The Official 2007 Copa America thread | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Official 2007 Copa America thread

finsmx

Perennial All-Pro
Reaction score
Link

Wednesday's draw placed Colombia and Paraguay in Group C along with Argentina and the United States, while Peru and Uruguay join Bolivia and host Venezuela in Group A.

Brazil, which has won the Copa America seven times in addition to its five World Cup titles, will open against Mexico on June 27 in the southeastern city of Puerto Ordaz.

The United States will open June 28 against Argentina, which shares the record of 14 Copa America titles with Uruguay.
Venezuela plays the tournament opener against Bolivia on June 26.
The tournament will be played in nine Venezuelan cites and concludes July 15.

The first two teams in each group and the best two of the third-place holders will advance to the second round. The semifinals are set for July 10-11 and the final match for July 15 in the western city of Maracaibo.

Group order:

Group A
Venezuela
Uruguay
Peru
Bolivia

Group B
Brazil
México
Chile
Ecuador

Group C
Argentina
USA
Colombia
Paraguay

I realize this is hardly an official thread (seeing how this starts up until late june) but I just wanted to give it some exposure.

Anyways here's an in depth schedule.

Group A games:
Venezuela vs. Bolivia, San Cristóbal, June 26th
Uruguay vs. Perú, Mérida, June 26th
Bolivia vs. Uruguay, San Cristóbal, June 30th
Venezuela vs. Perú, San Cristóbal, June 30th
Perú vs. Bolivia, Mérida, July 3rd
Venezuela vs. Uruguay, July 3rd

Group B games:
Ecuador vs. Chile, Puerto Ordaz, June 27th
Brasil vs. México, Puerto Ordaz, June 27th
México vs. Ecuador, Maturín, July 1st
Brasil vs. Chile, Maturín, July 1st
México vs. Chile, Puerto La Cruz, July 4th
Brasil vs. Ecuador, Puerto La Cruz, July 4th

Group C games:
Paraguay vs. Colombia, Maracaibo, June 28th
Argentina vs. Estados Unidos, Maracaibo, June 28th
Estados Unidos vs. Paraguay, Barinas, July 2nd
Argentina vs. Colombia, Maracaibo, July 2nd
Colombia vs. Estados Unidos, Barquisimeto, July 5th
Argentina vs. Paraguay, , Barquisimeto, July 5th

Quarterfinals
(1) Best third place vs. Group B Second place, Maracaibo, July 7th
(2) Group A first place vs. Second best third place, San Cristóbal, July 7th
(3) Group B first place vs. Group C second place, Maturín, July 8th
(4) Group C first place vs. Group A second place, Barquisimeto, July 8th

Semifinals
Winner of game 1 vs. Winner of game 2, July 10th
Winner of game 3 vs. Winner of game 4, July 11th

Third place game
Semifinals losers, Caracas, July 14th

Final
Semifinals winners, Maracaibo, July 15th

It's about time the US competed in this. We made a serious error during Arena's tenure to keep relinquishing the opportunity to participate. Finally, some good competition!

Oh, and finsmx, with enough bumping I'm sure we can make this the official thread :wink: (at least until we have individual matches)

Man, this one is early....

Has brazil and Argentina confirmed they are sending their main team? Copa america tends to become dissappointing precisely because those two tend to send Under 21's with a couple of stars. And without those two there really is no point in holding the tournament.

Still here is to hoping Mexico, US and Uruguay do really good.

Has brazil and Argentina confirmed they are sending their main team? Copa america tends to become dissappointing precisely because those two tend to send Under 21's with a couple of stars. And without those two there really is no point in holding the tournament.

Argentina usually sends better players though, especially last time. But, yeah, Brazil only cares about the WC.. those spoiled brats!! However, Brazil better watch out. Italy now has 4 WC victories and it's only a penalty-kick loss in the WC that separates those two. Based on record Brazil is just BARELY #1 historically.

Theiyre number one in my book. I hate Catenaccio, hate how the italian team has historically played.

