The Miami Dolphins Are A 10 Win Team And Here Is Why

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by DKphin, Jul 3, 2018.

1. DKphin

DKphin A True Fan Donator

[​IMG]
    LONDON, ENGLAND - OCTOBER 04: Ryan Tannehill and Calvin Pace at the annual NFL International fixture as the New York Jets compete against the Miami Dolphins at Wembley Stadium on October 4, 2015 in London, England. (Photo by Mike Marsland/WireImage)

We are approximately one month away from Training camp, and I for one, am more excited about this Dolphin team than I have been in quite a long time. I understand that all of the critics expect this team to be one of the worst in football, but I do not. I believe this team is going to be at least a 10 win team. Let me explain:

https://thegruelingtruth.net/football/nfl/the-miami-dolphins-are-a-10-win-team-and-here-is-why/

El Calebra and Ray R like this.
  2. superphin

superphin close your eyes, see that? no your eyes are closed Finheaven VIP

I see them winning 10 games barring any major injuries.

What I wonder is barring major injury what happens if we only win 8? Do we get rid of Gase? Tannehill? Both?

3. BSQ

BSQ Scout Team Finheaven VIP

The team does look great on paper, quite a bit better than last year's roster. DK, the fact that Ryan is back under center is just huge. Cutler lost games for us, RT will win games for us with his arm, legs or whatever it takes. The o-line will also be a huge game changer. I know we always think this will be the o-line that plays well and stays healthy and it blows up in our face. This will be different. This group has all pre-season to practice together in the S. Fl. sweltering heat and gel as a unit. I believe Sitton will be a great Miami Dolphin and he will elevate Tunsil's game simply by lining up next to him and showing him how it's done. I really thought Pouncey was hurting the team with his sub-par play last year. The word on Kilgore is that he's an upgrade, plus he's able to practice with his guys every day. I'm excited to see Davis and James on the right side. I actually think we have a good looking o-line going forward with some very fine depth. As far as weapons on offense, we loaded and we're fast. Drake, Ballage, Grant, Stills and Wilson are all guys that can leave you in the dirt. We have great RBs and receivers but the NFL doesn't know about us yet.

4. GOfins54

GOfins54 Well-Known Member

fluffy article

MelbournePhin and jnozag like this.
  5. jnozag

jnozag Well-Known Member

Good question. I'd guess Tannehill, yes. Gase, maybe one more year.

6. Blake the great

Blake the great A True Fan

That's the real question, what happens if we only win 7 or 8 games? Do we stick with the status quo or make a change?

I predict we go 8-8. We have improved our roster but also left a hole at the DT position and our LBs are mostly unknowns. Other teams have improved as well and feel just as confident.

jnozag and JahnDho like this.
  7. Atila

Atila Atila - the freshmaker. Finheaven VIP

Here's why:

Because Dolphin fans are always hyped on their squad in the summer. I've heard we're gonna be a 10+ win team every year for the past... every single year I've been on this board. The year we went 1-15 people were saying 9-7 haha.

8. phintim

phintim Seasoned Veteran

I agree and have posted so.
    Call me a extremist but I am calling for a 10 6 season and will be very disappointed with anything less. There are 2 conditions though for this to happen first RT stays healthy and Gase lives up to his ego as a coach.
    If any of the 2 do not happen or less expect a 6 10 season with RT and Gase to be on the red hot seat next season.
    Gase now has his team no excuses.

9. Pandarilla

Pandarilla A True Fan

10. tazthenomad

tazthenomad FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

And you assume the reason we only win 8 is the offensive side and not a defensive collapse which is much more likely?

GUH-sick-EE, lurking and Ray R like this.
  11. McMichael

McMichael Seasoned Veteran

10-6 wildcard team, more upgrades than downgrades with Tannehill coming back, McMillan is almost like an extra 2nd this year if he plays well and last but not least our schedule is much MUCH more favorable than last year where we played a top 6 schedule, lost our bye week and traveled 2x more than any other team.... not joking with those stats lol..

There were also tons of non-player related issues that went horribly wrong last year as well, I don't see us having nearly as many (if any) of those issues this year.

