The Heat are retiring Dan Marino's number... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Heat are retiring Dan Marino's number...

First of all, yes, I was joking. If I wasn't I would fire myself as a columnist.

FinsNYanksFan13 said:
I don't think there's anything wrong with this. In fact, I think it would be cool if all Miami area sports teams retired the number out of respect for Dan!

Second, why should Miami area sports teams suck up to Dan Marino? I understand everyone here thinks he's a demigod, but he was a football player. Are they going to have a Dolphins jersey hanging in the rafters? A Heat jersey with the name Marino on it? What happens if the league does retire 13 for Chamberlain, is Miami going to have to unretire Marino's 13 to accommodate the league (parallel example, the Yankees won't retire Rivera's 42 after he retires himself because 42 is already retired for Jackie Robinson. In both cases, it would be a huge insult to the real retirees.)?

I think it's a stupid move based solely on marketing, and this is not a team that needs to market itself right now.

I think this is stupid and Im a diehard Marino fan. Why would another sport retire Marino's number? I can kindof sortof almost see retiring MJ's number but Marino's? Idiotic.

seeing how passionate the Heat haters are about how stupid this is....I am all for it now.

BTW....the Heat should retire #10 and #33.....

Hardaway has a shot at the HOF and so does ZO...they would be worthy....

Section126 said:
seeing how passionate the Heat haters are about how stupid this is....I am all for it now.

BTW....the Heat should retire #10 and #33.....

Hardaway has a shot at the HOF and so does ZO...they would be worthy....

#33, yes. #10, maybe not.

Hardaway played 422 games with Golden State and 367 with Miami. And many of those 367 were when he was on the downside of a fine career. He had three all-star appearances as a Warrior and two as a member of the Heat. He hit his statistical peak as a member of the Warriors from 1991-93, blew out his knee in 94 and never quite reached those heights again. Source: http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/h/hardati01.html

So if anyone should retire Hardaway's #10, it's Golden State and not Miami.

phunwin said:
#33, yes. #10, maybe not.

Hardaway played 422 games with Golden State and 367 with Miami. And many of those 367 were when he was on the downside of a fine career. He had three all-star appearances as a Warrior and two as a member of the Heat. He hit his statistical peak as a member of the Warriors from 1991-93, blew out his knee in 94 and never quite reached those heights again. Source: http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/h/hardati01.html

So if anyone should retire Hardaway's #10, it's Golden State and not Miami.

I kinda agree with you.....but if Hardaway makes the HOF.....you gotta retire his number....he played almost half of his career here....

the Yankees won't retire Rivera's 42 after he retires himself because 42 is already retired for Jackie Robinson.

Absolutely #42 will be retired for Mariano. I haven't been to Monument Park lately but I'm not sure if #42 is there, if so it is honored and not retired since marinao was Grandfathered in and #42 will be retired for Mariano.

nyjunc said:
Absolutely #42 will be retired for Mariano. I haven't been to Monument Park lately but I'm not sure if #42 is there, if so it is honored and not retired since marinao was Grandfathered in and #42 will be retired for Mariano.

and if there is a current Yankee that deserves it is Mariano Rivera....the guy is a first ballot hall of famer.....and the best closer in baseball history.

He might be in the top ten yankees of all-time....

1. Babe Ruth
2. Lou Gherig
3. Mickey Mantle
4. Joe Dimaggio
5. Yogi Berra
6. Derek Jeter
7. Don Mattingly
8. Thurman Munson
9. Whitey Ford
10. Mariano Rivera (Tie) Roger Maris

If I am missing somebody...let me know...I probably am....(not a yankees fan)

Section126 said:
and if there is a current Yankee that deserves it is Mariano Rivera....the guy is a first ballot hall of famer.....and the best closer in baseball history.

He might be in the top ten yankees of all-time....

1. Babe Ruth
2. Lou Gherig
3. Mickey Mantle
4. Joe Dimaggio
5. Yogi Berra
6. Derek Jeter
7. Don Mattingly
8. Thurman Munson
9. Whitey Ford
10. Mariano Rivera (Tie) Roger Maris

If I am missing somebody...let me know...I probably am....(not a yankees fan)

Mariano is definitely above Maris, maris had a few good years but isn't an all-time great Yankee. I'd put him #6 on this list, As great as Jeter has been Mariano has been even better and he's definitely ahead of Donnie & Munson and probably slightly ahead of Whitey.

Section126 said:
I kinda agree with you.....but if Hardaway makes the HOF.....you gotta retire his number....he played almost half of his career here....

Is there precedent for that? Did the Lakers and Sixers both retire Wilt's #13? I think they did. Of course, Wilt Chamberlain was perhaps the greatest player ever. He was certainly the most dominant. Hardaway, while a fantastic point guard, certainly doesn't enter that discussion.

But yeah, I'd say that if he makes the Hall, both teams could retire his #10.

phunwin said:
Is there precedent for that? Did the Lakers and Sixers both retire Wilt's #13? I think they did. Of course, Wilt Chamberlain was perhaps the greatest player ever. He was certainly the most dominant. Hardaway, while a fantastic point guard, certainly doesn't enter that discussion.

But yeah, I'd say that if he makes the Hall, both teams could retire his #10.

Warriors also retired Wilts number :)

nyjunc said:
Mariano is definitely above Maris, maris had a few good years but isn't an all-time great Yankee. I'd put him #6 on this list, As great as Jeter has been Mariano has been even better and he's definitely ahead of Donnie & Munson and probably slightly ahead of Whitey.

Maris isn't even in the HOF. And most Yankee fans don't want to hear this, but Mattingly was a good, not great, player. The myth exceeds the man by a country mile. He was excellent from 1984-87, and was a league average first baseman for most of the remainder of his career. Careerwise, he was fairly similar to Will Clark, a player who definitely isn't going to Cooperstown.

QB2RonnieTD23 said:
Warriors also retired Wilts number :)

That's right! They were the Philadelphia Warriors before moving to Oakland, I totally forgot about that. So 3 teams retired #13? That's impressive.

phunwin said:
Maris isn't even in the HOF. And most Yankee fans don't want to hear this, but Mattingly was a good, not great, player. The myth exceeds the man by a country mile. He was excellent from 1984-87, and was a league average first baseman for most of the remainder of his career. Careerwise, he was fairly similar to Will Clark, a player who definitely isn't going to Cooperstown.

Donnie was well on his way to the HOF before injuries derailed him. He's beloved b/c he played on alot of bad to medicore teams and always played hard and had his career robbed to due his back probelms but he never complained.

Section126 said:
Hardly.

Bitter Knicks fan?

Not a Knicks fan at all. Not even a fan of 1 NBA team in paticular. Think the entire league is a joke being played by criminals and thugs. Follow it but with only one eye on it really. Not a big fan.

The Heat are still a joke though (not the team this year or the players or anything like that, just as a franchise as a whole)

Back
Top Bottom