The Official 2007 Copa America thread | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Official 2007 Copa America thread

So does any of you follow MLS???

I used to. It wouldn't take me much to get back up to speed though if you're interested in talking about it. I've really only stopped following MLS since the WC.

I used to. It wouldn't take me much to get back up to speed though if you're interested in talking about it. I've really only stopped following MLS since the WC.

No I don't really follow it, I was just sort of gathering interest since I moved back to NYC, (I figure I got to follow at least one NYC team and the REd Bull sounds like they might be a good option)... Still I found out I can basically follow mexican soccer from here

(Of course I do that and we loose 4-2, and then 5-0)

Im not as huge into the MLS as i am into the Preimership and the Internation play but i know a good amount about it and enjoy it.

I like the USL Division 1 more because my local team (Rochester Raging Rhinos) are in it and i am a huge fan of them. They are really seriously starting to look into moving up to the MLS. It helps that they put in a $40 mil. stadium last year that is even getting upgraded this year and next. If they make the move i will become way more serious about the MLS.

As for the Red Bull, they seem like a team on the rise. Bruce Arena is their coach and they just picked up Claudio Reyna which is huge for their club. I dont know a whole lot more on them.

Hehe.. now we know how the official Copa America thread will still be here come Copa: we talk about MLS!! :lol:

Anyway, the good thing about the Red Bulls is their ownership. Finally, you have a serious investor in MLS. That team was the crapper of the league for a long time because of its failure to do much of anything in America's most important market!!

The only good model for an MLS team (and the only profitable one) is the Galaxy (and this was well before Beckham came). The Galaxy seem to have succeeded in catering to youth soccer. How they did it I don't know, but their stadium is sold out or close to sold out much of the time.

And yes, getting Arena will certainly help NY (glad they changed their name too.. I mean "Metrostars" is just :shakeno: .. Red Bulls actually sounds good); whatever Arena did or could not do with the Nats, there's no question he's among the elite in MLS, so you should expect good things from the Red Bulls. And because their owner has tons of money and is willing to invest it, the Red Bulls should someday get a star player too (right now, as far as I know, it's just rumors about who that will be).

U.S. likely to send "B" team to Copa America

The U.S. Soccer Federation and U.S. interim head coach Bob Bradley are facing a logistical nightmare. The Gold Cup will run from June 6-24, while the Americans' first match in Copa America against Argentina will take place on June 28 in Maracaibo, Venezuela. Given that club coaches in both MLS and in Europe will be reluctant to have their players participate in both tournaments, it seems likely that a different squad -- with a few exceptions -- will be used in each competition. Faced with that reality, Bradley made it clear on Wednesday where he would place his priorities.

"The Gold Cup is still the most important event for us," Bradley said. "Obviously, it's our confederation championship, but the main reason that I think it's extra important is because winning the Gold Cup will earn us three very good games in South Africa in 2009 [at the Confederations Cup]. Moving forward, the opportunity to try to play in order to get those kinds of games is very important."

Link

:rolleyes2

The U.S. Soccer Federation and U.S. interim head coach Bob Bradley are facing a logistical nightmare. The Gold Cup will run from June 6-24, while the Americans' first match in Copa America against Argentina will take place on June 28 in Maracaibo, Venezuela. Given that club coaches in both MLS and in Europe will be reluctant to have their players participate in both tournaments, it seems likely that a different squad -- with a few exceptions -- will be used in each competition. Faced with that reality, Bradley made it clear on Wednesday where he would place his priorities.

"The Gold Cup is still the most important event for us," Bradley said. "Obviously, it's our confederation championship, but the main reason that I think it's extra important is because winning the Gold Cup will earn us three very good games in South Africa in 2009 [at the Confederations Cup]. Moving forward, the opportunity to try to play in order to get those kinds of games is very important."

Link

CRAP is all I can say. OK, let's actually tie Copa America and MLS together:wink:

MLS needs to take place from fall to spring instead of spring to fall. I mean I understand why all other things being equal spring to fall is better, but since the rest of the world operates on a different schedule, the US is doing a disservice to itself with this arrangement.

Anyway, thanks for the news finsmx.

Link

Wow, talk about bad scheduling...this sucks.