I have been rarely impressed by brazil for a while, but at least sometimes they play nice.

Ki8nd of funny that US and Mexico get stuck in two really difficult groups.

I mean they play the two superpowers, and the two other south american teams to reach the WC plus two strong teams in Chile and Colombia (I think Colombia are the defending champs). Couldn-t they have gotten Venezuela and Bolivia thrown in there, I mean to even it out?

Ki8nd of funny that US and Mexico get stuck in two really difficult groups.

I mean they play the two superpowers, and the two other south american teams to reach the WC plus two strong teams in Chile and Colombia (I think Colombia are the defending champs). Couldn-t they have gotten Venezuela and Bolivia thrown in there, I mean to even it out?

It's better for us this way. We need to think of proving we are good in face of the best competition instead of worrying about winning the Cup. Face it, both teams need constant top-level competition, so the more the better.

You think? :lol:

Oh but don't you worry, I will bump this baby come June :yes:

It's better for us this way. We need to think of proving we are good in face of the best competition instead of worrying about winning the Cup. Face it, both teams need constant top-level competition, so the more the better.

It is a bit early for this Thread but we can keep it as the "Official" one If we keep it active and post all rumors/news as soon as it hits. This would be good for us Soccer Heads that only get to talk about the Important Tourneys etc. So this is a good idea and a way for us to get a taste of the Summer games.

Yes it is about time for the US to participate in the Copa America again. Hopefully they'll take some stars...more so then in the Friendly vs Mexico.

Imagine If we can win that first game against favorites like Argentina like we did in the 2002 WC when we opened against Portugal. We would be in good shape to advance.

I'll also be rooting for Peru, but with the state of the FPF right now I don't expect them to do much which is sad. Solano is even criticizing the way it is being run right now and said he will NOT play if it remains the same.

If I have to root for a favorite, ill root for Argentina, but hopefully we see good Soccer in Venezuela. And If Bradley's still the coach by this, then I expect him to be here till at least 2008.

It is a bit early for this Thread but we can keep it as the "Official" one If we keep it active and post all rumors/news as soon as it hits. This would be good for us Soccer Heads that only get to talk about the Important Tourneys etc. So this is a good idea and a way for us to get a taste of the Summer games.

Yes it is about time for the US to participate in the Copa America again. Hopefully they'll take some stars...more so then in the Friendly vs Mexico.

Imagine If we can win that first game against favorites like Argentina like we did in the 2002 WC when we opened against Portugal. We would be in good shape to advance.

I'll also be rooting for Peru, but with the state of the FPF right now I don't expect them to do much which is sad. Solano is even criticizing the way it is being run right now and said he will NOT play if it remains the same.

If I have to root for a favorite, ill root for Argentina, but hopefully we see good Soccer in Venezuela. And If Bradley's still the coach by this, then I expect him to be here till at least 2008.

Doing well in the Cup is also important if the US ever wants to get seeded in the WC. You see how great an advantage seeding is. Being seeded mean you face another strong team maybe 1 out of 3 or 1 out of 4 times. Not being seeded means you are almost guaranteed to face another strong team, and 1 out of 6 or so times you'll face 2 (like the US did).

Our bad performance in the last WC lost us some points in the seeding business, but a good Copa can really help that out (remember that's one of the reasons Mexico and not the US was seeded - their record at top international level, which we could not match because we didn't even play in the Copa).

Im excited for US soccer and there future. I've been playign soccer for 11 years now and love it. Sure it takes a back seat when it comes to football(i play football for school because soccer is the same season so i cant play both unfortunatley). But I sure like it alot. Lets Go USA!!!!

Im excited for US soccer and there future. I've been playign soccer for 11 years now and love it. Sure it takes a back seat when it comes to football(i play football for school because soccer is the same season so i cant play both unfortunatley). But I sure like it alot. Lets Go USA!!!!

Any chance you're good enough to help out the Nats? :wink:

Back
Top Bottom