***The official '08 Florida marlins thread*** | Page 16 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

***The official '08 Florida marlins thread***

Right now the deal is on hold because the Marlins are refusing to give up both Ryan Tucker and Mike Stanton. In fact, Ken Rosenthal talked to a Marlins official and he said there was no way Stanton would be traded.

the guy is literally only days older than I am and he's hit 27 HRs in A Ball, and might be a top 5 prospect in all of baseball.

Rumors are Jacobs could be traded for a catcher which is fine, we can move Cantu over to first and call up McPherson (or move Hammer to first if we get Manny).

Then next year you'll see Gaby Sanchez get a shot at starting at first, and rumors are they'll move Chris Coughlin to 3B (for short term anyway). That would be an interesting lineup as Coughlin and Sanchez are not the power hitters Cantu or Jacobs are, but they are probably better hitters all around than those 2.

You know of a Finheaven-esque site for the Marlins by chance?

As much as bringing Manny in would be a huge boost to the lineup . . . I dunno . . . we shouldn't be giving up guys like Hermida, Stanton and whoever for what may only be a 2 month rental . . . I'm not feeling that.

You know of a Finheaven-esque site for the Marlins by chance?

www.marlinbaseball.com

As much as bringing Manny in would be a huge boost to the lineup . . . I dunno . . . we shouldn't be giving up guys like Hermida, Stanton and whoever for what may only be a 2 month rental . . . I'm not feeling that.

Stanton will NOT be traded. The FO has come out and has said he will not be involved in any deals, and will look elsewhere unless they are given an elite prospect in return. Tucker MIGHT be traded.

Marlins did aquire Arthur Rhodes though for Gaby Hernandez (ok prospect, but not in our top 5 pitchers)

Marlins trade prospect Hernandez for left-hander Rhodes

Arthur Rhodes' last game with the Mariners resulted in an ejection. Now the left-handed reliever has been thrown into a pennant race with the Florida Marlins.

4736-1.jpg
Rhodes

ESPN's Peter Gammons is reporting that Rhodes has been traded by the Mariners to Florida for pitching prospect Gaby Hernandez.

On Wednesday, with the Mariners' game against the Rangers tied at 3, Rhodes (2-1) loaded the bases in the eighth with one-out walks to David Murphy, Josh Hamilton and Marlon Byrd, all on full counts.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3512597

So is Rhodes the move that puts the Marlins over the top? I thought that Bengie Molina was going to be traded down there, but I guess it fell through on the desk of our clueless GM Sabean.

I could see you guys winning the NL this year. It's entirely possible, especially considering how weak most of the league is.

So is Rhodes the move that puts the Marlins over the top? I thought that Bengie Molina was going to be traded down there, but I guess it fell through on the desk of our clueless GM Sabean.

I could see you guys winning the NL this year. It's entirely possible, especially considering how weak most of the league is.

over the top? no idea. It definatly takes pressure off of Pinto(who was being over used)

If anything puts us over the top it's Johnson,Volstad, and Sanchez continuing to be very good as well as RiNo being an ace, and Olsen doing what he does.

But the Molina deal fell through because Sabean thought he could get a top notch prospect for him (he wanted either Sanchez or Coughlin).

Mainge's Marlins Top Prospects

Cameron Maybin - Carolina - .273/.366/.466 13 HRs

Looking at Cam's line, there isn't a whole lot to be super excited about, except his OBP which is nearly 100 points higher than his average, which tells me he's seeing the ball. But it's still a pretty average line.

Until I looked closer.

Cam got off to horrible start, barely hitting .220 in April. Which wasn't surprising, considering he wasn't even 21.

But since May 1st, he's hitting .291. Since June 1st, .315. His homerun totals have increased each month, except for July because he was hurt.

Now that he's back and healthy, he has started 7 for 15 in August and on the verge of absolutely exploding and making a case for a September call-up.

Sean West - Jupiter - 67.2 IP, 3.06 ERA, 43 BB's, 56 K's, 1.52 WHIP

West was one of our 1st round pitchers in '05. His first two years as a pro were outstanding, and he was considered our #3 prospect going into 2007. However, West tore his labrum in spring training and didnt pitch at all in 2007.

He is now healthy, and by all acounts his velocity is there (which is a huge concern for anyone recovering from a torn labrum. The only thing preventing him from truly taking off is his command. 43 walk in 67 IP is not good at all, however, he has a history of good control so I expect him to correct this at some point.

Gaby Sanchez - Carolina - .337/.424/.511

You are looking at your likely starting first basemen for the 2009 Florida Marlins. And why not?

Gaby holds a career .310 average and .400 OBP in the minors and is absolutely tearing up AA right now. Since the ASB, Gaby is hitting .454 with 9 homeruns. He hit 7 in the first half.

Logan Morrison - Jupiter - .355/.418/.544 10 HRs

That's not a misprint. Jupiter and the FSL in general is considered to be the most pitcher-friendly league in the minors and is the reason both Coghlan and Raynor skipped Class A Advanced. Apparently no one told Logan Morrison.

He is one of the younger players in the league but is obviously having no trouble with the FSL pitching. You would think if there wasn't another big first basemen in Carolina that he might see a call up to the next level.

Morrison is likely to join Stanton, Sanchez, West, Tucker and possibly Coghlan and Raynor as Top-100 Prospects in baseball

Back
Top Bottom