The Heat are retiring Dan Marino's number... | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Heat are retiring Dan Marino's number...

MikeO said:
Not getting to me, but starting to come off like a moron when you say I harp on soemthing and only put up 1 post about it. Seems to a lot of the staff here that I have talked to that you are now pushing a "vendetta" or "grudge" against me by responding to anything I post just to disagree with me. We have been noticing it of late and have talked about it. Don't understand it really, but we have noticed it.

Haha, are you trying to report me? I just disagree with a lot of your statements. I never attack you personally. But the funny thing is here that we agree on this thread: the Heat retiring Marino's number is ridiculous.

ohall said:
So they retire Jordan's #, and now Marino's. I don't get it?!

The two greatest players ever in their respective sports. I kinda understand it. Jordan is the greatest ever, so he got the Jackie Robinson treatment from the Heat. Marino is Miami's biggest hero & probably the most famous person in the city's history.

I think the Heat are trying to retire all the #s that end in 3. In the future 3-Dwayne Wade, 13-Marino, 23-Jordan, 33-Mourning...

I think it's a dumb idea.

They've got guys from other teams and other sports up there. Yet Alec Kessler continues to be denied.

Is Jordan's # retired leaguewide? I don't remember them doing that but that is ridiculous. It's so silly to retire a player's # leaguewide when that player only played for a team or 2. I can understand and live w/ MLB doing it for jackie Robinson b/c that was bigger than the game but tor etire Michael's #s in the NBA is silly and the uprorar lately to retire Clemente's # leaguewide is even more silly. These leagues need tos top w/ this nonsense.

nyjunc said:
Is Jordan's # retired leaguewide? I don't remember them doing that but that is ridiculous. It's so silly to retire a player's # leaguewide when that player only played for a team or 2. I can understand and live w/ MLB doing it for jackie Robinson b/c that was bigger than the game but tor etire Michael's #s in the NBA is silly and the uprorar lately to retire Clemente's # leaguewide is even more silly. These leagues need tos top w/ this nonsense.

The only players that should have their respected numbers retired league wide are Jackie Robinson and Wayne Gretzky....and that has been done already.

unifiedtheory said:
The only players that should have their respected numbers retired league wide are Jackie Robinson and Wayne Gretzky....and that has been done already.

Gretzky's # was retired league wide?

I don't think Jackie Robinson's # should have been retired league wide. He wasn't the greatest, or nowhere near the greatest. Sure he faced some adversity but so have a lot of other athletes.

Only the best, the very best should be retired league wide. And since that topic is so disputable in MLB & the NFL there shouldn't be any. The NHL has the obvious Gretzky & the NBA has Jordan. That's it.

SMadison29 said:
I don't think Jackie Robinson's # should have been retired league wide. He wasn't the greatest, or nowhere near the greatest. Sure he faced some adversity but so have a lot of other athletes.

Only the best, the very best should be retired league wide. And since that topic is so disputable in MLB & the NFL there shouldn't be any. The NHL has the obvious Gretzky & the NBA has Jordan. That's it.

If there was no Jackie Robinson then there might not be a Barry Bonds, Willie Mays, Hank Aaron etc. Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier down in baseball. It has nothing to do with being a great player or not it has to do with his lasting impact in the game. Jackie Robinson, at the time he played, faced more adversity than any pro athlete does today. He was the only black ball player in America playing for the MLB. Remember that America was still racist back then too. You shouldn't compare what a player goes through today and what Jackie Robinson went through because it won't be close.

I disagree with only the best having their numbers retired league wide. Why should the Suns or Rockets have #23 retired just because Michael Jordan was one of the greatest baseball players ever? Why should the Oakland A's or Tampa Bay Devil Rays have #3 retired for Babe Ruth. They didn't do anything for those franchises.

Ray Finkle said:
If there was no Jackie Robinson then there might not be a Barry Bonds, Willie Mays, Hank Aaron etc. Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier down in baseball. It has nothing to do with being a great player or not it has to do with his lasting impact in the game. Jackie Robinson, at the time he played, faced more adversity than any pro athlete does today. He was the only black ball player in America playing for the MLB. Remember that America was still racist back then too. You shouldn't compare what a player goes through today and what Jackie Robinson went through because it won't be close.

I disagree with only the best having their numbers retired league wide. Why should the Suns or Rockets have #23 retired just because Michael Jordan was one of the greatest baseball players ever? Why should the Oakland A's or Tampa Bay Devil Rays have #3 retired for Babe Ruth. They didn't do anything for those franchises.

:link:

RWhitney014 said:

No link, that was my opinion. It IS possible that Barry Bonds or Hank Aaron would have been around, however you could argue that without Jackie Robinson there would be no Willie Mays in the MLB. (I'm still upset that the Red Sox had a chance to have both Jackie Robinson AND Willie Mays on their team yet they past up on both because the owner didn't want colors on his team :fire: ) Jackie Robinson is an inspiration is many people and the MLB did the right thing retiring his number league wide.

My question is should someone like Roberto Clemente, who is a big reason why Latino ball players are in the MLB, have his number retired?

Ray Finkle said:
No link, that was my opinion. It IS possible that Barry Bonds or Hank Aaron would have been around, however you could argue that without Jackie Robinson there would be no Willie Mays in the MLB. (I'm still upset that the Red Sox had a chance to have both Jackie Robinson AND Willie Mays on their team yet they past up on both because the owner didn't want colors on his team :fire: ) Jackie Robinson is an inspiration is many people and the MLB did the right thing retiring his number league wide.

My question is should someone like Roberto Clemente, who is a big reason why Latino ball players are in the MLB, have his number retired?

I'm not big into the whole "RETIRING NUMBERS" thing. And on a lesser level the "RINGS OF FAME" that teams do. First off, aside from Jackie no league should retire a players number. Second, teams should only retire numbers of guys who actually did something meaningful for such team. Jordan=Bulls. Marino=Fins. Montana=SF. Banks=Cubs. Ewing=Knicks. So on and so forth.

If the Pirates want to retire Clemente's number that would be fine (they might/probably already have I don't know). But for a "league wide" retiring it would be stupid in my opinion. As it would be for any athlete.

Ray Finkle said:

:lol:

It was supposed to be a joke...

MikeO said:
I'm not big into the whole "RETIRING NUMBERS" thing. And on a lesser level the "RINGS OF FAME" that teams do. First off, aside from Jackie no league should retire a players number. Second, teams should only retire numbers of guys who actually did something meaningful for such team. Jordan=Bulls. Marino=Fins. Montana=SF. Banks=Cubs. Ewing=Knicks. So on and so forth.

If the Pirates want to retire Clemente's number that would be fine (they might/probably already have I don't know). But for a "league wide" retiring it would be stupid in my opinion. As it would be for any athlete.

I agree with your first paragraph 100%.

As for the second, it's not that I disagree but more of playing devil's adovcate because people could argue that Clemente broke down the Latino barrier in the MLB. Therefore why shouldn't his number be retired. (Of course then someone would argue that Nomo's number should be retired league wide because he got Japanese players into the game).

Back
Top Bottom