The Miami Dolphins Are A 10 Win Team And Here Is Why | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Miami Dolphins Are A 10 Win Team And Here Is Why

I don’t think anyone knows what to make of this team enough to make an educated guess for a 2018 record. There are so many unknowns. We have a new cast of WRs, RBs, TEs, interior oline, and LB. We have no idea what our QB will be after missing 20 games, and so many new players at skill positions. If all the new players meet expectations, and our young players make the jump we hope for 9-11 wins is doable. Just as possible is it takes awhile to build chemistry, and some of the young players struggle, and we win 5-6 games.

My biggest concern is still the oline. I do think our interior will be better with sitton, Kilgore, and Davis stepping in for Larsen, Pouncey, and Bushrod. It is cautious optimism though, as our two signings are in thier 30s, and Sitton has had injury struggles. My real concern though is T. Tunsil was one of the worst LT in football last season, as he was among the worst in penalties and sacks allowed. He needs to improve a lot just to get to NFL average ranking. Janes is another concern when healthy he is marginally better than Tunsil, but struggles with inconsistency and penalties. The when healthy part is huge, as he finished the last two seasons on IR. It’s more likely that these two guys continue to struggle than it is to assume they will make a jump to pro bowl level.

Another big concern is stopping the run. We don’t know what to expect at LB. McMillian, Anthony, and Baker are all big unknowns. DT lost a pro bowl talent and, and are young. Outside of Hayes at DE there isn’t a lot of run stoppers at DE.

We got better at a few positions, only took a drop at DT, and our schedule is more favorable this year. Barring catastrophic injury I really can't understand how anyone would think we are going to be worse this year than last. Ten wins is definitely doable.

You must hang with a different crowd. I tend to see the Dolphin fan base as more pessimistic. This is the first season in years I’ve seen this much enthusiasm.

I think the fan base is sometimes optimistic, sometimes pessimistic. This year the crowd is certainly very upbeat. Which is crazy. It must be something in the water. We're buying too much into our 10-6 season two years ago in which we overachieved, as well as too little into our 6-10 season last year in which we also overachieved.

I don’t think anyone knows what to make of this team enough to make an educated guess for a 2018 record. There are so many unknowns. We have a new cast of WRs, RBs, TEs, interior oline, and LB. We have no idea what our QB will be after missing 20 games, and so many new players at skill positions. If all the new players meet expectations, and our young players make the jump we hope for 9-11 wins is doable. Just as possible is it takes awhile to build chemistry, and some of the young players struggle, and we win 5-6 games.

My biggest concern is still the oline. I do think our interior will be better with sitton, Kilgore, and Davis stepping in for Larsen, Pouncey, and Bushrod. It is cautious optimism though, as our two signings are in thier 30s, and Sitton has had injury struggles. My real concern though is T. Tunsil was one of the worst LT in football last season, as he was among the worst in penalties and sacks allowed. He needs to improve a lot just to get to NFL average ranking. Janes is another concern when healthy he is marginally better than Tunsil, but struggles with inconsistency and penalties. The when healthy part is huge, as he finished the last two seasons on IR. It’s more likely that these two guys continue to struggle than it is to assume they will make a jump to pro bowl level.

Another big concern is stopping the run. We don’t know what to expect at LB. McMillian, Anthony, and Baker are all big unknowns. DT lost a pro bowl talent and, and are young. Outside of Hayes at DE there isn’t a lot of run stoppers at DE.

I think you touch upon a very important point, Dajesus: most Dolphin players reach their peak in popularity before they ever play a down for us. Having so many new players is probably helping out all the local optimism.

A 10 plus win season is possible. Lots of reasons for optimism. Here are a few:

1. Tannehill went 7-1 his last eight starts with Gase before his injury. I believe his qb rating was 105 (in that neighborhood).
2. Running game should be better with addition of Sitton, Gore, Kilgore and a new offensive line coach. Plus, Drake has some serious talent.
3. Secondary has a chance to be at least above average, maybe top 10 in the league. I like how Howard progressed in the second half and can't wait to see what Fitzpatrick adds. Plus, Lippett is coming back.
4. Linebacking unit should be better.

Certainly, you could list reasons going the other way as well. But, why not be optimistic.

From the end of last year, clearly we're better at QB, deeper at RB and CB, better and deeper at OL, DE, and S. Worse at DT. LB, WR, and TE could go either way but even there they are deeper at all three. It's hard to see how overall we could be worse than last season unless Tannehill misses most of the games.

A 10 plus win season is possible. Lots of reasons for optimism. Here are a few:

1. Tannehill went 7-1 his last eight starts with Gase before his injury. I believe his qb rating was 105 (in that neighborhood).
2. Running game should be better with addition of Sitton, Gore, Kilgore and a new offensive line coach. Plus, Drake has some serious talent.
3. Secondary has a chance to be at least above average, maybe top 10 in the league. I like how Howard progressed in the second half and can't wait to see what Fitzpatrick adds. Plus, Lippett is coming back.
4. Linebacking unit should be better.

Certainly, you could list reasons going the other way as well. But, why not be optimistic.

Because you’ll be disappointed. I on the other hand expect 8 wins and missing the playoffs. I’ll be pleasantly surprised if they win 9 or 10...more likely ecstatic, but I really don’t expect it. 10 plus in 2019 is my optimism.

