The Official 2007 Copa America thread | Page 19 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Official 2007 Copa America thread

I think the arrogance is on the US side. I remember the big talk before last year's WC how they could win it all and how they are amongst the top teams and the only ones ahead of them were Brazil.

And honestly, even if the Europeans would be arrogant they deserve it. Europeans (mainly France, Italy, Germany) and South Americans (mainly Brazil and Argentina) are dominating the WC.

All I hear from the US squad are excuses: oh they cheated us, oh we play with our c-team. There is a difference between playing proud and being arrogant. Throughout the world teams play with pride, the US is arrogant.

I highly doubt that you can call any National Team a C-Squad. There is really only your top team and then your reserves. Unless you go in every position into the 3rd squad you play with a modified top team. All the teams have to do it at one point or another. Most of the times it is because of injuries, the US has chosen to put a few reserve players in. It was their choice.

US Soccer...arrogant? How can you even say such a thing and believe it?

FInd me WHO thought that the US could win the last WC? WHO?

Me and Prime Time are two fo the biggest boosters here and we agreed that a final four finish was enough to pop champagne and declare victory. One elimination round win was enough for us to be happy as well.

Where is the arrogance in being okay with going home in the round of 8?

I think he means some of the players said it was our best team of all time and we could win the World Cup with it. But like I said back then, what did you expect? "Yeah we'll make it to quarterfinals again and lose..." Gotta hope for the best. That is why they play these games. :)

Arrogant are the Argentinas etc. Expect to win WC every time...

Firstly I have no issue against the US football side, I just find it hard to understand why it was decided you would concentrate on a weaker competition that no-one outside of N Anerica is aware that its even going on, or the Copa which is shown world-wide.

All this stuff bout FIFA rankings and WC placings should'nt come into it. The US are very lucky to be in the very weak CONCACAF section, in that you will qualifiy for every WC because of the poor standard (same for Mexico). However by not playing stronger sides, player and team development can only reach a certain level.

The Copa I feel was a chance for you to gain vital experience playing against the top S American sides and actually takeing them on. In the WC you were placed in a tough group against three very good sides and were well beaten. US football will never be better than what it is right now if you dont compete against better sides.

i dont follow the roster or every soccer game but isnt the US roster now the ones who would be playing in the next WC? how many of the players who arent playing in the Copa America will be on the WC roster? Maybe theyre giving the younsters experience against these S.American teams. Preparing them for the WC.

i dont follow the roster or every soccer game but isnt the US roster now the ones who would be playing in the next WC? how many of the players who arent playing in the Copa America will be on the WC roster? Maybe theyre giving the younsters experience against these S.American teams. Preparing them for the WC.

They are missing 8 starters right now. 5 starters for sure..the other 3 are in and out of the lineup although..you can make a case that Howard is our #1 GK.

Firstly I have no issue against the US football side, I just find it hard to understand why it was decided you would concentrate on a weaker competition that no-one outside of N Anerica is aware that its even going on, or the Copa which is shown world-wide.

All this stuff bout FIFA rankings and WC placings should'nt come into it. The US are very lucky to be in the very weak CONCACAF section, in that you will qualifiy for every WC because of the poor standard (same for Mexico). However by not playing stronger sides, player and team development can only reach a certain level.

The Copa I feel was a chance for you to gain vital experience playing against the top S American sides and actually takeing them on. In the WC you were placed in a tough group against three very good sides and were well beaten. US football will never be better than what it is right now if you dont compete against better sides.

Look, I think all of us can agree the best would have been if the US sent its A team to both competitions. It really is a wasted opportunity. But, fact is the coach and players sat down, discussed this, and decided on what was actually done. And the reason did have to do with which is more important for the WC as well as scheduling concerns.

Are the US going to get another spanking tonight?

That Argentina game was UGLY for your boys.

USA vs Paraguay starts in less than an hour, any predictions?

I'm thinking the US can pull a tie out of this one, 2-2

Are the US going to get another spanking tonight?

That Argentina game was UGLY for your boys.

I think it's more likely we lose than tie or win. Of course, I wouldn't say the same if we had our full squad there.

Back
Top Bottom