The NHL Trade Deadline Thread | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The NHL Trade Deadline Thread

unifiedtheory

Thank you #54...
Reaction score
Since the NHL trade deadline is Tuesday, February 27 at Noon PST I thought I'd start a thread for everyone to post rumours and trades as they happen.

Traditionally it is a busy time of year for trades and the weekend that leads up to the trade deadline is usually ful of news as well.

A few names were taken off the market in the last day or two.

The Blue were rumoured to be shopping Eric Brewer if they could not sign him to a contract extension but yesterday gave him a four year, $17-million contract that will pay him an average of $4.25 million a season. The Blues also gave Manny Legace a two year contract extension.

The Bruins were shopping Marco Sturm. He wanted to test the free agent market but they gave him a four year, $14-million dollar contract that will pay him an average of $3.5 million a season.

The Blue Jackets are rumoured to be very close to a contract extension with Freddy Modin, taking him off the market as well.

I've read about Guerin possibly to the Islanders, LaRaque being moved, along with CuJo, Kevyn Adams, and Owen Nolan all being on the block.

The two most prominent Sabres rumors that i've heard about are Adams/CuJo for Biron. Phoenix would then re-sign Biron who is an UFA after the season. Or Gary Robert/Belfour for Biron. The Sabres are playing with a ton of injuries and while Regier is generally patient they're pushed to the edge because of the injuries. They've got 5 call-ups playing tonight along with their 7th defensemen.

The Anaheim Ducks have traded defenceman Shane O'Brien and a third round pick to the Tampa Bay Lightning for goaltender Gerald Coleman and a first round pick.

This gives the Ducks the ammo (the extra first rounder) to make a move for Guerin.

The Atlanta Thrashers have made a move to bolster their blueline for a playoff run, acquiring veteran Alexei Zhitnik from the Philadelphia Flyers in exchange for top defence prospect Braydon Coburn.

Good move for the Flyers, desperation move for the Trashers.

The Atlanta Thrashers acquired Keith Tkachuk from the St. Louis Blues on Sunday in exchange for a first-round pick and a third-round pick in the 2007 Entry Draft, a second-round pick in 2008 and centre Glen Metropolit. If Tkachuk re-signs with the Thrashers, the Blues also get a first-round draft choice in 2008.

A first, second and third round pick AND a functional winger for a guy who you have zero chance of resigning. TOTAL overpayment. Don Waddell was watching his team sink in the East and combine this and the Zhitnik move, he is doing what ever he can to get his team in the playoffs.

The market for Bill Guerin and all the other rental players just went up considerably. Every G.M. in the league wants to ring Waddell's neck right now.

The Atlanta Thrashers acquired Keith Tkachuk from the St. Louis Blues on Sunday in exchange for a first-round pick and a third-round pick in the 2007 Entry Draft, a second-round pick in 2008 and centre Glen Metropolit. If Tkachuk re-signs with the Thrashers, the Blues also get a first-round draft choice in 2008.

A first, second and third round pick AND a functional winger for a guy who you have zero chance of resigning. TOTAL overpayment. Don Waddell was watching his team sink in the East and combine this and the Zhitnik move, he is doing what ever he can to get his team in the playoffs.

The market for Bill Guerin and all the other rental players just went up considerably. Every G.M. in the league wants to ring Waddell's neck right now.

As desperate as it is, this is a team that must make the playoffs, the GM is obviously fighting for his job, is he selling the future I don't know they're a young team, but this franchise has yet to make the playoffs as the Thrashers. Last time they were in the playoffs was when they were the Atlanta Flames.

This team will be fine in the future they are young right now anyways, there not selling there whole future. They need to find a consistant goalie though.

As desperate as it is, this is a team that must make the playoffs, the GM is obviously fighting for his job, is he selling the future I don't know they're a young team, but this franchise has yet to make the playoffs as the Thrashers. Last time they were in the playoffs was when they were the Atlanta Flames.

This team will be fine in the future they are young right now anyways, there not selling there whole future. They need to find a consistant goalie though.

I think giving up a 1st, 2nd and a 3rd for a guy who won't be on your team in 2 months is a horrible move.

I really like [SIZE=-1]Kari Lehtonen but I think they heaped too mich on him all at once. They should have found themselves an older, experienced backup who they could rely on to play 30 games. And no, I don't consider Johan Hedberg that guy...LOL.[/SIZE]

Rivet to San Jose for Josh Gorges and a 1st. I can't belive that Craig freakin' Rivet- a #4 defenseman- fetched a 1st round pick. GM's seem to be passing 1st's around like joints right now.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=197701&hubname=

And he's a UFA! You are paying a first rounder to rent Craig Rivet for 4 months? I know the Sharks won't be picking too high but still, a first for Rivet is obscene.

The more deals I see the more I am liking what the Preds did for Forsberg. Yes, they paid a premium but they are LOADED with young D-men and gave up argueably their 4th best prospect and a forward who was a 4th liner on their team and a couple of picks BUT they got one of the best players in the World (when he is healthy).

The teams that were looking to deal (Sharks, Preds and Thrashers) are basically done now. Teams don't want to give up roster players. I see the Ducks doing something pretty soon, that's why they got that first rounder from Tampa in trade.

That said, Brian Burke is traditionally stingy with high picks, I don't see him giving up a package like the Thrasher gave up so he can get Guerin.

I'm probably wrong though cause if you had told me Craig Rivet would fetch a 1st rounder I would have died laughing. This could be quiet deadline.

Just reading the thread at what some GM's are giving up I almost want GM Garth to deal Blake so the Isles can grab a couple firsts for him. I mean damn if Tkachuk is worth that much at age 34 then whats a player with better stats, better wheels, and a more all around game (PK, PP, even strength) worth? Its got to be a tough situation seeing what other teams are getting for lesser players knowing youre on the brink of making the playoffs and not being able to pull the trigger :(

Back
Top Bottom