Digital, superphin and coalesce like this.
  12. LANGER72

LANGER72 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I think the fins will finish 13-3.
    No supporting data or inside scoop.

szes3, er22, TannDaMan17 and 2 others like this.
  13. Ren

Ren Rookie

• I think the team will be much improved over last year
    • I think the team could possibly be a 10 win team
    • I think that fan-blog was a bit over-the-top

fish920 and CoronaDoug like this.
  14. gregorygrant83

gregorygrant83 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I think we have to remember the 10 win hope is coming from Dolphin fans. There are a number of so called non-biased people around the country who have the team as a 5 win or less team. With that in mind If the team wins 8 games that's still playing well over expectations. I wouldn't think of getting rid of either Gase or Tannehill unless there is evidence that suggest they're what is holding the team back. For example if Tannehill and the offense plays well, but the defense is giving up 28-30 points per game resulting in 8 losses than I would keep Gase and Tannehill and focus 2019 on fixing what ever the problem was with the defense. Now if the defense is giving up 15 to 16 points per game, the o-line is at least par and Tannehill is struggling to move the offense than I would listen to those who would be screaming it's time for a change at qb. To me it always comes down to "do you think whoever you draft or sign could realisticly do better if placed in the same situation or enviorment.

GUH-sick-EE likes this.
  15. Birdmond

Birdmond A True Fan Donator

You must hang with a different crowd. I tend to see the Dolphin fan base as more pessimistic. This is the first season in years I’ve seen this much enthusiasm.

16. JahnDho

JahnDho Well-Known Member

All pros; no cons

17. JahnDho

How about this?

DL is below avg now. No dominate DT to take up double teams. No dominate DE to get 15-20 sacks.

LB still unknown. McMillan can be a solid MLB making Kiko better but the other side is still very unknown.

No true WR1. Fans used to scream for a WR1 until Landry came. Now he’s gone and they say ya but he really wasn’t a true WR1 so it’s cool, we got Amendola and Wilson now bra!

OL, outside of Sitton this group is an unknown. The journeyman, Kilgore will prove to be a downgrade at C. Sitton needs replaced within 3 years.

Drake/Gore will make big plays and be good enough to help them win games, but they don’t have a top 12 RB that’s a true difference maker. No Gurley, no Bell, not even as good as Kamara, Hunt, Fournette, Gordon or Elliot.

TE an upgrade over the nothing they had, but needs another year before being a reliable target and difference maker compared to playoff caliber teams.

Guys who agree with this article aren’t taking a balanced approach to the Fins roster. You’re not comparing them to the top 15 teams and what their rosters look like too. You’re full of hope and last time I checked, hope isn’t just a bad strategy, it isnt a strategy at all.

18. claytonduper

claytonduper Starter

I think the run defense will be the Achilles heel of this team (unless we pick up a free agent DT). If Tannehill struggles then we draft a QB in the first and the rest of the draft picks devoted to defense. Double down on DT, another LB, and DE.

19. fansinceGWilson

fansinceGWilson FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Too many variables to answer that. If Miami's 1st 7 games are 2-5 and the last 9 are 8-1, no changes at HC or QB. Significant injuries mean no changes. 8-8 when people are already claiming Miami has a tough schedule means no change. In fact, barring an implosion of some kind (e.g., a number of blowouts), there will be no significant changes.

20. The Ghost

The Ghost Stamos

12-4

Sarnics13 and Ray R like this.
  21. russianbear

russianbear FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

#offseason

Ray R likes this.
  22. Ray R

Ray R FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I doubt they are "non-biased". Possibly not knowledgeable about the Dolphins, but not "non-biased".

GUH-sick-EE, Digital and joenhre like this.
  23. fansinceGWilson

NFL win predictions have a poor correlation to reality. Thus, every year a number of teams "surprise." It's pretty easy to predict poor teams to remain poor and good teams to remain good. Those predictions are pretty bad at predicting changes.

24. MDFINFAN

MDFINFAN Reach for the Stars Super Donator

Maybe a little more this then that.

