***The Official 2007-2008 NHL Thread*** | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

***The Official 2007-2008 NHL Thread***

Every team that needs a puck moving D-man....so every team accept Detroit and Anaheim...LOL!

I'm thinking San Jose could make a move for him. They have the prospects to make it work and they need someone else to make their power play go. they have a good record but have struggled at home all year and look like a team that needs a shake up. Plus, Doug Wilson is always looking to make a splash.

The Sabres are using rotating Captains but I believe it's only because Campbell is not locked up long-term. He's good and it's tough to see a guy whose came through the system leave. The Sabres problem this year has not been their defense which has been very good. Jaro Spacek looked fat and lost last year, this year he's looked great. He's been hurt but I guess it's some consolidation for letting McKee go. Every team gets injuries but it seems i'm complaining the same year about the Sabres. Nobody stays healthy, when the team finally gets healthy somebody else goes down. I don't know who their trainer is but he's gotta be the worst in the NHL.

Looking at the numbers 13/124 seems to be alot. Though with the fiscal un-responsibility of GM's I think it'll end up being a steal. It's a shame because I really think that the lock-out was all for nothing.

The Sabres are using rotating Captains but I believe it's only because Campbell is not locked up long-term. He's good and it's tough to see a guy whose came through the system leave. The Sabres problem this year has not been their defense which has been very good. Jaro Spacek looked fat and lost last year, this year he's looked great. He's been hurt but I guess it's some consolidation for letting McKee go. Every team gets injuries but it seems i'm complaining the same year about the Sabres. Nobody stays healthy, when the team finally gets healthy somebody else goes down. I don't know who their trainer is but he's gotta be the worst in the NHL.

Looking at the numbers 13/124 seems to be alot. Though with the fiscal un-responsibility of GM's I think it'll end up being a steal. It's a shame because I really think that the lock-out was all for nothing.

Totally agree. They made an "idiot proof" CBA yet the NHL GM's are all showing that they are all idiots. They killed a year of the league so they could get this CBA and they are already whining about it.

Wait until the NHLPA uses their option of re-opening the CBA at the end of next year. That will be entertainment.

Totally agree. They made an "idiot proof" CBA yet the NHL GM's are all showing that they are all idiots. They killed a year of the league so they could get this CBA and they are already whining about it.

Wait until the NHLPA uses their option of re-opening the CBA at the end of next year. That will be entertainment.

Yeah, if you think another NHL-less season is entertainemnt.
Would've never thought it two years ago, but could we be that far away from another lockout/strike? Would they be stupid enough to let it happen again?

Yeah, if you think another NHL-less season is entertainemnt.
Would've never thought it two years ago, but could we be that far away from another lockout/strike? Would they be stupid enough to let it happen again?
It's a double edged sword. The players are watching the owners make money that is classified as "non hockey revenue" knowing damn well that it is hockey related revenue. They are also watching the owners make poor business decisions that hurt them because the cap is based on revenues.

At the same time the owners have backed themselves into the corner with the contracts that are being paid out. They fought this fight so they could lower salaries but the salaries ae right back where they were and going up.

The owners also have the "salary floor" issue. Teams are being FORCED to spend to the floor and losing tens of millions of dollars.

There are reasons both parties want to reopen it but if they do and more time is lost via a lockout or a strike they might lose me at that point as a fan.

It's a double edged sword. The players are watching the owners make money that is classified as "non hockey revenue" knowing damn well that it is hockey related revenue. They are also watching the owners make poor business decisions that hurt them because the cap is based on revenues.

At the same time the owners have backed themselves into the corner with the contracts that are being paid out. They fought this fight so they could lower salaries but the salaries ae right back where they were and going up.

The owners also have the "salary floor" issue. Teams are being FORCED to spend to the floor and losing tens of millions of dollars.

There are reasons both parties want to reopen it but if they do and more time is lost via a lockout or a strike they might lose me at that point as a fan.

The contracts being handed out are ridiculous. Guys should try to get as much money as possible. Though it draws a team into a corner and hurts the fanbase. I'm in Buffalo and it was transformed into a hockey city post-lockout. Though the their are too many teams in the league in markets they shouldn't be in. NHL coaches seem to have no job security also. So when a team does not have the talent they go back to playing the trap. I saw in this weeks ESPN the Mag that goals are down around .5 this year. I'll watch hockey regardless and i'll assume most people who post in this thread and the previous NHL threads will also. Though the average sports fan will not. I think the average American sports fan wouldn't even think of going to Vs. Though they probably will flip through ESPN or ESPN 2 to see whats on.

The "Ice Bowl," drew attention because of the atmosphere but it wasn't really good hockey. Though it was intriguing because of the elements. If the NHL wants any chance of not fighting with MLS for ratings in the USA they contract a few teams. Put a salary cap in place similar to the NBA. Enforce the rules all the time, not just the first 40 minutes of a close game. Get guys front and center like Nascar does. I can't match a name with alot of faces with Nascar. Though I know names. I don't believe people know names of some of the best hockey players in the league.

Toronto Maple Leafs....GET FERGUSON OUT NOW!

Went to the game against Carolina last tuesday and am going to the game against St Louis next tuesday. Leafs tickets are rarer than a Miami Dolphins victory so you need to be in the know to get them.....

I disagree, the contracts being handed out now are not ridiculous. What is ridiculous is that the non-hockey revenues are so blantly related thats all the numbers are nonsense. Common, I love the Isles but Charles Wang is losing 20m a year on attendance in relation to player salaries but add in merchandising, the TV contract the isles have, and some of the other stuff....You dont become a Billionaire by LOSING money.

With that said, I think Hockey will always struggle as long as they have 2 currencies. Its not the fault of either the US or canada that their currencies differ in value obviously but there is not enough done to help the canadian teams equal that out imo. Its obviously a difficult situation but one thats been ignored for a long time as far as I can see.

How these two points relate is that when you factor in the duration of some of the contracts given, average future inflation rates (roughly 2% a year in the US), and the fact the sport should continue to grow its not a stretch to believe that someone like Rick Dipietro will outplay his contract, as hes already doing. If you look at length alone 15 years is insane but if you factor in its only 4.5m vs the cap per year, its not so bad for a top 5 goalie who's team would be nowhere without him (as per Gretzky and Broduer)....

So the real question becomes how to balance these things for both sides and make everyone a winner in this. The owners have to be more forthright in this because until they do the players union will not believe their math. Bettman NEEDS to somehow get a TV deal even if its Nickelodeon that carries the games. Thats two of the best answers I can come up with.

Malkin on fire again last night, but please hurry back Sid...

6-8 weeks is a long time. <grumble, grumble> Injuries suck!

I agee. The non-hockey revenue thing is a complete farce. It's slippery slope the two sides will be walking next season. Both teams will have reason to want to re-open the CBA.
I can't see CBA negotiations not being opened up, but hopefully both sides will agree to work under the rules of the current contract until they hammer out a new deal.
Surely to gawd both sides realize a strike/lockout can't happen again.

BTW, this just in; JFJ out, Cliff Fletcher in. Blue Team will still suck

Back
Top Bottom