. Its like he was calm and cool year one, but soon as he lost the OHio State game in year 2, things just changed. Sometimes it doesn't seem as if he puts the team first, how the hell can u be jolly looking after a terrible half, man show some emotion.

There is one coach in all of college football that has a better record than Larry Coker.

It's not like every conference game is a lay-up anymore, the days of the "Big-Least" are over, Miami is now in a verry deep and talent laiden conference.

Well, my question is this....

With everyone calling for his firing like this...What exactly is wrong with Coker? Do not get me wrong....I think there a lot of things that can be done better, but is the way he runs his program all that bad? He disciplines his team for rules that are broken. The prgram he is running is still recovering from the nasty recruiting scandal that occured back in the 90's. He is attempting to get the program back on track. Does have a few "rebuilding years" really mean we should fire the man? I mean...yes, a winning record is nice and all....but with the talent he has had in the past...<cough> Brock Berlin<cough> I am surprised he did as well as he did. I say give him at least a few years and see what he does with the team...if by..say...2009...UM still has not competed for the national championship...let him go.

I think that by opening a revolving door for coaches to come in and "give it a try" will only hurt the team, the player's morale and the school in the long run. It will make college football look more like the NFL...lol

birdmann69 said:
Well, my question is this....

With everyone calling for his firing like this...What exactly is wrong with Coker? Do not get me wrong....I think there a lot of things that can be done better, but is the way he runs his program all that bad? He disciplines his team for rules that are broken. The prgram he is running is still recovering from the nasty recruiting scandal that occured back in the 90's. He is attempting to get the program back on track. Does have a few "rebuilding years" really mean we should fire the man? I mean...yes, a winning record is nice and all....but with the talent he has had in the past...<cough> Brock Berlin<cough> I am surprised he did as well as he did. I say give him at least a few years and see what he does with the team...if by..say...2009...UM still has not competed for the national championship...let him go.

I think that by opening a revolving door for coaches to come in and "give it a try" will only hurt the team, the player's morale and the school in the long run. It will make college football look more like the NFL...lol
Well said :peace:

Marino2Clayton said:
There is one coach in all of college football that has a better record than Larry Coker.

It's not like every conference game is a lay-up anymore, the days of the "Big-Least" are over, Miami is now in a verry deep and talented laiden conference.
I know most seem to forget over the same time period ONLY MACK BROWN from Texas has a better record.

Great point about the new conference. UM actually has to play a few real games now. Back in the Big East they really only had like two games a year... FSU and VT. MAYBE Louisville, or some other team on any given year, but really not that difficult of a schedule. They used to be able to get all their 3rd stringers LOTS of valuable playing time in mop up duty (some games by the 3rd quarter). So by the time it came for this players to step up and be starters they already had loads of experience.

All that being said, Coker still has to prove something in the next couple years, but I would not write him off this year.

Coker has a knack for ruining top talent when it comes out of high school. Brock Berlin was the number 1 qb out of high school and Kyle wright was the number 3 qb out of high school and he has done a poor job maturing them into elite college quarterbacks and he needs to show the o-line how to block. And by the way losing a bowl game the way we did is unacceptable.

23Ronnie23 said:
Coker has a knack for ruining top talent when it comes out of high school. Brock Berlin was the number 1 qb out of high school and Kyle wright was the number 3 qb out of high school and he has done a poor job maturing them into elite college quarterbacks and he needs to show the o-line how to block. And by the way losing a bowl game the way we did is unacceptable.

There are alot of top recruits that don't live up to their billing, and its way too early to make judgements on Kyle Wrights career.

Wont happen this year but if he does get fired I want BD back

Who do you replace him with?

I vote for coach Walter Frazier of Miami Carol City High :D

23Ronnie23 said:

Bingo . . u don't lose a bowl game like the Canes did. Completely unacceptable. And I'm tired of people throwing his record out there, he accumulated that record with Butch's guys, when his guys stepped in, he hasn't been as successful . . We are in Miami, possibly the hottest city in the nation right now, we should be attracting tons of talent from everywhere, but we have taken steps back. Coker is a nice guy who I believe is getting a pass because of his first 2 years, but realistically he is not the type of coach we need on this team. Yea we were what 9-3 last year, but it could have been worse, one more 9-3 season, and he is gone IMO.

Marino2Clayton said:
There are alot of top recruits that don't live up to their billing, and its way too early to make judgements on Kyle Wrights career.
true, but he showed no development at all last year. he was just as crappy in the pocket against LSU as he was against FSU.

This is kinda what happened to Terry Bowden at Auburn. He won big time for the first few years with Pat Dye's players. He couldn't recruit worth a hoot and his record started to falter. I thought he deserved one more year to turn it around, but he resigned before they were going to fire him.

Bring Back Butch!!!! Jeremy Sochkey admits he was a great coach because he doesnt put up with the **** that coker does.

Back
Top Bottom