DL is somewhat known, not sure if it was better with Suh, since we weren't top 10 run stop. We're have to see how they them. As far as DE, isn't Wake still here?, Quinn had 8 1/2 sacks from his LBer position last year, now he can hunt full time. So it's possible for one of those two to get double digit sacks if not both. Our 1st round pick from last year may improve and Hayes and Andre aren't bad.

True

Landry was not a true #1 receiver, he was the #1 targeted receiver. Basically playing the blanket of a TE and Slot. Think back over the years, our slot receivers have done pretty good, making up for not having a real good TE.

Wasn't Kilgore on the field last year G was killing it for his new contract. That was Kilgore at center correct, SF did resign him if I'm not mistaken. Just don't think he's a downgrade. We know what the rest of this group can do. The only one we haven't had was Sitton, so other than James being out the last 8 games, Drake was running behind these guys for the league leading rush job at the end correct? Now some who were there are back ups. Not a bad place to be in.

wasn't Drake a difference maker once he was the starter? Just sayin, he beat out all those guys you named in the last 5-6 games if I remember correctly. Gore, HOF, looked pretty good last year. If our OL remain as good as they were at the end of last year, then I can see him having a very successful 2018 campaign, and our rookie, agreed, unknown.

Who knows some rooks show their stuff from the get go, others need a year or two. I really thought Gray should have played more last year, especially when Thomas wasn't showing much. Gray had a pretty good 2016, so I couldn't understand why they didn't use him more last year. When he did get in, he played pretty good. At least he has chemistry with Tannehill..we'll see.

Agree, we should compare our team to those we're going to play. But if you don't have hope, you have nothing. It's not about strategy for the fan, its supporting your team and HOPING they've done enough to be better this year. The strategy is at the GM/coaches level.

Digital, PhinsAAA, KBEE and 3 others like this.
  25. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Seasoned Veteran

I’m all for 10 wins, but will accept 8+ this year as the spring board to 12 next year ... think it will take this year for things to jell + click ... next year we should be rolling, particularly with this new batch of rookies who should be impact players by next year.

26. dolphintodd

dolphintodd FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Its to easy to say we lost Suh and Landry that we will suck. They were the toughest guys we had on each side of the ball. I am in the 10+ win camp, I don't see a glaring weakness like in the past. But positions like linebacker and TE are filled with rookies, so what will we get from them is tough to say.

Ray R likes this.
  27. Sarnics13

Sarnics13 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

This team will begin the transformation of the AFCE. I don't know how many wins but there will be significant strides taken and we will not be walked on anymore. Its coming.

28. DolfanDuBbZ~

DolfanDuBbZ~ Avoid the 'Noid

I've said Gase and Tannehill have until 2020. The current crop of rookies isn't about this year, its about the out years.

As for predictions prior to TC and PS is I guess the time to wave your pom poms. Let's see who makes the WK 1 roster before we start PREDICTING week 16 outcomes.

Hooligan and Ray R like this.
  29. JahnDho

True, not what I meant. It goes without saying that fans don’t have control over coaching decisions. However, hope doesn’t equate to wins and losses so when making predictions, hope isn’t a sound basis for anything fans should use.

30. fansinceGWilson

There's a difference between predictions and better predictions. Happens in all aspects of life. People predict political races as soon as someone announces. People predict what new medical procedures will be in 5 years. Let's not pretend predicting team wins is somehow unacceptable until early September. That's why a number of people note they keep the option to change their minds after TC.

As for predicting, there are a number of options. Based on talent, based on SOS, based on new coaches. I still see the win total affected by the 1st 4-5 games which is why I have 8. After that, I'm more concerned about Gase/Burke.

31. Dajesus

Dajesus A True Fan Donator

I don’t think anyone knows what to make of this team enough to make an educated guess for a 2018 record. There are so many unknowns. We have a new cast of WRs, RBs, TEs, interior oline, and LB. We have no idea what our QB will be after missing 20 games, and so many new players at skill positions. If all the new players meet expectations, and our young players make the jump we hope for 9-11 wins is doable. Just as possible is it takes awhile to build chemistry, and some of the young players struggle, and we win 5-6 games.

