The Official 2007 Copa America thread | Page 16 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Official 2007 Copa America thread

The result last night is the reason why the USA are not respected in Europe. Top 20 in the world!!!!!!! No where near that.

The Copa America is the one time, apart from the World Cup, where you have a chance to show the world how good football in the US is, and you make a show of yourselves.

The "C" team excuse is'nt valid cause you sent your best squad to win a cup only two teams have a real chance of winning so you could qualify for the meaningless Confed's Cup.

it was our C team dude. Last I checked...5 starters missing is important. There is no doubt whatsover that the match would have been tight with our A squad.

The reason the europeans don't respect USA soccer is because of their arrogance. Who are you kidding.

Meaningless? It's good practice for the World Cup.

Had we sent our B squad, I don't think we would've been able to defeat Mexico's A team in the finals. Reason Mexico can send an A team to both is because they are not in midseason like the MLS is.

Ehem... Mexico did not send an A team to the Copa America, we are missing Pardo, Salcido, Osorio, and Guardado... that is 4 starters, one of them (Pardo) the team captain.

Having said that, he is right, results like this (B team or not) are the reason Concacaf cannot get any respect, we do great when we play each other, but then we choke when we play out of conference (or should I remind both you and Section your confidence that Costa Rica was going to amount to something in the WC)

Ehem... Mexico did not send an A team to the Copa America, we are missing Pardo, Salcido, Osorio, and Guardado... that is 4 starters, one of them (Pardo) the team captain.

Having said that, he is right, results like this (B team or not) are the reason Concacaf cannot get any respect, we do great when we play each other, but then we choke when we play out of conference (or should I remind both you and Section your confidence that Costa Rica was going to amount to something in the WC)

I was dissapointed in C.R as well...they did choke pretty bad.

But I stand by my assertion that the full American squad would have played a very good game.

like I said..i am convinced that it would have been 2-1 or 1-1 with our A team.

it was our C team dude. Last I checked...5 starters missing is important. There is no doubt whatsover that the match would have been tight with our A squad.

The reason the europeans don't respect USA soccer is because of their arrogance. Who are you kidding.

5 starters missing? More like 8 or so. Howard, Onyewu, Bocanegra, Cherundulo, Mastroeni, Donovan, Beasley, Dempsey.

Otherwise, I agree with your post.

The result last night is the reason why the USA are not respected in Europe. Top 20 in the world!!!!!!! No where near that.

The Copa America is the one time, apart from the World Cup, where you have a chance to show the world how good football in the US is, and you make a show of yourselves.

The "C" team excuse is'nt valid cause you sent your best squad to win a cup only two teams have a real chance of winning so you could qualify for the meaningless Confed's Cup.

Others have already made the main points. But, I will add one thing about the Gold Cup. The main reason that's so important is for seeding purposes in the WC. In terms of which is more important for the WC, the Gold Cup clearly dominates.

In terms of which is more important recognition-wise, sure by far it's Copa America. But, Bradley had to make some decisions regarding scheduling concerns with MLS and even with clubs in Europe. So, yes it's a wasted opportunity, but the coach and players weighed the various alternatives and decided this was best. Can't argue too much with that you know. In the end it is primarily practice for the World Cup.

5 starters missing? More like 8 or so. Howard, Onyewu, Bocanegra, Cherundulo, Mastroeni, Donovan, Beasley, Dempsey.

Otherwise, I agree with your post.

I said 5 because of Dempsey, Howard, Bocanegra being in and out of the starting lineup.

but the point is well taken.

Without jumping down my throat.

Why would the US and Mexico not have there best players in this tourney instead of the Gold Cup.

Also could there players not have played in both tourneys??

maybe not as important as the Gold Cup. since US won the cup they are automatically qualified for the World Cup.(i think)

Copa america they were invited.

Without jumping down my throat.

Why would the US and Mexico not have there best players in this tourney instead of the Gold Cup.

Also could there players not have played in both tourneys??

see two posts above yours.

maybe not as important as the Gold Cup. since US won the cup they are automatically qualified for the World Cup.(i think)

Copa america they were invited.

We aren't automatically qualified for the WC. The Gold Cup just helps in seeding for the WC. The qualifications for the WC haven't begun and will take place mostly in the year leading up the WC.

Others have already made the main points. But, I will add one thing about the Gold Cup. The main reason that's so important is for seeding purposes in the WC. In terms of which is more important for the WC, the Gold Cup clearly dominates.

In terms of which is more important recognition-wise, sure by far it's Copa America. But, Bradley had to make some decisions regarding scheduling concerns with MLS and even with clubs in Europe. So, yes it's a wasted opportunity, but the coach and players weighed the various alternatives and decided this was best. Can't argue too much with that you know. In the end it is primarily practice for the World Cup.

They need to make the national team a priority, no one cares about MLS.
And I'm not sure there's even competition going on right now in Europe (at least not in the big leagues)

And I'm not sure there's even competition going on right now in Europe (at least not in the big leagues)

No... all european soccer is shutdown, these are FIFA dates, so even if there where games the European clubs would have to lend their players even if they didn't want to. The only league that continues play at this point is the MLS.

Mexico was going to take their best team, but a lot of the players argued being tired and dropped out.

Still, I think we should all admit that although are nations are in the top 20 of best teams of the world, we are still ways away from being elite.

Yeah, personally I agree, but it is what it is. MLS needs to schedule their games in line with the rest of the world, just as many others here have said.

Still, I think we should all admit that although are nations are in the top 20 of best teams of the world, we are still ways away from being elite.

We are both 3rd class. There needs to a class for the very best teams like Brazil, Italy and Germany (historically). Maybe one or two others can get into this group (like Argentina) depending on how good they are at the moment. Then you have the next class with teams like the Netherlands, England, Spain, etc.. Only after those are gone do you have teams like the US and Mexico.

But, top 20 is definitely realistic, though we're likely in the 15-20 group.

Back
Top Bottom