The MLB off-season thread | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The MLB off-season thread

Why? Considering Francisco Cordero got 4/46 last offseason. I believe in Moneyball and that every inning is important. Though i'll acknowledge it takes a different type of mindset to be a closer. Over the course of his tenure Mariano Rivera has been important to the Yankees. Brad Lidge and the bums the Mets had closing games probably was the difference between playoffs and not going to the playoffs. Gil Meche got 5/55 two seasons ago and i'd take K-Rod over him everyday.

I think it was a bargain. If the economy wasn't so f'd and teams weren't worried about people coming to games and making money he'd of gotten more.

Retarded is the Citibank still paying for the rights to name the Mets new stadium.

Closers are a tad overrated in my book and you can get a decent one for far less. If the Mets don't get better relievers, he won't be much of a factor anyway.

The Orioles traded Ramon Hernandez to the Reds for Ryan Freel and prospects. The Matt Weiters era in Baltimore is ready to begin (and he is a stud catcher)

It pisses me off. Ryan Freel will never be an all-star. but hes the type of player that if he can stay healthy, you absolutely love to have him. Hernandez sucks. So bascially Orioles replace a bad catcher with a beast(weiter), get rid of his contract, get Freel AND 2 prospects(who cares if their not that good).....

whatever. TB to repeat!

TB had lunch today with Milton Bradley and Jason Giambi. Both guys i would like to have on the team. Though i would pay more for Bradley. If we can get him around the 8 million range its a huge steal!

Winning the World Series*

Lidge was a huge part of them winning in the postseason. Though I think he was the difference between the Phillies and Mets. I think Jerry Manuel isn't a very good manager. Though if the Mets had any sort of closer they'd of been in the playoffs. Probably over the Brewers who were playing some awful baseball down the stretch.

To add more to my thing about needing a different psyche to be a closer. Remember the moonshot that Lidge gave up to Pujols? This was the first year he looked as confident as he was before that homerun. Even when he got in trouble he had a swagger. He blew the save in the all-star game but I don't fault any pitchers in that game.

With him signing and Vazquez going to the Braves I think the division will be better. Javy has good stuff he's just a headcase. Going to the NL and getting out of a homerun hitters park will help.

It pisses me off. Ryan Freel will never be an all-star. but hes the type of player that if he can stay healthy, you absolutely love to have him. Hernandez sucks. So bascially Orioles replace a bad catcher with a beast(weiter), get rid of his contract, get Freel AND 2 prospects(who cares if their not that good).....

whatever. TB to repeat!

TB had lunch today with Milton Bradley and Jason Giambi. Both guys i would like to have on the team. Though i would pay more for Bradley. If we can get him around the 8 million range its a huge steal!

It was either Boston Gammons or Buster Olney that commented on Adam Dunn looking for a deal in the 8/mil range. I don't know if Tampa would be interested. Also the Rays are rumored to be interested in bringing back Delmon Young for a package that would include Jackson or Sonnanstine.

It was either Boston Gammons or Buster Olney that commented on Adam Dunn looking for a deal in the 8/mil range. I don't know if Tampa would be interested. Also the Rays are rumored to be interested in bringing back Delmon Young for a package that would include Jackson or Sonnanstine.

yea i heard that rumor. but other sources have been quoting as saying Tampa would "never" take back delmon. Honestly might be just the fan thinking with his heart, but i would probably trade Jackson for Delmon. I truely believe the 2009 season will be his break out one. Id only be worried about Clubhouse chemistry. specially with Cliff Floyd likely out.(wish we could bring him back in a coaching capacity)

As for Adam Dunn, i like him. He would fit mostly what we would be looking for as far as a power DH with high OBP. except one big thing. hes a lefty that doesnt hit lefties well. we struggled with that over the course of the season and playoffs With Crawford, Pena, Iwamura, Gross, and Floyd being all lefties struggling vs. LHP. As well as Navarro hitting better from the left side and Longoria oddly hitting RHP better, it left only Jason Bartlett and BJ Upton hitting LHPs well. So adding another LH hitter would be a mistake IMO. Although if we can get Dunn for cheap i wouldnt be against it.(cheap being around the 6 million range). Of course Dunns hitting ability is underrated to me and he will probably get his 8 million and im suprised he isnt getting more then that.

although a guy we would probably sign because of money wise to play RF next year is Juan Rivera. I expect us to go after a power RH bat for DH and Juan Rivera to play RF.

if we could get Milton Bradley and Juan Rivera i would be thrilled.

yea i heard that rumor. but other sources have been quoting as saying Tampa would "never" take back delmon. Honestly might be just the fan thinking with his heart, but i would probably trade Jackson for Delmon. I truely believe the 2009 season will be his break out one. Id only be worried about Clubhouse chemistry. specially with Cliff Floyd likely out.(wish we could bring him back in a coaching capacity)