My biggest concern is still the oline. I do think our interior will be better with sitton, Kilgore, and Davis stepping in for Larsen, Pouncey, and Bushrod. It is cautious optimism though, as our two signings are in thier 30s, and Sitton has had injury struggles. My real concern though is T. Tunsil was one of the worst LT in football last season, as he was among the worst in penalties and sacks allowed. He needs to improve a lot just to get to NFL average ranking. Janes is another concern when healthy he is marginally better than Tunsil, but struggles with inconsistency and penalties. The when healthy part is huge, as he finished the last two seasons on IR. It’s more likely that these two guys continue to struggle than it is to assume they will make a jump to pro bowl level.

Another big concern is stopping the run. We don’t know what to expect at LB. McMillian, Anthony, and Baker are all big unknowns. DT lost a pro bowl talent and, and are young. Outside of Hayes at DE there isn’t a lot of run stoppers at DE.

32. nick1

nick1 I am Groot Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

I can see 10 wins. Drake is gonna be a top 10 back just watch

33. outlawd2u

outlawd2u Pro Bowler

We got better at a few positions, only took a drop at DT, and our schedule is more favorable this year. Barring catastrophic injury I really can't understand how anyone would think we are going to be worse this year than last. Ten wins is definitely doable.

KBEE, joenhre and Ray R like this.
  34. where's th'fish

where's th'fish Scout Team Donator

I think the fan base is sometimes optimistic, sometimes pessimistic. This year the crowd is certainly very upbeat. Which is crazy. It must be something in the water. We're buying too much into our 10-6 season two years ago in which we overachieved, as well as too little into our 6-10 season last year in which we also overachieved.

jnozag likes this.
  35. where's th'fish

where's th'fish Scout Team Donator

I think you touch upon a very important point, Dajesus: most Dolphin players reach their peak in popularity before they ever play a down for us. Having so many new players is probably helping out all the local optimism.

jnozag likes this.
  36. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

A 10 plus win season is possible. Lots of reasons for optimism. Here are a few:

1. Tannehill went 7-1 his last eight starts with Gase before his injury. I believe his qb rating was 105 (in that neighborhood).
    2. Running game should be better with addition of Sitton, Gore, Kilgore and a new offensive line coach. Plus, Drake has some serious talent.
    3. Secondary has a chance to be at least above average, maybe top 10 in the league. I like how Howard progressed in the second half and can't wait to see what Fitzpatrick adds. Plus, Lippett is coming back.
    4. Linebacking unit should be better.

Certainly, you could list reasons going the other way as well. But, why not be optimistic.

Whitedolphin54, Digital, KBEE and 2 others like this.
  37. sunworshipper

sunworshipper FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

From the end of last year, clearly we're better at QB, deeper at RB and CB, better and deeper at OL, DE, and S. Worse at DT. LB, WR, and TE could go either way but even there they are deeper at all three. It's hard to see how overall we could be worse than last season unless Tannehill misses most of the games.

Teenwolf likes this.
  38. JahnDho

Because you’ll be disappointed. I on the other hand expect 8 wins and missing the playoffs. I’ll be pleasantly surprised if they win 9 or 10...more likely ecstatic, but I really don’t expect it. 10 plus in 2019 is my optimism.

jnozag likes this.
  39. JahnDho

You’re telling me Drake/Gore is deeper than Ajayi/Drake? And don’t say well once Ajayi was traded because it’s a moot point. Depth only matters if you need it and Drake didn’t miss any time to warrant depth.

OL and DE aren’t better spots either. I can tell you exactly which way WR will go...you can’t lose a record breaking WR who never misses games and not know which way this group will go.

Anything over last year at TE is an upgrade, just not expecting a big year yet. 2019 should be good though for Gesicki.

jnozag likes this.
  40. rent this space

rent this space Starter Finheaven VIP

Sitton/Kilgore is better than Bushrod/Pouncey any day of the week and Quinn over Branch is a large upgrade