Time for a :bump:

And some info about the FIFA world rankings as of April 18th

1. Italy 1,604 points
2. Argentina 1,594
3. Brazil 1,520
4. France 1,496
5. Germany 1,393
6. The Netherlands 1,302
7. Portugal 1,292
8. England 1,278
9. Spain 1,237
10. Czech Republic 1,169
11. Ukraine 1,021
12. Croatia 1,011
13. Cameroon 968
14. Romania 929
15. Greece 905
16. Russia 901
17. Turkey 892
18. México 888
19. Scotland 885
20. Switzerland 877
23. Uruguay 862
26. Colombia 825
29. United States 782
30. Ecuador 780

Following the finsmx thing... It seems like ckb can rest a little easier, but that players are not very happy...

So who's willing to step up? Many of the U.S. players are more eager to play in the Gold Cup, especially MLS players (none more vocal than Landon Donovan), who could miss several weeks of the season between the two tournaments and training camps. But Bradley has suggested he plans to bring a close-to-full-strength roster to the Copa América.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/jonah_freedman/06/06/usa.summer/1.html

How can you put more importance to the gold Cup than to the Copa America is beyond me.... well here's to kicking yer ***** in the Gold Cup!!

Following the finsmx thing... It seems like ckb can rest a little easier, but that players are not very happy...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/jonah_freedman/06/06/usa.summer/1.html

How can you put more importance to the gold Cup than to the Copa America is beyond me.... well here's to kicking yer ***** in the Gold Cup!!

So, Donovan is more eager to play against Guatemala (no offense to my buddy Guate), El Salvador and T and T than to play against Argentina, Paraguay and Colombia?

Ookay :rolleyes:

So, Donovan is more eager to play against Guatemala (no offense to my buddy Guate), El Salvador and T and T than to play against Argentina, Paraguay and Colombia?

Ookay :rolleyes:

Sounds like it... just as long as he doesnt have to leave mommy or daddy in la for too long.

Brazil's official squad for Copa America (Ronaldinho and Kaka out)

Goalkeepers: Helton (Porto), Doni (Roma).

Defenders: Alex Silva (São Paulo), Alex (PSV Eindhoven), Juan (Bayer Leverkusen), Naldo (Werder Bremen), Gilberto (Hertha Berlin), Maicon (Internazionale), Daniel Alves (Seville), Kleber (Santos).

Midfielders: Josue (São Paulo), Diego (Werder Bremen), Elano (Shakhtar Donetsk), Mineiro (Hertha Berlin), Anderson (Manchester United), Fernando (Bordeaux), Gilberto Silva (Arsenal), Ze Roberto (Santos).

Forwards: Robinho (Real Madrid), Vagner Love (CSKA Moscow), Afonso (Herenveen), Fred (Lyon).

Good news for México (the squad), bad news for us fans i guess.

Link

Brazil's official squad for Copa America (Ronaldinho and Kaka out)

Goalkeepers: Helton (Porto), Doni (Roma).

Defenders: Alex Silva (São Paulo), Alex (PSV Eindhoven), Juan (Bayer Leverkusen), Naldo (Werder Bremen), Gilberto (Hertha Berlin), Maicon (Internazionale), Daniel Alves (Seville), Kleber (Santos).

Midfielders: Josue (São Paulo), Diego (Werder Bremen), Elano (Shakhtar Donetsk), Mineiro (Hertha Berlin), Anderson (Manchester United), Fernando (Bordeaux), Gilberto Silva (Arsenal), Ze Roberto (Santos).

Forwards: Robinho (Real Madrid), Vagner Love (CSKA Moscow), Afonso (Herenveen), Fred (Lyon).

Good news for México (the squad), bad news for us fans i guess.

Link

That is still a good team... I hear that Argentina is going with Messi, Tevez and Crespo up front. Plus Gago, Mascha, Cambiasso.... damn they gonna be tough.

From everything I've seen/read, it seems the US team will NOT be taking such a strong team. Donovan might not be going as well as some other starters. Bradley said anywhere from 8-12 players from the Gold Cup will be going to the Copa America. Now that is a good number BUT it could consist of the backup players on this Gold Cup roster. Heck, he has even said that Howard nor Keller will be in the Copa America roster, however that could change and I HOPE that it does.

As for which tournament is MORE important. For the US and Mexico, no question it is the Gold Cup. Not only is it OUR championship, but as Bradley has pointed out, the winner gets to go to the Confederations Cup in 2009 which is in South Africa, one year before the actual World Cup. Basically, it will be some major practice for the 2010 World Cup in the US' eyes...

Back
Top Bottom