***The official '08 Florida marlins thread*** | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

***The official '08 Florida marlins thread***

phinphan896

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I know we're probably gonna end up last in the NL but we just got a new stadium so its all good for now

Say hello to your new cheerleader fellas.....

clear.gif

Hopefully they can end the Mets' season again this year. I predict Hanley will be the batting champ this year.

I really think the Marlins are going to surprise people this year. Not saying they will the playoffs or anything, but they will still surprise.
if they play better defense and the pitching is better and not walking everyone, we finish at least 10 games better than last year barring injuries

last year really sucked due to injuries (3/5 of our projected rotation missed most of the year, and our pen was not great) plus, we had some bad D (and offensive holes at CF and C). Now we have holes at C (though Rabalo is a decent back up) and 3B(maybe)

I think if Andrew Miller and Cam Maybin live up to their potential like Hanley, Uggla, and JJ did we should be alright.

I'll be honest, I expect Chris Coughlin to be called up sooner than later as he's a very good hitter.

I also expect us to start keeping our young guys since we've got the stadium deal.

I really don't think we were as bad last year as everyone made us out to be. We were in the thick of things for a while, but a couple of losing streaks caused our young team to give up prematurely. If Luis Gonzalez can provide some solid veteran leadership, and if Hanley steps up to become the face of the franchise now that D-Train is gone, I really think we can finish above .500. This is a talented team, folks.

My only question is, who in the hell is pitching on opening day? Scott Olsen? Ugh.

last year really sucked due to injuries (3/5 of our projected rotation missed most of the year, and our pen was not great) plus, we had some bad D (and offensive holes at CF and C). Now we have holes at C (though Rabalo is a decent back up) and 3B(maybe)

I think if Andrew Miller and Cam Maybin live up to their potential like Hanley, Uggla, and JJ did we should be alright.

I'll be honest, I expect Chris Coughlin to be called up sooner than later as he's a very good hitter.

I also expect us to start keeping our young guys since we've got the stadium deal.
actually our bullpen was tremendous last year...our starting pitching and defense were absolutely god awful though...and we even added more good arms to our pen...so if our defense plays better...our pitching should be better

actually our bullpen was tremendous last year...our starting pitching and defense were absolutely god awful though...and we even added more good arms to our pen...so if our defense plays better...our pitching should be better

let me rephrase, our pen was bad early in the year cause Beinfest had a mancrush on Jorge Julio and insisted that he be the closer. Then there were stretches early where we struggled to get to Gregg cause of injuries to Tank,Lindstrom, and Owens (while Gardner was up and down, as was Pinto). Miller was a great find for the pen. And yeah the starters sucked, only Mitre was really consistent (VandenHurk was not ready to be a starter yet, and Kim was surprisingly effective with us). I think the young staff did decent with Moehler's veteran presence, but we really didn't have that last year. I hope Hendrickson can give them a leader (or maybe most of their arms fell off due to Girardi who knows)

I can't wait to see this years pitching staff. A lot of young gunslingers. Theres like 10 pitchers over 6'5" too. That's ridiculous.

Looks like JJ may be back sooner than expected:
Could Josh Johnson be ready to pitch again for the Marlins as early as July?

''That's a secret goal, I guess,'' Johnson said Tuesday after completing a 30-pitch bullpen session. ``I haven't ruled out anything.''

Johnson, who underwent elbow ligament replacement surgery on Aug. 3, is now throwing fastballs off a mound every four days in a planned progression toward a likely summer comeback.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/breaking_news/story/438821.html

Back
Top Bottom