The Myth Of The "patriot Way" | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Myth Of The "patriot Way"

I don't know about his IQ, or MENSA score, but he knows the offense inside out, rarely makes mistakes on reads, and makes quick, decisive decisions under fire. He's right there with Montana in that respect.

You take Montana ahead of Brady?

You take Montana ahead of Brady?
Wow.

A few years ago I would have said yes.

Today I can't, unequivocally, say that.

I do think if Montana didn't get injured, opening the door for Young, he would easily had one, and likely 2 more rings

Belichik finds players and incubates coaches who get it. Look at the cases of Brian Flores, Wes Walker and Sammy Morris. Flores was identified and incubated. Then guys like Flores identify smart talented players like Welker and Morris WHILE they are being incubated. This doesn’t happen in the time span that new GMs or HCs are given to succeed

Belichik finds players and incubates coaches who get it. Look at the cases of Brian Flores, Wes Walker and Sammy Morris. Flores was identified and incubated. Then guys like Flores identify smart talented players like Welker and Morris WHILE they are being incubated. This doesn’t happen in the time span that new GMs or HCs are given to succeed
Very good point.

That is one reason why teams like the Pats, and Steelers have been perennial contenders.

I hope Flores can be the long term answer here. A new coaching staff every three years is no good, but neither is keeping them if they prove mediocre or less.

Wow.

A few years ago I would have said yes.

Today I can't, unequivocally, say that.

I do think if Montana didn't get injured, opening the door for Young, he would easily had one, and likely 2 more rings

I, unfortunately, gotta take Brady. I've seen him do it too many times. It's infuriating.

I, unfortunately, gotta take Brady. I've seen him do it too many times. It's infuriating.
It certainly has been. I'm a Michigan guy AFA college ball going back to No Shembeckler, so I have a bit of a soft spot for Brady, I hate that a division for has had so much at our expense.

Just of curiosity, are you old enough to remember Montana's playing days? That SB against the Broncos was probably the finest offensive execution I've ever seen in a game of such magnitude.

After an exchange with another poster about the wisdom of using the BB blueprint of success, it occurred to me that there really is no such thing beyond the most basic level.

The Pats win at a very consistent pace. That's the only consistent thing about them. They are not even consistent in what they do week to week any more.

BB has done it with the long ball with Moss. He has done it with dink, and dunk slot guys. He has done it with TEs. He has done it with a power run game.

He has done it with a conventional 3-4, 4-3, 6 DBs, etc.

The key is flexibility, and I'm all in. It takes great coaching, and a lot of coachable players, but the results are unassailable.

Thoughts?

Like BB or not, attribute success to cheating or not, give credit to Brady or not, there are some things I don't think can be refuted.

Every sentient being knew NE was going to take away LA's running game and make Goff beat them. Ummm, everyone but the LA staff. BB has used the same formula for years and every coach seems surprised at it. None copy it. That's BB's talent - consistently winning the coaching duel.

NE varies from series to series. Run game, up-tempo, pass game. Again, I've seen no other team do that consistently.

NE has few elite players. They have a LOT of disciplined/smart players. Seldom out of position.

I'm amazed how few HCs seem interested in finding mismatches. NE does it every series. Brady sees a LB covering a RB and moves the RB out to the sideline, iso'ing the LB. A LB on Edleman? Quick slant or cross. I see NO other QB do that consistently. Yes, Brady is a master at it, but that's the scheme.

THAT is the "patriot way." It exists. Can Flores bring a version to Miami? I'm certain fans hope so.

Just of curiosity, are you old enough to remember Montana's playing days? That SB against the Broncos was probably the finest offensive execution I've ever seen in a game of such magnitude.

Montana's greatness is not lost on me. I simply prefer Brady.

Patriots Way:
1. Great Coach
2. Great QB....(some consider G.O.A.T) that agrees to play for half his worth
3. Favorable calls from Refs.

Last edited:
I hope our coaching staff has learned and grown as coaches being in the patriots system. If we can attain close to that level of success I’d be freakin stoked!

I hope our coaching staff has learned and grown as coaches being in the patriots system. If we can attain close to that level of success I’d be freakin stoked!
I love this "multiples" approach for our defense. Navigating through the playoffs usually requires you to be able to stop, or at least greatly mitigate a variety a of different offenses.

Wow. Helluva post.

But you're off on Brady. He might just be the most intelligent QB to play the game. And if you find me exaggerating, he's certainly top 5.

I look at Brady and see the QB that BB created. QBs like Peyton are self made. And that is why I regard Brady with some bias. He has accomplished a lot. But I also feel he owes much of his success to being in the right system with the right coach at the right time. Some greatness is natural, some is nurtured. He is the latter.

The gangly kid from Michigan would have been out of the league in 4 or 5 years had he been with most teams.

And maybe BB doesn't have as many SB rings by now with another. That part I agree. But Brady needed BB, not the other way around .

Together they did something very special. And that is what makes them great together.

Remember (paraphrasing) "Joe Montana was a great Qb in a great system". "Dan Marino was a system "

Brady is a Montana. Peyton was a Marino.

Back
Top Bottom