The Fumble: Tannehill Checked Out of a Run Play | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Fumble: Tannehill Checked Out of a Run Play

Do you think Tannehill should've changed the play to a pass?

• Total voters
Do you think Tannehill was aware Clabo would be blocking Mario Williams when he changed the play?

Doesn't matter. He still needs to make that block! No excuses. You go for the win.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Tannehill ran the play he was coached to run. The play is DESIGNED to have a check to a pass against an 8 man front. From the coaches comments, Tannehill made the right read in that situation. If you don't want your QB to have to make that check, how about they go into a jumbo formation and run the ball? The coaches made the decision to stay in their conventional offense and call that play. They had to know that Buffalo would stack the box and therefore Tannehill would change to a pass, just as he has been coached to do.

Trust me, if we had gone ultra conservative and had a three and out, punted the ball and lost, there would be 100 threads criticizing the conservative play calling. So Tannehill was right, if they execute, nobody is talking about the play. Clabo didn't execute. Once that play is called, it is up to the 11 guys on the field to do their job, all of them. If you can't block a guy on a three step drop you shouldn't be on the field. That is on the coaches and the GM.

THIS!

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Doesn't matter. He still needs to make that block! No excuses. You go for the win.
Of course he needs to make that block. And he needs to make every block, especially the one where he has to block the all-world Mario Williams so that a play doesn't appear ill-advised. What's Tyson Clabo thinking, missing a block like that one?

The excuses never stop. It's always somebody else's fault. In fact we should definitely pass some blame to the water boy who probably didn't get Tanny the right amount of hydration before that series.

I said it when Hartline was resigned. And I say it now. Relying on an eminently mediocre WR to be your one or two WR will hurt a team's top level potential.

And when split seconds count, you're out of luck.

LD

I said it when Hartline was resigned. And I say it now. Relying on an eminently mediocre WR to be your one or two WR will hurt a team's top level potential.

LD
How fast do you figure a wide receiver has to be in the first 10 yards of the 40-yard dash to have been in the place where Ryan Tannehill could've thrown the ball before Mario Williams got to him? Or is it some ability besides speed with regard to which the wide receiver would have to be "non-mediocre"?

What Tanny should have said is "If my WR is a half-second quicker, we wouldn't be talking about this."

Speed kills in the NFL. And having a slow WR who can catch is good. But not when split-seconds count.

LD

You are letting his skin color effect your vision of his speed...4.45 40....better then most WRs in the NFL....

Yes, he is supposed to audible based on the defensive formation. Its what he's been coached to do. Its not something Tannehill just decided to do on his own, like he's some rouge QB play changer going against the will of his OC/HC. Even Philbin has validated the call in his presser.

Situational awareness

LD

Hartline is a good player but we could have spent a lot less on him (Ireland) and we have to rely on him because we haven't drafted a wr since him (Ireland) and all of our free agent wr signings have been terrible (Ireland).

Hartline is a good player but we could have spent a lot less on him (Ireland) and we have to rely on him because we haven't drafted a wr since him (Ireland) and all of our free agent wr signings have been terrible (Ireland).
Hartline is making less money than other receivers who produce similarly.

Yeah, this one definitely isn't on Hartline...

I get that we want to make every excuse in the book for Tannehill because he has flashed some great potential. I still think he can be a great leader for us, but he needs to improve his pocket presence and his vision because that last sack was more on him than anyone (even more than on Clabo, who got beat but gave him enough time to go through at least his second progression had he not had tunnel vision for Hartline).

Wow! are people just going down the roster looking for someone to blame? My Lord!

Obviously this increases the blame a whole lot more towards the player and away from the coaching staff a bit. It's very similar to the situation we were against the Colts, week 2 of 2009, when Pennington checked into a run play that led to FG, which didn't give us enough of a lead against Peyton. We all blamed Sparano for that one until word came out it was Pennington's call.

While I seriously question Tannehill's judgement there, that doesn't absolve the coaches. Obviously Tannehill was invested with this authority, and his checking into a pass play was certainly made easier by the fact that our coaches have never had any issues with ridiculous run/pass splits. Chances are, the coaching staff had taught him to check into this play when faced with that front even in this situation. This development increases my disappointment in Tannehill, but at the end of the day the staff is the one developing his play selection, his ball protection, and his pocket presence. I haven't seen the right developments in this regard.

You are letting his skin color effect your vision of his speed...4.45 40....better then most WRs in the NFL....

Anyone who believes that Hartline runs a 4.45 -- smh.

He's a 4.55 WR and one of those who runs slower in pads.

Had this discussion before and have 100 dollar bet that Hartline cannot run sub 4.55 in pads. I think it was Wildbill that contacted Hartline via Twitter w. the challenge. Crickets.

I just laughed the whole time. I know what he runs. I know how fast he is in pads. He's a glorified possession WR and non-gamebreaker. Decent number 3 WR on a good team.

LD

Back
Top Bottom