The OFFICIAL draft Cam Newton Thread!!! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The OFFICIAL draft Cam Newton Thread!!!

Fin_Frenzy_84

Starter
Reaction score
Lets draft him and give him a shot!!! Now I am almost positive next comment will say he is the next Vince Young!!!
Quit hating on this kid... He is a winner!!!

It's funny how people want to brand this kid with the iron of previous QB's, it's like trying to say Andrew Luck will be another Pac Ten bust QB like Ryan Leaf or any of a long list of other examples. Every player is unique and different.

Explain???

---------- Post added at 06:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:11 PM ----------

I lol'ed on that one...

I have explained. Far too many times.

I wouldn't call Cam a head case but I do not like how his game translates to the NFL.

Obviously, Cam Newton has the physical tools he needs. That cannot be questioned.

However, my primary concern with Newton is his decision making skills and his ability to learn a complex NFL system. People need to understand that Cam comes from a high school offense. That's not me making **** up, the offense that Auburn runs is LITERALLY a high school offense. Gus brought that offense with him from his high school days in Arkansas. It's a very simplistic offense to run. Can knows where he wants to throw the football pre-snap and of that option isn't available, he runs. He doesn't check down often and he doesn't go thru reads.

That **** doesn't fly in the NFL. And his ability to understand a complex NFL system will ultimately make or break his career. One thing that will be a huge indicator of his ability to grasp the NFL systems will be his Wonderlic score. Some of you may dismiss the Wonderlic as "dumb" or whatever you want to call it but why that test does is measure how quickly one males decisions and how quickly one processes information. The Wonderlic score should not be overlooked when it comes to a QB. I know some QB's have scored poorly and played well at the NFL level so let's not use the 1% rule.

I have explained. Far too many times.

I honestly am sick of having a QB checking down every other pass... That may just be me but I cant stand it. I understand about the offense but im pretty sure with his work ethic he can learn how to run a pro style offense... Obviously like you said he has all the physical tools and needs to learn how to run a pro style. Well I gurantee with his work ethic he will know it soon!!!

I honestly am sick of having a QB checking down every other pass... That may just be me but I cant stand it. I understand about the offense but im pretty sure with his work ethic he can learn how to run a pro style offense... Obviously like you said he has all the physical tools and needs to learn how to run a pro style. Well I gurantee with his work ethic he will know it soon!!!

What work ethic? We know nothing of it. He hasn't had to devote hours upon hours to picking up a high school offense.

I think the comparison to JaMarcus Russell is more about work ethic than the styles of each QB.

Every time someone says JaMarcus Russell people automatically assume that it's because they're black. I think the comparison is of size. Both always have been the bigger, better, faster, stronger kid at EVERY level. It isn't like that at the NFL level. There's too much parity. He's not going to run people over in the NFL.

Take a look at Mike Vick. Dude was average when he went to prison. He comes back, and he dominates everyone. But as the season went on, he began to look human again. Why? Teams had more and more film on the new Mike Vick and made defensive adjustments to stop him. And it worked. He looked average at best late in the season.

I worry about Cam's decision making. Dude is stealing laptops at Florida and tossing them out windows. Dude is cheating at Florida. If you can't get a degree at Florida without cheating, you're just not very bright lol. FACT. Florida isn't exactly a tough school to get an education from. And people think that just because he makes bad decisions at school and off the field that it has nothing to do with his game on the field. 100% wrong. How many kids do you know from high school who made bad decisions in the classroom and ****ed off and then later on in life you find out they're in jail for making bad decisions. It applies to both. People who make bad decisions make bad decisions period.

So when you don't want Cam Newton checking down, perhaps he's making the bad decision to force a ball into coverage increasing the risk of turnovers.

Now I'm a guy who likes Cam Newton. But I don't like him in the NFL. His game just doesn't translate well at all. I think he'll have some early success but then teams will figure it all out and that's when Cam will be forced to make HIS adjustments in the film room.

I'd be very very skeptical of drafting Cam Newton. If he can prove that he's capable of scoring high on the Wonderlic, then maybe I'll re-evaluate. But until then, I want nothing to do with him. I think a lot of you are just excited about the size and what he did in college. No one here talked about Roethlisberger when he was in college. Now why is that? Because Roethlisberger wasn't "exciting" in college but his game translated well to the pros and you could see it in college. That's not Cam Newton.

Here is Cam Newton's PASSING against Georgia.

http://youtu.be/ykzlReEscog

That's an unlisted link so you won't be able to find it by searching YouTube.

1st Play: Direct flip to his far left receiver. Pre-snap, Cam knew exactly where he was throwing the football.

2nd Play: You can see that Cam's first read isn't open, and Cam has to throw elsewhere and then it's intercepted.

3rd Play: Cam knows where he wants to throw pre-snap. That option isn't there so he runs.

4th Play: Watch the playaction. Cam has zeroed in on the far receiver as soon as he playactions. Never made any other read. He knows exactly where he wants to throw the football.

5th Play: Cam identifies the blitz to his right side. Comes right back to his left to the back out of the backfield. He knew exactly where he was going with the football pre-snap. Designed screen.

6th Play: Cam's first option is taken away. He then has to look elsewhere. Georgia got there just a little too early but they read Cam perfectly.

7th Play: Playaction. Again, Cam knows exactly where he's going pre-snap. Designed read option. This is a lot of what Chip Kelly and Derron Thomas did this season that made them so successful. Fake handoff, QB steps up, then steps back and fires over the middle.

8th Play: Rolls to his right, locked onto his intended receiver the entire time.

9th Play: Rolls to his left. His intended receiver is blanketed and Georgia brought more than Auburn could handle. Again, pre-snap he knows where he wants to throw the football.

10th Play: Makes one read and it's the guy the play is designed for. This is Gus Mahlzan's MO. This is how his offense works. Very, very simplistic.

11th Play: Same as the 7th play only this time he locks on to his intended receiver and waits for him to get open.

12th Play: Designed playaction screen play. Lineman pull and allow the blitzer to go free. Cam knows this when he rolls to his right and knows he's gonna have to get rid of the football quickly. Gus does a very good job of explaining to his offense how defenses will react to his playcalls.

13th Play: Probably the best pass he throws in this video. Playaction pass but it appears that Cam makes more than one read for this first time in this video and delivers a strike for six.

14th Play: Cam throws left to the intended receiver. Pre-snap Cam knows where he wants to throw the football. Auburn receivers do a great job of getting open due to Mahlzan's system.

I'm sure the rest of the video is similar but I'm done with it. This is the Auburn system. This is how it works. If you look at Gus Mahlzan's career, he has been very very successful with his QB's and WR's. Cam doesn't have to make reads, doesn't have to adjust, rarely runs for his life in the pocket. These are things he will face in the NFL on every single play. Not all of these kids in college are five stars. The dudes in the NFL are the best of the best. Cam has to be capable of understanding complex NFL systems and read complex NFL defenses.

I believe you could go play by play picking apart every single throw that Peyton Manning and Tom Brady make, given the proper...motivation.

....well if Cam's still available in the later rounds....I say...yes draft him.....we could use a good TE...

Back
Top Bottom