The NFL Combine Is Here | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The NFL Combine Is Here

I would counter that you have learned how these players performed over a two day period... without pads or gear.

Some guys have a great two days, or a very bad two days, but it's a very small slice of time.
True but I’ve also leaned a lot about what the player can and can’t do

I think the combine is about cementing your evaluations of players, not to fall for guy simply because of his test scores.

If you didn’t like someone before the combine, some impressive testing scores shouldn’t really change your eval on the player.

Yep! What does the TAPE show? If it’s not matching up with the numbers then that needs to be investigated.

Guy test super fast at the combine. But on TAPE he looks/plays slow? What’s up with that? Is he dogging it? Does he not understand what he’s supposed to do? Was he hurt?

Here’s the Top 10 list of fastest players to run the 40-yard dash at the combine:

• No. 1: John Ross, 4.22 seconds in 2017
  • No. 2: Kalon Barnes, CB, 4.23 seconds in 2022
  • No. T-3: Chris Johnson, RB, 4.24 seconds in 2008
  • No. T-3: Rondel Melendez, WR, 4.24 seconds in 1999
  • No. T-5: DJ Turner, CB, 4:26 seconds in 2023
  • No. T-5: Dri Archer, RB, 4.26 seconds in 2014
  • No. T-5: Tariq Woolen, CB, 4.26 seconds in 2022
  • No. T-5: Jerome Mathis, WR, 4.26 seconds in 2005
  • No. T-9: Marquise Goodwin, WR, 4.27 seconds in 2013
  • No. T-9: Stanford Routt, CB, 4.27 seconds in 2005

Here’s the Top 10 list of fastest players to run the 40-yard dash at the combine:

• No. 1: John Ross, 4.22 seconds in 2017
  • No. 2: Kalon Barnes, CB, 4.23 seconds in 2022
  • No. T-3: Chris Johnson, RB, 4.24 seconds in 2008
  • No. T-3: Rondel Melendez, WR, 4.24 seconds in 1999
  • No. T-5: DJ Turner, CB, 4:26 seconds in 2023
  • No. T-5: Dri Archer, RB, 4.26 seconds in 2014
  • No. T-5: Tariq Woolen, CB, 4.26 seconds in 2022
  • No. T-5: Jerome Mathis, WR, 4.26 seconds in 2005
  • No. T-9: Marquise Goodwin, WR, 4.27 seconds in 2013
  • No. T-9: Stanford Routt, CB, 4.27 seconds in 2005

How many of those “fast” guys have been impact players at the next level? I’ll wait!!

Yep! What does the TAPE show? If it’s not matching up with the numbers then that needs to be investigated.

Guy test super fast at the combine. But on TAPE he looks/plays slow? What’s up with that? Is he dogging it? Does he not understand what he’s supposed to do? Was he hurt?
Reminds me of "Looks like Tarzan, Plays like Jane." lol

Yes, that’s the point; most haven’t/didn’t.
40-time is only one aspect of athleticism, and in a vacuum, predicts very little.
World class speed does not matter. However, for WRs, CBs and to a lesser degree S, and RBs it does make a difference on where they are slotted provided they also have talent to play the game.

lets get Laporta and be done with it.
Right!! He’s been my pick for awhile, I just think we can get him a little later than the others and allow us to get a talented player at another spot

Really wish we had more mid round picks this year

For the love of god someone please take Cedric Wilson from us

World class speed does not matter. However, for WRs, CBs and to a lesser degree S, and RBs it does make a difference on where they are slotted provided they also have talent to play the game.
Agree with you a good amount here

Like others said, it helps cement what you may already think

One that is super concerning is Trey Dean, he seems like a good player maybe an Eric Rowe replacement… but 4.75??? That’s like unplayable for a safety… slower than many linebackers. I’m sure he can improve on it at his pro day… but it’s just that, a pro day time

Agree with you a good amount here

Like others said, it helps cement what you may already think

One that is super concerning is Trey Dean, he seems like a good player maybe an Eric Rowe replacement… but 4.75??? That’s like unplayable for a safety… slower than many linebackers. I’m sure he can improve on it at his pro day… but it’s just that, a pro day time
Yeah, recovery speed is needed in Fangio's zone and just to play.

Back
Top Bottom