From the end of last year, clearly we're better at QB, deeper at RB and CB, better and deeper at OL, DE, and S. Worse at DT. LB, WR, and TE could go either way but even there they are deeper at all three. It's hard to see how overall we could be worse than last season unless Tannehill misses most of the games.

You’re telling me Drake/Gore is deeper than Ajayi/Drake? And don’t say well once Ajayi was traded because it’s a moot point. Depth only matters if you need it and Drake didn’t miss any time to warrant depth.

OL and DE aren’t better spots either. I can tell you exactly which way WR will go...you can’t lose a record breaking WR who never misses games and not know which way this group will go.

Anything over last year at TE is an upgrade, just not expecting a big year yet. 2019 should be good though for Gesicki.

You’re telling me Drake/Gore is deeper than Ajayi/Drake? And don’t say well once Ajayi was traded because it’s a moot point. Depth only matters if you need it and Drake didn’t miss any time to warrant depth.

OL and DE aren’t better spots either. I can tell you exactly which way WR will go...you can’t lose a record breaking WR who never misses games and not know which way this group will go.

Anything over last year at TE is an upgrade, just not expecting a big year yet. 2019 should be good though for Gesicki.
Sitton/Kilgore is better than Bushrod/Pouncey any day of the week and Quinn over Branch is a large upgrade

10 wins if any kind of health -- not the decimating injuries to QB, OL, DL, LB and S.

It's not even arguable, imo, that Miami has the start of a real NFL roster, especially at skill positions, for the first time in forever. And, the arrow is also pointing up on TEAM -- chemistry and character. Lots of hard workers and leaders who will know playbook and film.

So what if national media can't see it. The only variable to a successful season is in the health side. No longer on the talent side -- which historically is Miami's weakspot. Drafting for years on some mythical, specious intangible and not measurable talent -- upside, explosion, playmaking ability, etc.

Arrow is going up for Miami, imo.

LD

I can tell you exactly which way WR will go...you can’t lose a record breaking WR who never misses games and not know which way this group will go...

Yes, you can lose a record breaking WR and improve the group and production. You simply have to look at the context of that production -- how were those record breaking catches gained? How was the offense run in said production? Did said WR have to be schemed open and force fed? Did said WR win off the LOS and physical skill -- or something else? Huge questions that aren't answered from a stat sheet.

I loved Landry on this team but not especially how the team used him and ran the offense through him at times. He's definitely not worth the money given by Cleveland -- pure numbers. Anytime -- no matter the name on the jersey -- a pro team runs its offense through a 4.6+ slot WR, that offense is going to limit itself in explosive plays, spacing, running game, etc.

Miami is going to be more explosive this year with Gesiki, Grant, Wilson, Stills, and, to lesser degree, Parker. And I also like Gray. Intrigued by Smythe.

TE and WR is looking REAL in Miami, friend. With health, Miami will miss Landry a lot like they missed stuff the two times Cleveland took *productive* WRs from Miami. Which is to say, not much at all.

LD

10 wins if any kind of health -- not the decimating injuries to QB, OL, DL, LB and S.

It's not even arguable, imo, that Miami has the start of a real NFL roster, especially at skill positions, for the first time in forever. And, the arrow is also pointing up on TEAM -- chemistry and character. Lots of hard workers and leaders who will know playbook and film.

So what if national media can't see it. The only variable to a successful season is in the health side. No longer on the talent side -- which historically is Miami's weakspot. Drafting for years on some mythical, specious intangible and not measurable talent -- upside, explosion, playmaking ability, etc.

LD
I think the arrow is going up. I think most do. I just think some of us think this year won't quite be a playoff year, and that we're another year away. Some very promising pieces in there, but also a number of question marks. I'd also ask - where are the blue chippers? I think most playoff teams have a blue chipper or two. Can we currently say Miami does? I don't think so. Maybe Minkah will be, in a year or two. Maybe X takes the leap this year.

Is there anyone on offense? Not in my opinion. Maybe Drake can take that leap, although I doubt it - he could be very good, but not quite blue chipper.

Gesicki - how often do rookie TEs come in and make a huge impact? Genuine question. I know Gronk did, but do many? I'd have said not too many, but I'll bow down to any info anyone has on that.

People talk about losing Suh like it doesn't matter, and they say "Oh, but the D wasn't good with him anyway". Well, yes, it wasn't. But he's a complete and utter blue chipper. So, imagine how bad that D would have been without him? We have Raekwon and Minkah coming in there in the backfield, and yeah, they look great. But they're both essentially rookies, so we have to expect mistakes. We have massive question marks on the DL - if Phillips can make the leap, great. But if he's the same inconsistent guy we see every year, then what?

DEs - Wake can't go forever. Quinn - we don't know what we're going to get from him. Charles Harris will need to up his game considerably this year etc.

I'm just pointing out that .. there are both a lot of question marks, and a lot of inexperience on this Miami team. I see growth, I see an actual plan when putting the roster together, and I see so much cause for optimism. But ... I see playoffs in one more year, rather than this one.

I hope I'm wrong! But just because someone doesn't think the team is making the playoffs this year doesn't necessarily mean they're not optimistic.

Unless you're running Jerry Rice, or Randy Moss, out there, it is not ideal for a receiver to have 100 catches. Certainly not when its a slot guy that you are force feeding, and are not able to sustain drives.

LD

LD feeling good about this team is a good sign. For the years I've been on here, you've been down on the talent level of the Dolphins, and sadly, you have been right most of the time. I hope you are right again.

Back
Top Bottom