***The official '08 Florida marlins thread*** | Page 14 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

***The official '08 Florida marlins thread***

Things that need to be done NOW!!!!!

1. Fire Freddi Gonzalez. He sucks.
2. Get rid of Henrickson or put him in the bullpen. He sucks.
3. Get Volstad up here, NOW to replace Hendrickson.

We are really sucking now and the Phils are reeling and we could not take advantage of it. We need to get on a roll again starting tonight.

My top 5 Marlins prospects as of July 5th, 2008.

1. P. Christopher Volstad - Age 21- AA Carolina - 3.36 ERA, 1.27 WHIP, 91 IP, 30 BB's, 57 K's

Chris is having a solid consistent year after a rough FSL campaign in 2007. Expect him to be called up to the show if our pitching continues to be an issue.

2. OF. Cameron Maybin - Age 21- AA Carolina- .265 BA, .357 OBP, .461 SLG%, .818 OPS, 12 HRs

Cameron has had slight contact issues this season, but its encouraging that he is still getting on base at an exceptional rate. Its not out of the realm of possibility that Cam will get a shot before September call-ups.

3. OF. Michael Stanton - Age 18 - A Greensboro - .283 BA, .341OBP, .569 SLG%, .910 OPS, 21 HRs

Michael is absolutely putting up a power hitting clinic in Greensboro. A 20 homer season is extremely impressive by any minor leaguer, but is practically unheard of by an 18 year old, and Mike has 21 in JULY!

Now, he strikes out quite a bit, but he has plenty of time to improve.

For camparisons sake, Miguel Cabrera's numbers in A ball as an 18 year old were: .268 BA, .328 OBP, .382 SLG%, .710 OPS, and 12 HRs.

:up:

4. OF. John Raynor - Age 24 - AA Carolina - .299 BA, .393 OBP, .448 SLG%, .841 OPS, 6 HRs

Raynor has once again pieced together another solid season. Hitting, walking and doing everything else asked of him. Entering the 2009 season, the Marlins seem to have a bit of a log jam in the outfield. A possible solution could be trading Jacobs, moving Willingham to first, and letting Raynor-Cameron-Hermida fill out the outfield.

2B. Chris Coghlan - Age 23 - AA Carolina - .299 BA, .364 OBP, .429 SLG%, 5 HRs

Coghlan, like Volstad, struggled in his breif FSL season last year after an impressive campaign in Greensboro. However, he has righted his ship. Coghlan presents another problem for the FO next year, as he is blocked by Uggla. a possible solution being suggested is moving Uggla to third base and letting Coghlan take over at second, but I'm not sure Uggla can handle the hot corner and Coghlan already has 15 errors on the year.

Ryan Tucker and Mark Hendrickson to the pen, Chris Volstad and Josh Johnson to the rotation.

Oh and Dan Uggla and Hanley Ramirez were named to the All-Star team. HanRam is the first Marlin voted in as a starter (Sheffield started as a Marlin, but was voted in as a Padre)

My top 5 Marlins prospects as of July 5th, 2008.

1. P. Christopher Volstad - Age 21- AA Carolina - 3.36 ERA, 1.27 WHIP, 91 IP, 30 BB's, 57 K's

Chris is having a solid consistent year after a rough FSL campaign in 2007. Expect him to be called up to the show if our pitching continues to be an issue.

2. OF. Cameron Maybin - Age 21- AA Carolina- .265 BA, .357 OBP, .461 SLG%, .818 OPS, 12 HRs

Cameron has had slight contact issues this season, but its encouraging that he is still getting on base at an exceptional rate. Its not out of the realm of possibility that Cam will get a shot before September call-ups.

3. OF. Michael Stanton - Age 18 - A Greensboro - .283 BA, .341OBP, .569 SLG%, .910 OPS, 21 HRs

Michael is absolutely putting up a power hitting clinic in Greensboro. A 20 homer season is extremely impressive by any minor leaguer, but is practically unheard of by an 18 year old, and Mike has 21 in JULY!

Now, he strikes out quite a bit, but he has plenty of time to improve.

For camparisons sake, Miguel Cabrera's numbers in A ball as an 18 year old were: .268 BA, .328 OBP, .382 SLG%, .710 OPS, and 12 HRs.

:up:

4. OF. John Raynor - Age 24 - AA Carolina - .299 BA, .393 OBP, .448 SLG%, .841 OPS, 6 HRs

Raynor has once again pieced together another solid season. Hitting, walking and doing everything else asked of him. Entering the 2009 season, the Marlins seem to have a bit of a log jam in the outfield. A possible solution could be trading Jacobs, moving Willingham to first, and letting Raynor-Cameron-Hermida fill out the outfield.

2B. Chris Coghlan - Age 23 - AA Carolina - .299 BA, .364 OBP, .429 SLG%, 5 HRs

Coghlan, like Volstad, struggled in his breif FSL season last year after an impressive campaign in Greensboro. However, he has righted his ship. Coghlan presents another problem for the FO next year, as he is blocked by Uggla. a possible solution being suggested is moving Uggla to third base and letting Coghlan take over at second, but I'm not sure Uggla can handle the hot corner and Coghlan already has 15 errors on the year.
I'm not sure i agree. Why do you wanna trade Jacob's? I know he's injury-prone, but he's exactly what you want at first, provided he keeps putting up these numbers. I think we've got a good problem, not a bad one. It's never a bad problem to have too many prospects. You can't trade away players because this guy has proven he can compete...he still has to prove he's more beneficial than what is already in place.

yea, but do you want .255/18/50 or do you want .286/8/22? Willingham is legit in my mind, but i can think of 3 or 4 more games behind in the standings we would be if Jacobs hadn't hit a clutch homer. Just sayin', you want a power lefty at first.

i guess but i just wish he would hold backa little sometimes rather than swinging for the fences everytime.

I'm not sure i agree. Why do you wanna trade Jacob's? I know he's injury-prone, but he's exactly what you want at first, provided he keeps putting up these numbers. I think we've got a good problem, not a bad one. It's never a bad problem to have too many prospects. You can't trade away players because this guy has proven he can compete...he still has to prove he's more beneficial than what is already in place.

Because Willingham is the better player by far. And Jacobs' production is far below league average sans homeruns.

He's 13 out of 15 in batting average.

He is DEAD last in OBP. A putrid .288! Horrible.

Now, I like Mike Jacobs. He's a good guy, and a decent player. But he hasn't played like a starter as of late. But a .288 OBP is NOT exactly what we want at first.

He's got the rest of the year to prove me wrong.

yea, but do you want .255/18/50 or do you want .286/8/22? Willingham is legit in my mind, but i can think of 3 or 4 more games behind in the standings we would be if Jacobs hadn't hit a clutch homer. Just sayin', you want a power lefty at first.

No, you want a guy who is going to get on base, take some walks and drive the ball.

Jacobs .249/.288/.513/.801

Willingham .279/.373/.537/.909

Not even close.

Back
Top Bottom