The Heat are retiring Dan Marino's number... | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Heat are retiring Dan Marino's number...

nyjunc said:
Absolutely #42 will be retired for Mariano. I haven't been to Monument Park lately but I'm not sure if #42 is there, if so it is honored and not retired since marinao was Grandfathered in and #42 will be retired for Mariano.

8 is retired twice for the Yanks. They will do the same with 42. One for MO and the other of course for the great Jackie Robinson

isn't Baseball trying to get number 42 retired across Baseball in respect to Jackie Robinson? Or was that for Roberto Clemente....i saw a feature on it i cant remember.

42 is retired league-wide for Robinson, but players who wore 42 before it were still allowed to, most notably Rivera and Mo Vaughn. They'll honor Mo, but retiring his number is a knock to Robinson IMO.

Phil, Hardaway might not have been the best player ever here, but it was the combination of him and Zo that brought Miami to the top for the first time. And people still love him here. He owns a minor league basketball team, lives in the area, and donates a lot of money to charities, and he gets huge cheers when they show him on the Jumbotron. There are plenty of players for teams that have numbers retired simply because they were popular (cough, MARINO [as a Heat], cough). Timmy should be as well.

Or was that for Roberto Clemente

it's Clemente and no disrespect to a great player in Clemente but it's asinine to even think about retiring his # leaguewide.

Phil, Hardaway might not have been the best player ever here, but it was the combination of him and Zo that brought Miami to the top for the first time

On top? They have never even made a Finals appearance. They have been on top of their division but that's it.

RWhitney014 said:
42 is retired league-wide for Robinson, but players who wore 42 before it were still allowed to, most notably Rivera and Mo Vaughn. They'll honor Mo, but retiring his number is a knock to Robinson IMO.

I disagree I don't think that retiring #42 for Rivera would be a knock to Robinson. Rivera wore that number for at least 3 years before MLB decided to retire Robinson's number. Rivera is one of the top pitchers in Yankee history and his number deserves to be retired. I would find it disrespectful and a knock if the Yankees didn't retire Rivera's number.

Ray Finkle said:
I disagree I don't think that retiring #42 for Rivera would be a knock to Robinson. Rivera wore that number for at least 3 years before MLB decided to retire Robinson's number. Rivera is one of the top pitchers in Yankee history and his number deserves to be retired. I would find it disrespectful and a knock if the Yankees didn't retire Rivera's number.

Not just a top pitcher in Yankee history. Maybe the best relief pitcher/closer in the history of the sport. I agree though it isn't a knock on Robinson to retire Mo's number.

nyjunc said:
On top? They have never even made a Finals appearance. They have been on top of their division but that's it.

Before he and Zo came, Miami stunk. After they came, they were perennial frontrunners. Got them a new arena and everything.

nyjunc said:
Not to mention they were once a 1 seed who lost in the first round of the playoffs to an 8 seed.

MikeO said:
Not to mention they were once a 1 seed who lost in the first round of the playoffs to an 8 seed.

Oh, come off it, if you didn't care that much about the NBA like you allege, you wouldn't be harping on this. But I still think retiring Marino's number is dumb.

RWhitney014 said:
Oh, come off it, if you didn't care that much about the NBA like you allege, you wouldn't be harping on this. But I still think retiring Marino's number is dumb.

harping on what? I put up one post about them retiring his number. :shakeno:

RWhitney014 said:
I still think retiring Marino's number is dumb.

It is dumb, what's next? The Celtics retiring Ted Williams number? The Knicks retiring Jeters? Should Jackie Robinson's number be retired in every sport?

I love Dan Marino as much as the next Dolphin fan but come on how many points or games did he win for the Heat?

MikeO said:
harping on what? I put up one post about them retiring his number. :shakeno:

You've had more than one post knocking the Heat and the NBA's "thugs", as you put it.

RWhitney014 said:
You've had more than one post knocking the Heat and the NBA's "thugs", as you put it.

On Marino's number, don't go changing the argument. I put up 1 post on Marino's number being retired.

On the other stuff I was just responding to what people put up to my posts.:shakeno: God, just put me on IGNORE if you hate me that much and have this many issues with me. :shakeno:

Then your post about only having posted once about Marino was a non sequitur, because my post was in reference to your multiple posts about the Heat/NBA stinking. Although I seem to remember something about the Celtics sucking in your sig for a while. But I guess I'm getting to you, so I'll lay off. :wink:

RWhitney014 said:
Then your post about only having posted once about Marino was a non sequitur, because my post was in reference to your multiple posts about the Heat/NBA stinking. Although I seem to remember something about the Celtics sucking in your sig for a while. But I guess I'm getting to you, so I'll lay off. :wink:

Not getting to me, but starting to come off like a moron when you say I harp on soemthing and only put up 1 post about it. Seems to a lot of the staff here that I have talked to that you are now pushing a "vendetta" or "grudge" against me by responding to anything I post just to disagree with me. We have been noticing it of late and have talked about it. Don't understand it really, but we have noticed it.

Back
Top Bottom