As for Adam Dunn, i like him. He would fit mostly what we would be looking for as far as a power DH with high OBP. except one big thing. hes a lefty that doesnt hit lefties well. we struggled with that over the course of the season and playoffs With Crawford, Pena, Iwamura, Gross, and Floyd being all lefties struggling vs. LHP. As well as Navarro hitting better from the left side and Longoria oddly hitting RHP better, it left only Jason Bartlett and BJ Upton hitting LHPs well. So adding another LH hitter would be a mistake IMO. Although if we can get Dunn for cheap i wouldnt be against it.(cheap being around the 6 million range). Of course Dunns hitting ability is underrated to me and he will probably get his 8 million and im suprised he isnt getting more then that.

This is a bad year to be an UFA. The Yankees/Red Sox always will have money. Both LA teams seem to have money to spend. Other than that teams seem to be reluctant to bring in guys.

I think that Delmon Young's a 5-tool guy and if he can get right he'll be a star.

It'll be impossible for C.C. to meet expectations with that deal. He obviously didn't want to be in NY. I think he'll opt out after 3 years. His first few starts at the start of the season weren't good if I recall correctly. Plus his postseason numbers aren't very good.

For having great stuff and average numbers alot of teams want A.J. Burnett.

It'll be impossible for C.C. to meet expectations with that deal. He obviously didn't want to be in NY. I think he'll opt out after 3 years. His first few starts at the start of the season weren't good if I recall correctly. Plus his postseason numbers aren't very good.

For having great stuff and average numbers alot of teams want A.J. Burnett.

this. Every expert has pretty much said that the only reason CC signed with the Yanks is because he wants to win a World Series badly, and with how they spend money, they will likely compete for a title every year. Everyone has said that CC pretty much had to talk himself into playing in New York and he was begging one of the Cali teams to offer him a deal.

this. Every expert has pretty much said that the only reason CC signed with the Yanks is because he wants to win a World Series badly, and with how they spend money, they will likely compete for a title every year. Everyone has said that CC pretty much had to talk himself into playing in New York and he was begging one of the Cali teams to offer him a deal.

Considering they had 6/140 on the table and he didn't sign immediately. It takes a different type of player to be successful in the city. A-Rod is a prime example. Great player til it comes to the postseason. Like it or not that's what Yankee players are judged on.

Yankees basically signed the next Bartolo Colon.

Sabathia's a great pitcher, but all of the IP the last few seasons are going to kill him.

mets are working on getting JJ Putz to be KRod's setup man in a 3 way deal that looks something like this...

Mets get Putz, Jeremy Reed, and Sean Green (reliever)
Mariners get Endy Chavez, Aaron Heilman, Franklin Gutierrez, and Mike Carp
Indians get Joe Smith and Luis Valbuena

The Rays traded Edwin Jackson to the Tigers for Matt Joyce

Both the O's and Nats have offered a Mark Texiera 10 year $200 million contract

Phillies got Ronny Paulino from the Pirates

Marlins are talking a trade that will send Robert Andino to Pittsburgh for Brian Bixler

Yankees basically signed the next Bartolo Colon.

Sabathia's a great pitcher, but all of the IP the last few seasons are going to kill him.

I saw Colon in the minor leagues and he got fat his last few years. He had a nice run with the Angels/Indians. He didn't work out for the White Sox. When looking at pitchers I think soft-tossers can throw more innings and I don't worry. Guys who bring heat I think are more likely to get injured. Also the K is a sexy stat but it runs up pitch counts on starters.

I'm a White Sox fan and i'm a homer. Though the best example of a guy who can throw a ton of innings is Mark Buehrle. He's got a fluid motion and does overpower people. Even the Braves teams of the 90's, Maddux and Glavine didn't overpower guys.

Sabathia has some deception in his throwing motion. He kinda stalls mid-windup. Most GM's probably will admit they hate the idea of long-term deals for pitchers. The ideal number probably is 3 years for the teams. Though other teams get desperate and they've gotta add more years. Seven years for a position player yes, a pitcher no.

Teams are rumored to be going to a 5th year for Burnett which IMO is crazy. Even in a dead market teams are still willing to pay for pitching.

I've heard that Hermedia to the Rays for Sonnanstine was shot down. Still waiting to hear about Bailey for Dye. I doubt Schneider goes to the BoSox. A's are back talking to Furcal.

Small market teams should get guys on the cheap while they can.

mets are working on getting JJ Putz to be KRod's setup man in a 3 way deal that looks something like this...

Marlins are talking a trade that will send Robert Andino to Pittsburgh for Brian Bixler

i like joyce, hopefully this clears enough money for milton bradley!

holy s###

Back
Top Bottom